• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Today I finished watching Aria the Scarlet Ammo. The show was alright. I enjoyed seeing Kinji having to contend with Aria's slightly short temper and her tendency to want to complete a task all by her lonesome. However, the one thing that really got me excited was Aria and Kinji's battle with the vampire, in which they used teamwork to expose his Achilles' Heel to overpower him.
Overall, I found this show to be a fun watch. The only problem that I think might have hampered its potential a bit was that the English seiyuu have repeatedly mispronounced Lupin...again (several times in this case). Other than that, I thought it was a good show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:50 am Reply with quote
I recently just finished off the dubbed Good Luck Girl! (Binbougami Ga!) with my younger brother, I had of course seen it subbed but it had been a while since I was watching it weekly. I remember it as funny, and yeah it is funny, and there is extra points that the main character really starts off not too nice. But one thing I always remember of the series, it is that the OP and ED are both fantastic, one of the shows with having two incredibly catchy and nice songs.

I had to explain some references, chief among them being many Dragonball Z and a particularly funny Death Note scene, but I think he got the point of it being a parody. My brother totally lost it in laughing during the cooking episode. Although I don't know how much jokes about breasts were any good, still funny just to watch the bickering, and the bickering is the heart. The love hate relationship between Ichiko and Momiji is what keeps the show together, pretty much complete opposites and their is always a surprise. Of course the extra cast of Ranmaru, Bobby, and Momo, are endearing too.

I should have put the focus of this on voice work, and there is something here for English viewers to watch dubbed, and that would be Momiji. Colleen Clinkenbeard put on a variety of different accents as Momiji, and although some might sound a bit of odd fits, they do feel fitting for an English speaking audience. Momo made us laugh since my brother and I mostly recognised Todd Haberkorn's work as Natsu from Fairy Tail, and I don't think the voice contrasts too much with the Japanese one. And lastly Bobby gets helped by the adaption by having a more genuine sounding voice.

I really did enjoy rewatching this, there are many scenes I really like about this series so I would watch again, and I think the dub sounded pretty good. Why has there been no announcements of a sequel yet?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I really did enjoy rewatching this, there are many scenes I really like about this series so I would watch again, and I think the dub sounded pretty good. Why has there been no announcements of a sequel yet?

I can never tell if questions like this are honest or not but the manga itself ended a while ago and the inclusion and use of spoiler[second friend] Nadeshiko in such a back handed manner was a tell the producers were intent on a single season.

Considering the direction the manga took, it wasn't necessarily a wrong decision.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I just finished my third viewing of The Secret of Blue Water since it's been a few years since I last saw it.

While they certainly are the weakest point of the series, I don't think the island/Africa arc is as horrible as some make it to be. Granted, they do stray from the overall plot and at times ignore the continuity.

The second half of episode 30 and all of 31 are the only parts of the island episodes that are important to the plot and should not ge skipped.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:42 am Reply with quote
As part of my Backlog Extinction Program I just watched a 2012 movie called Library War - Wings of Revolution. As the name suggests, it's the sequel to the Library War series that ran on noitaminA back in 2008. The movie is a big step up from the series; it's more focused, more lucid, has bigger stakes, plus it offers a fulfilling amount of closure to the story and for the characters. If you at least tolerated the series then you owe it to yourself to watch Wings of Revolution. It's one of the better Anime: The Movie type films in the past few years.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:00 am Reply with quote
I've been meaning to watch that film for a while. I watched the TV series a while back and enjoyed it, and I really like the manga too. That's bumped it a little higher up the priority list.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:13 am Reply with quote
^
The movie is very similar in tone and style to the series, but just a bit better written and executed. Therefore, if you liked the series and the manga then you will definitely enjoy the movie.

On another note, I've always wondered why both the Library War series and the Wings of Revolution movie have not yet been licensed. Would have thought FUNimation or the like would have picked them up already.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
After about a month of dropping off of watching any older title due to burnout, I decided to attempt resuming an older title in the form of Mizuiro Jidai, a 1990s unlicensed anime that appears to be a shoujo slice-of-life title. The series appears focused on the everyday developments of a trio of middle school friends who appear to be in a sort of love triangle. The mood for it is quite subdued and its content's been light thus far of the two episodes I've seen thus far. It's a bit early to say if this is something I'll like since this doesn't really fall under any cliched-ridden storyline I've seen out of past shoujo titles. But the OP and ED musical choices are quite pleasant to listen to and give me vibes of nostalgia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 1:27 am Reply with quote
^
I had to drop Mizuiro Jidai after two episodes because the music was so repetitive that it drove me crazy. For several days afterwards all I could hear was that bloody tune. Ugh. Other than that the show is a serviceable (but not spectacular) early-90s shoujo.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:40 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
^
I had to drop Mizuiro Jidai after two episodes because the music was so repetitive that it drove me crazy. For several days afterwards all I could hear was that bloody tune. Ugh. Other than that the show is a serviceable (but not spectacular) early-90s shoujo.

I'm guessing the repetitive part comes from variants of the anime's opening music? Laughing

I haven't let repetitive music deter my enjoyment of a title too much. And at this point considering all that I've seen for anime, I'm not really looking for anything that's a masterpiece to watch as long as I can enjoy it. Thus far, this seems more bearable than the majority of recent titles I've had to drop or suffer through.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
Azumanga Daioh: I watched THREE episodes this time! Yay! Anyhoo, they were all really cute and fuzzy and ADORABLE DAW.

I assume you've already seen Strawberry Marshmallow?
Place to Place is another ubercute school comedy you might like.

Watched the 1st episode of Clannad first season as beginning of a rewatch. It's by no means bad, but it left me with a drained feeling, like "Ah, am I really going to watch the whole thing again?"

This was meant to fill time till my new shipments arrive, but I think I might go back to rewatching Eureka again [US live series, not anime]. Hurry up mails!!!
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
^ I've heard about Strawberry Marshmallow, but I've never read the original manga or seen the anime.

It's weird that I love Azumanga Daioh as much as I do. Normally, I don't like slice-of-life anime. I was bored by the first episode of Lucky Star, (though I have read some of the the original 4koma strips, and they're good.) and I didn't enjoy Wolf Children like I thought I should. Maybe it's because this show is just so genuine and sweet that's got me. I can easily say it's one of my favorites. Very Happy
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:36 am Reply with quote
I'm currently watching Azumanga Daioh myself. Even though this is my second viewing of the show, I've been finding myself laughing quite often.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
I'm currently watching Azumanga Daioh myself. Even though this is my second viewing of the show, I've been finding myself laughing quite often.

I just stopped at the Yomi episode (the one with Hokkaido), and I couldn't agree more! Oddly enough, I can't think of anything more hilarious in that episode than Tomo throwing a huge temper tantrum over not getting the vending machine milk tea she payed for. I just kind of died right there. Also, this is my first time watching the show! I lurv it! Very Happy

I'm actually not going to post what I'm watching for a while, since I haven't watched enough to say I've made progress. I've only seen one more episode each of Cowboy Bebop and Michiko and Hatchin, and the first two episodes of Attack on Titan. So, yeah, I have a lot to catch up on. Based on my progress, I'm going to have to say the next show I'm going to view is a re-watch of Princess Tutu after Azumanga Daioh.
lefthandpath

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:48 am Reply with quote
I started watching Excel Saga last night and initially I was utterly repelled by it. I found Excel's hysterical, high-pitched dialogue to be grating and was planning to return the disc without exploring the series any further. However, as the night went on I could not stop thinking about the show and had to admit to myself that it did deliver quite a few genuine laughs, so this morning I decided to give it another chance and watch the second episode, which was then immediately followed by the third. Now that I have adjusted to its tone somewhat I am slowly getting hooked and plan to watch the series in its entirety.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 810 of 1062