• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hellsing Ultimate OVA Joins Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
No Comment

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Nice! I knew whenever I was gonna watch this, it had to be the dubbed version. And since I don't want to track down all the individual releases and don't know when/if they'll put out a complete collection I am definitely gonna watch this.

But 3 AM... I have a hard enough time sitting around till 12:30 for Space Dandy (of course whatever insanity is entailed within the week's episode instantly wakes me up), I think I might have to DVR this
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
No Comment wrote:
Nice! I knew whenever I was gonna watch this, it had to be the dubbed version. And since I don't want to track down all the individual releases and don't know when/if they'll put out a complete collection I am definitely gonna watch this.

Three sets: I-IV, V-VIII, IX-X
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
I already own the series and have pre-ordered the final two episodes to the series. But still, glad to see that Hellsing Ultimate will be getting some mainstream exposure via Toonami.

Same, it's great that they are airing it. And it's another top tier dub.

With Hellsing Ultimate coming on it it reminds me, it's probably slowly getting too old for them to consider though it's modern enough to be in widescreen, but the original Last Exile is one of the remaining ones from this group I'd hoped to see them get someday, not that I expect it anymore like back then. The premise, overall story and scale of the adventure, plus the excellent dub and cool, interesting aerial visual style would all fit pretty nicely on Toonami.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Great decision, but the fact that freaking Beware the Batman is airing before it and not the other way around is...irksome.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:27 pm Reply with quote
3am time slot it would be to bad if it was an hour earlier
Veniamin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait, Hellsing Ultimate is like one of the select certain anime with a great dub. especially that intro

"My master. you father called me... Alucard."

Shit gave me goosebumps.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:51 pm Reply with quote
will they be able to show it uncensored? if so, man, Toonami has done a lot of growing up since the days of Home For Infinite Losers Laughing (yes, I know it's late at night, I just still find it funny)

now if only they would re-air the Read or Die OVA and finally show R.O.D The TV
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:23 pm Reply with quote
infamoustakai wrote:
Dessa wrote:
I've sent a tweet to FUNimation (since they announced it via twitter earlier and were retweeting people's comments), asking if it'll be played as 10 hour-long episodes (including commercials), or 20 half-hour long episodes (including commercials). No response yet.

Toonami has confirmed that it will be in one hour increments. It starts at Black Lagoon's slot, but they are taking out OG Naruto reruns to make room for the extra half hour.

Damnnnn, they're getting rid of Naruto? I was hoping it would last so I could keep watching from where they left off after they started it over last year, but I'm assuming they're getting rid of it because no one is really watching it. Probably because they DID start it over that no one is watching. Sigh, that sucks, but at least this is something new for me to watch too.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:57 am Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:

Damnnnn, they're getting rid of Naruto? I was hoping it would last so I could keep watching from where they left off after they started it over last year, but I'm assuming they're getting rid of it because no one is really watching it. Probably because they DID start it over that no one is watching. Sigh, that sucks, but at least this is something new for me to watch too.

The reason they stopped before was cause they ran out of episodes that they had the license for. I don't think they've extended that license to cover any more episodes so it's current run would either stop or restart at the beginning once it hits that point again.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:24 am Reply with quote
Sooo...would I have to watch the original Hellsing series in order to comprehend/enjoy these OVAs or...what?
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
On another note, this also ousts the various claims that Toonami would be unable to air Roberta's Blood Trail because of length/censorship issues. If this is getting in, there's a good chance we'll see that OVA series for Black Lagoon visited later down the Toonami line
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote
My friends, it has often been said that I like war.

My friends, I like war... No, friends, I love war! I love holocausts. I love blitzkriegs. I love defensive lines. I love sieges, charges, I love mop-up operations, and retreats.

Wars across prairies, in streets, in trenches, in grasslands, in frozen tundras, through deserts, on the sea, in the air, I love every act of war that can occur upon this earth.

I love blasting the enemy to smithereens with artillery salvos that thunder across the lines of battle. My heart leaps with joy whenever a soldier is tossed high into the air and cut to pieces by well placed sniper rounds. And there is nothing like a tank operator using a Tiger 88 to destroy enemy tanks. And the feeling that comes when a soldier runs screaming from his blazing tank only to be mowed down by heavy machine gun fire, is such an exquisite feeling.

Like when ranks of infantry brandish their bayonets rushing into the enemy line. It moves me deep within my heart to watch a fresh recruit stabbing over and over into the bloated chest of a long-dead enemy.

The sight of deserters being strung up from a street lamp is an irresistible pleasure. And there is nothing more arousing, than the sounds made by prisoners of war dropping like flies, screaming in agony as they're mowed down by ear piercing schmeissers!

When a band of pitiful resistance fighters makes their final stand with nothing but small arms, only to have their city smashed to atoms block by block by 4.8 ton bombshells, I'm in ecstasy.

I love it when my forces are ravaged by a Russian armored division. It's so sad to see towns and villages that were supposed to be defended at all costs, being laid to waste, their women and children being raped, and killed.

I love to be squashed under the heel of the British and American war machines. The humiliation, as my men crawl around like vermin, ducking the jagdbombers flying overhead.

Gentlemen... All I ask for is war, a war so grand as to make Hell itself tremble. Gentlemen, I ask you as fellow brothers in arms, what is it that you really want? Do you wish for further war as I do? Do you wish for a merciless, bloody war? A war whose fury is built with iron, and lightning, and fire? Do you ask for war to sweep in like a tempest, leaving not even ravens to scavenge, from this Earth!?

...Very well. Then krieg is what you shall have. We are a clenched fist, ready to strike down all who oppose us, with our might. But... After enduring over half a century wallowing in the darkness, for us, a simple "ordinary" war will no longer be sufficient. We need a MASSIVE war! A war beyond any other that man's history has ever known!

We are but a single battalion... The remnants of a defeated army numbering less than a thousand strong. However, I believe that each of you old warriors is equal to a thousand of their sickly soft children! We represent a force that could easily defeat an army of a million and one men! It is time for them to awake the ones who sent us screaming into oblivion, and who now lie sleeping. Let's drag them out of bed by the hair, and remind them of what we are! We will remind them of what it feels like to live in fear. We will remind them of the sound our jackboots make against their throats. We will remind them, that there are more things between Heaven and Hell than are dreamt of in their philosophy.

Our Kampfgruppe of one thousand vampires is going to burn this world down to ash. Yes, my friends! Soon, Europe's charred remains will illuminate the night sky! I have brought you all back just as I promised I would. Back to our favorite battlefield. Back to our beloved war!

...At last, the sea lion has crossed the ocean and is heading up the hill. Attention, all soldiers of the Millennium Battalion! This is a message from your commander.

Friends, let’s bring them hell.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:47 am Reply with quote
ShatteredWorld wrote:
Sooo...would I have to watch the original Hellsing series in order to comprehend/enjoy these OVAs or...what?

Not really as this follows the manga more closely while the TV series veered off into original territory. Despite the OVA being better, there's still nothing horrendously wrong with that show.

Either way, no complaints from me for once. This OVA was fantastic and I'm glad to see it on TV, especially since it helps set the trend of more OVAs and movies being added to the block over neverendingpowerupshounenfighting.

ShatteredWorld wrote:
On another note, this also ousts the various claims that Toonami would be unable to air Roberta's Blood Trail because of length/censorship issues. If this is getting in, there's a good chance we'll see that OVA series for Black Lagoon visited later down the Toonami line

Censorship for violence isn't an issue this is America after all, and any cursing or incidence of nudity is easy to cover up. I think the problem may have more to do with the awkward average run time of 33 minutes, meaning it's too long for a half-hour block and too short for an hour. Maybe the best thing they could do would be a marathon.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:34 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I think the problem may have more to do with the awkward average run time of 33 minutes, meaning it's too long for a half-hour block and too short for an hour. Maybe the best thing they could do would be a marathon.

Or a 15-min show
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
Where are you getting an average run time of 33 minutes?

1 - 51 minutes
2 - 43 minutes
3 - 47 minutes
4 - 56 minutes
5 - 44 minutes
6 - 42 minutes
7 - 45 minutes
8 - 49 minutes
9 - 49 minutes
10 - 68 minutes

2, 5, 6, and 7 should be fine. 1, 3, 8, and 9 will need minor edits for time, and 4 will need more edits. 10 will be iffy, unless they give it an hour and a half spot.

(for reference, after removing commercials, most US shows run an average of 22-23 minutes for a half hour program, and 44-45 minutes for an hour program).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3