• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hellsing Ultimate OVA Joins Adult Swim's Toonami Block

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Where are you getting an average run time of 33 minutes?

that's the run time of each ep of Roberta's Blood Trail
Ovan~the~Rebirth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Where are you getting an average run time of 33 minutes?

1 - 51 minutes
2 - 43 minutes
3 - 47 minutes
4 - 56 minutes
5 - 44 minutes
6 - 42 minutes
7 - 45 minutes
8 - 49 minutes
9 - 49 minutes
10 - 68 minutes

2, 5, 6, and 7 should be fine. 1, 3, 8, and 9 will need minor edits for time, and 4 will need more edits. 10 will be iffy, unless they give it an hour and a half spot.

(for reference, after removing commercials, most US shows run an average of 22-23 minutes for a half hour program, and 44-45 minutes for an hour program).

I imagine they'll feature music videos during the commercial breaks to pad out the time slot for the tenth OVA. They did that with the EVA Movie premieres and during the month of movies past December.

Regarding 1,3,4,8,9 they said on their tumblr page
Toonami Tumblr wrote:
FYI: Don’t worry, we will not edit for time! If content edits are required, the show will be edited to TV-MA standards.

Source: http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/95555231906/guess-what-hellsing-ultimate-is-coming-to

So looks like they will ONLY be doing content edits, not time.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I would have thought Hellsing Ultimate would have been to violent, but it's good they'll find a way. I've already seen all 10, but I'm glad others will be able to enjoy it as much as I did. Hopefully this will bring a complete set to market sooner rather than later. I'd love to replace my Geneon discs with a nice single boxset rather than a 3 piece set.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Wow, that's pretty freaking awesome, I never really thought that was even an option, I'll watch these again on Toonami.

I kinda doubt this is gonna work. for one thing its like 60 mins long per ep. not to mentioned that their is gonna be a shitload amounts of censoring that AS will have to do in order to be compliance with both its standards and practices as well as the FCC rules and regulations.

the TV series for hellsing?maybe. but definitely not the OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
Wow, that's pretty freaking awesome, I never really thought that was even an option, I'll watch these again on Toonami.

I kinda doubt this is gonna work. for one thing its like 60 mins long per ep. not to mentioned that their is gonna be a shitload amounts of censoring that AS will have to do in order to be compliance with both its standards and practices as well as the FCC rules and regulations.

Cable TV doesn't deal with the FCC, just their own S&P.
Your other concerns have already been answered in this thread, I believe.

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/95555231906/guess-what-hellsing-ultimate-is-coming-to
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Toonami is going to air Hellsing Ultimate? Lets see how they will the content because I really do think the really graphic dismemberments and on screen rape may pose a potential problem unless if it airs really and I mean really late at night that hopefully, parents won't watch it by then.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:

Cable TV doesn't deal with the FCC, just their own S&P.
Your other concerns have already been answered in this thread, I believe.

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/95555231906/guess-what-hellsing-ultimate-is-coming-to

oh that is what i though but considering that i have an uncle who is a former army sgt who is now an FCC insider is saying otherwise. sure they usually dont get involved with cable tv and what they show , but they do when ONLY necessary.

that wardrobe malfunction was more than enough proof that when it comes to broadcasting whether its local or cable they have reigns. its only premium channels like HBO they dont have control over. The only time and i mean only is when a broadcast channel shows something that is inappropriate and enough people complain about it is when they will drop the hammer and issue fines. some of them will be public like with the wardrobe malfunction, other fine get posted in the public domain. like it or not releasing the OVA is a major gamble 7for AS especially when it comes around for Vol 7 cause if they release any of that questionable content without any editing, better believe parental advocates are gonna complain like there is no tomorrow which will unfortunately cause the FCC to act in order to save face.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:01 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

oh that is what i though but considering that i have an uncle who is a former army sgt who is now an FCC insider is saying otherwise. sure they usually don't get involved with cable tv and what they show , but they do when ONLY necessary.

that wardrobe malfunction was more than enough proof that when it comes to broadcasting whether its local or cable they have reigns.

Proof on public broadcast does not extend to proof on cable. The infamous wardrobe malfunction was during the Super Bowl, which is always on public broadcast. The FCC mainly deals with free public airwaves. Very rarely do they get involved with private pay-in cable - they don't have the mandate as a public government entity.
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
Regardless on whether or not the FCC regulates cable channels, Hellsing Ultimate will be playing during the "safe harbor" hours, which is when stuff with sexual content and foul language can be played (violence is apparently not restricted to certain times). For reference, "safe harbor" is 10pm-6am.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Regardless on whether or not the FCC regulates cable channels, Hellsing Ultimate will be playing during the "safe harbor" hours, which is when stuff with sexual content and foul language can be played (violence is apparently not restricted to certain times). For reference, "safe harbor" is 10pm-6am.

true but its as i said. the eating of babies by nazi vampires. not to mentioned those "monsters" raping the corpse of seras's dead mother definitely wont fly well with a lot of people if they show that. the only way it would is that they change the S&P to give AS the same broadcasting rights as IFC. at least that is what my uncle said.

dont be surprised if they edit those content. and if they do show it dont be surprised that the FCC give turner broadcasting a fine which will of course will be published in the FCC's public domain even though it wont make news in the media.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:
will they be able to show it uncensored? if so, man, Toonami has done a lot of growing up since the days of Home For Infinite Losers Laughing (yes, I know it's late at night, I just still find it funny)

now if only they would re-air the Read or Die OVA and finally show R.O.D The TV

The only thing I could see them censoring is the F-bombs, they did that with Black Lagoon I believe. If it's on really late when kids are asleep, I wonder if they'll censor some of the later OVA episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3