• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Adds Bakuman Anime with English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamanashi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:
So can we assume that Zetsubou Sensei just going to rot on the vine?

Yep. They haven't said a word about it and it's now it's more than a year past the one release date that they had given it.

I think they said it was coming out this November but that also means it gives them 4 more months to delay it to next year.
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
TokyoGetter wrote:
So can we assume that Zetsubou Sensei just going to rot on the vine?

Yep. They haven't said a word about it and it's now it's more than a year past the one release date that they had given it.

I have no idea why they have sat on that property for so long. If it's cause of Japan, then they should just say so. If it's because they don't think Americans will buy something that has intelligent, social commentary/satire mixed with dark humor then they should just say so. The bottom line is that they should say something about it, and they have failed to do so. They're getting to be as poor as Viz in regard to their interaction with their fanbase.

Bakuman ain't my thing, but I know it has a lot of fans, or at least the manga does. Hope the anime does well for MB.

TRSI still has the first volume of SZS up for pre-order... http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/xaB6yuVmEPfOS3Zt3y/browse/item/86831/4/0/0

They originally had it slated for December 2011, but it now says "to be determined". So at least if they are taking pre-orders, I assume it will come out.

I for one think this is great news. I thought the Bakuman anime was great. Yes, it fails in comparison to the manga, but it is still a good anime series.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
So uh... is pacing really the only reason for this difference of opinion?

I saw enough of the show to know that I liked the main girl, and her Mom!

Also, this isn't exactly the type of show that I need on BD, so I'd have no problem being an early adopter.

It's not just the pacing. For the first couple of volumes, the manga focused on the relationships and had unfortunate sexist understones. However, the manga got out of that phase really quickly and drastically improved by the time the characters got their own manga.

The Anime, on the other hand, made the terrible, awful, excruciating choice of stretching the worst part of the manga into an entire season. So instead of being an intelligent, informative, and suspenseful series like the manga, Bakuman the Anime was a romance drama with the speed of molasses.
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:12 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Sigh this anime was very disappointing even with dubs its not even worth getting but if it hits on TV some where maybe I will watch it

I doubt it will show up on TV anywhere. Adult Swim will have their hands full with Durarara!! for a while, and G4 probably isn't interested in anime without strong Marvel american tie-ins. Despite being back by the manga-writing wizardry that is Ohba/Obata, this will be direct to DVD/Hulu just like most of Media Blasters' other stuff.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
The Anime, on the other hand, made the terrible, awful, excruciating choice of stretching the worst part of the manga into an entire season. So instead of being an intelligent, informative, and suspenseful series like the manga, Bakuman the Anime was a romance drama with the speed of molasses.

Well... isn't that what the second season is for? S1 may have been made as such with S2 in mind.

Also, kudos to MB for getting the second season as well.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
The first two episodes were enough to turn me away. The spoiler[sudden proposal] at the end of episode 1 took me a lot by surprise, but I would be fine with it if not for one thing. The very next episode, after spoiler[the girl said 'yes' (with certain conditions), the guy is afraid to ask for her e-mail address.] That's when I turned it off. That was just ridiculously stupid. Either their relationship is beyond that point or the girl should have said "No" in the first episode. There's no way that I'm going to sit through another shy/noncommittal/hesitant "romance" drab after what happened at the end of the first episode.
Sewingrose

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
The first two episodes were enough to turn me away. The spoiler[sudden proposal] at the end of episode 1 took me a lot by surprise, but I would be fine with it if not for one thing. The very next episode, after spoiler[the girl said 'yes' (with certain conditions), the guy is afraid to ask for her e-mail address.] That's when I turned it off. That was just ridiculously stupid. Either their relationship is beyond that point or the girl should have said "No" in the first episode. There's no way that I'm going to sit through another shy/noncommittal/hesitant "romance" drab after what happened at the end of the first episode.

That's really not much of a spoiler, it happens in the first chapter of the manga, and it's sorta part of the basis of the series.
I have more then enough problems with Bakuman, the sexism being a big one, but the romance between those two is annoying to me for different reasons then you find.

The idea is, they have no relationship up to this point. They are just two teenagers who love the other, and have no idea it's returned till just then. But they also have dreams and want to accomplish them, and want to put off the relationship until they do so. And they don't want to meet face to face till that happens, so they just text or e-mail.
Basically: They are both idealistic idiots. This is noted by the characters themselves in the manga. I don't have a problem with that, because it's seen and noted to be this probably impossible ideal they are trying to construct, it's not a normal relationship in the slightest.

My problems have more to do with her being held up as an object for him to win.
danielericiverson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote
In November? That seems fast for me! If a DVD boxset of 7 episodes hits certain stores on Nov 28, that would make it barely five months after agreeing to license it at all! Is that a good thing or bad thing when voice acting gets done that fast?

Then again, it doesn't seem right lying back on a couch and watching a DVD of a show about people who ultimately plan to spend much of their lives hunching over desks and working harder than the average office worker. I have the first two volumes, and having to keep the book open helps me feel some of their physical effort and tiredness.

Also, I wonder if they will sound like I had imagined they would sound in the local English lines in the manga. They should use some of the lines in the Viz Media manga.

Five months from licensing to having a boxed product in stores, even if the initial print run is small in North America?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4