• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA to Release Gurren Lagann on Blu-ray Singles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I've asked. There's usually either no answer or an answer you wouldn't at all be satisfied with for a variety of reasons.

Our reviews of their product just about always mention the prices (usually decrying how expensive they are). If we were as cozy with Aniplex as our conspiracy theorist suggests, that wouldn't be in there. I've talked at length on our podcast and in other public places about how crazy their prices are. I'd have been fired or at least scolded for saying these things - hasn't happened. My communication with the company is limited - entirely - to interview requests for convention guests that they're hosting here in the States. Otherwise we don't talk. I do receive review copies of some of their products, same as Funimation, Sentai Filmworks, Rightstuf and Viz which is standard operating procedure for any editorial department at an entertainment journalism organization. Receiving review materials does not compromise the review process nor does it influence our scores.

But here's the reality: no amount of internet mob rage will force a privately-held company in a capitalist system to lower their prices to whatever you deem reasonable. You can't force them to change their business model - which is all this is, a business model - and start charging less for entertainment product. The only way you can change that is by organizing a boycott massive enough to actually hurt their sales, which so far hasn't happened. Everything we know about Aniplex of America right now says that their approach to this, from a "staying in business" perspective appears to be working fine.

You seem to be under the impression that you can brute force a company into lowering their prices for you. Shy of mafia tactics you really can't. You can try an organized boycott, sure, but in my opinion if the enraged masses existed in the numbers you're suggesting, something would've happened by now. It's been years and years and years.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
traveling wrote:
SRP is 59.98. http://www.aniplexusa.com/gurrenlagannbd/

The whole series is going to cost $250. Laughing

Let this thread explode.

...You screwed it up. AGAIN.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I actually own the bluray import that has the artbook and stuff; it was my graduation gift at the time. It was free for me, but even if I had bought it at least it comes with ridiculous loads of extras for the price, unlike this barebones release for the price of the bones in your arm and leg.

I don't support Aniplex at this point; you keep buying overpriced stuff and they will keep selling it at that price. Even if I didn't already own it I would try to import it from England or something.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Second Fire Shadow wrote:
Once again the UK is here to aid our fellow America companions in times of Anime BD purchasing for the nefarious price gouging of Aniplex.

C'mon, it's only $146 for the Ultimate Edition on Blu-Ray, import it, you know you want to... Wink

Wow so not only is it cheaper it's actually nicer than the American release.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Whoever put the US and Japan in the same Blu-Ray region should be shot.

And if you don't support AoA's pricing strategy, then don't buy their products. While that won't cause them to change, at least you'd be being consistent.

As for me: I'm glad I already own this on DVD via Bandai. AoA can take a flying leap.
Leland Lee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
You seem to be under the impression that you can brute force a company into lowering their prices for you. Shy of mafia tactics you really can't. You can try an organized boycott, sure, but in my opinion if the enraged masses existed in the numbers you're suggesting, something would've happened by now. It's been years and years and years.

Firstly, thank you for actually taking the time for replying to my admittedly somewhat rage-rant. Secondly, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I'm just paranoid, I don't trust anyone, and I see schemers everywhere. It's totally different.

Thirdly, HA! I so called it! :< Technically I had zero information that your contact with Aniplex was limited - call it a lucky guess and me pretending to know more than I actually do. And now I do! You would figure a company would want to get as much positive exposure towards their products, but not only do these guys gouge their prices, ignore their fans, and avoid any sort of media exposure, you really gotta wonder what sort of goodwill they want at into this. You don't open an extremely expensive business for an insanely niche audience for stackin' fat Benjies while blatantly ignoring the domestic model. I'm sorry, but it's a f**king miracle they've lasted this long for this many years. Is it safe to assume that their only customers are an extremely few repeat customers? Cause, if that's the case, they might as well stop with the illusion of being a public goods company and re-brand themselves as a private membership program. Like those crazy guys...forgot the name...who charge $30 a month for a product catalog, that advertises $400 box of chocolates...that only members can buy.

And lastly, boycotting... I'm not gonna lie, I always found boycotting to be a sort of childish solution. It did its thing during the Civil Rights movement, but only because that was a mass civil issue. This is a bunch of entitled nerds being pissed off because a company thinks shit of us. Laughing Boycotting just makes us look like twats...if our ranting isn't already doing that. Which is why I prefer my import tactic! And I really wish that strategy would get a little bit more exposure.

Why don't you write about that? :/ "The increasing trend of anime fans importing titles from the United Kingdom to combat stateside price gouging!" Granted, it's not really an increasing trend... It's barely a trend... But trends don't get to become that without a little exposure! And it's not like it's hurting the industry - the original creators still get their cut in exchange for official products. So, where's the moral dilemma?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
I actually own the bluray import that has the artbook and stuff; it was my graduation gift at the time. It was free for me, but even if I had bought it at least it comes with ridiculous loads of extras for the price, unlike this barebones release for the price of the bones in your arm and leg.

I am a somewhat big fan of Gurren Lagann and thought about buying the deluxe JP BD set, but, other than the actual program, the extras were not translated.

Call me crazy, but I rather pay $250 for these more bare-bones BD releases from Aniplex USA rather than $500+ for a set with untranslated extras, which I would not enjoy to its fullest.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't have to boycott Aniplex, since I can't actually afford to buy their products even if I wanted to. But if I could, I still wouldn't. I can go buy an entire TV series from Funimation for half the price. I think I would rather afford to eat for a month or two than chew on an Aniplex post card.

I know nothing I personally say is going to change their prices. Obviously there are enough suckers to buy their obscene pricey releases and there probably always will be. They're succeeding, and that's all that matters to them, and might be the only thing that should. But that doesn't make what they're doing right or their customers any less undesirable for supporting them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Felis wrote:
Thanks for nothing AoA. I'll be importing the UK standard edition blu-ray for about $65.

I do find it hilarious that you can import things and even with shipping it will be cheaper than AOA release. Something wrong there I think.

What's funnier is that you can import something like Fate/Zero AND buy an all-region blu-ray player to play it on, and it's still cheaper than the AoA release.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I love this series but I just can't afford those prices. To be honest I used to pay $25 - $35 a VHS for some series with 2-3 episodes or an OVA back in the day. So with inflation the pricing is not that far off.
mdo7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
I've asked. There's usually either no answer or an answer you wouldn't at all be satisfied with for a variety of reasons.

Our reviews of their product just about always mention the prices (usually decrying how expensive they are). If we were as cozy with Aniplex as our conspiracy theorist suggests, that wouldn't be in there. I've talked at length on our podcast and in other public places about how crazy their prices are. I'd have been fired or at least scolded for saying these things - hasn't happened. My communication with the company is limited - entirely - to interview requests for convention guests that they're hosting here in the States. Otherwise we don't talk. I do receive review copies of some of their products, same as Funimation, Sentai Filmworks, Rightstuf and Viz which is standard operating procedure for any editorial department at an entertainment journalism organization. Receiving review materials does not compromise the review process nor does it influence our scores.

Well thanks for telling us that Zac. At least I now know more about Aniplex.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phifedawg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
The fact that they're releasing single discs for a 2007 series that has already been released actually pisses me off more than the price. If you're gonna charge $250 at least give us the whole thing.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:
The thing about train wrecks is that they are really impressive and they take a while to finally stop.

And they're hard to look away from.

Personally, I don't mind the Aniplex price point for brand new series, as it has reached me in Australia through Hanabee's Monogatari series releases. Though, it's probably more down to my enjoyment of the Monogatari series that I'm more willing to pay that much more for it...

Now, for an older series, I would say that the price is much too high. I don't mind with newer stuff because you're 'getting it faster'. But, something that is being released years after the fact, wouldn't think it'd reach $250.

And, while some have a thing against DVD, I watch most of my anime on my laptop. So, I'm fine with paying $60 for the DVD collection of this series.

That UK BD release price is very good. Maybe, if I ever get around to watching alot of my anime on TV or laptops start getting BD drives as standard...I'll get around to buying more BDs. Laughing
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
These threads are so predictable you can basically set your watch to them.

Leland Lee wrote:
The number of people complaining about this hilariously outnumbers the ones who don't. Which means that, CRAZY AS IT SOUNDS, there's something not right with Aniplex's strategy.

No matter how unusual your business model may be, if you are making a profit - and yes, AoA is indeed making a profit - then your strategy is sound.

Do AoA piss off a lot of people? Yes, they do. Does that matter to their bottom line? No, it doesn't. Because there are still people who are willing - even happy - to pay their prices. We're talking about customers who want premium products at fast speeds, and are prepared to pay top dollar to get this.

AoA have been selling their wares at high prices for years. This isn't anything new. So if people were going to stop buying those releases they'd have all done so long before now. But the company is still going strong so their business model must have worked out for them.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Its a love hate relationship it would be nice to get some of there titles but I dont have that kind of green
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9