• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation Streams Sound! Euphonism Anime's Promo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:39 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I know what otaku is, and that there are many types of otaku, but obviously I'M talking about the usual anime otaku.
And no, they don't hate cute girls, but KyoAni certainly doesn't target them, and the show won't be about the girls' cuteness, and they are not even that cute at all.
Just look at how Amagi made sure to keep sexualization on a generally acceptable level, and kept Latifa out of it, for example.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote
Otaku enjoyed Amaburi, and the first season of Chuu2koi, and of course their huge sellers like Haruhi, K-ON, and Lucky Star along with their Key/Visual Arts game adaptations.

If you mean that they don't pander to lolicon then that is pretty much true.
Kreion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
Anyway, it's KyoAni, they won't ever make otaku targeted show (just watch how they handled Amagi), so rest assured.
This will be soapy, romantic awkward series for mature people like yourselves.

You're joking, right? You do know that, in the real world, there's generally a mix of males and females - groups of friends are rarely ever all one gender. Granted in high school it's much more likely for friends to all be one gender...hence why it's so easy to make series like this boring.

The amount of creepy characters in AmaBuri was off the scale

The thing is romance isn't even the big issue - it's just boring to watch series with such a narrow scope - i.e targeting people who want moeblob - since they rarely have much depth to any of the characters. They exist to be cute, propped up by some tragic backstory.

@King 47
That's precisely why I have a love/hate relationship with Kyoani. They can produce lovely art - of cute girls doing fudge all. So thanks but I'm going to keep hating on a company that wastes its talents in sordid pits like Tamako Market. The thing is most studios go up/downup/down in the quality of their work - they move between interesting and non-interesting series. KyoAni haven't made anything stand-out SINCE Hyouka. The Tamako market moive was everything the series should have been and Beyond the boundary was about 40% good, 60% garbage.

I am willing to wait and watch an episode or two of the series before I truly judge it...but since PV's are supposed to give you a taste of the series...yeah.

At least Amagi was okay, despite terrible side characters and a fair chunk of waste potential.

Last edited by Kreion on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
It's more of a genre thing. There are people out there who really like moe series of cute girls doing cute things. Heck I have a friend who that's about all he watches. KyoAni knows they are good at those series, and better yet it makes them money. Looking at K-ON, and Haruhi, etc. They have made other shows. Pure comedy ones like Nichijou (which bombed hard) and mysteries like Hyouka. So when they decide to step out of their boundaries and make something different like Free, people lambast them for appealing to the female market.

It's like Sunrise making a mecha series. They make other stuff but their primary way to make money is through mecha series. There's also the possibility that the staff at KyoAni really enjoys making moe, slice of life stories as well. It's a matter of genre.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
Yeah, I know what otaku is, and that there are many types of otaku, but obviously I'M talking about the usual anime otaku.
And no, they don't hate cute girls, but KyoAni certainly doesn't target them, and the show won't be about the girls' cuteness, and they are not even that cute at all.
Just look at how Amagi made sure to keep sexualization on a generally acceptable level, and kept Latifa out of it, for example.

So who was the audience for Haruhi?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:34 am Reply with quote
Why are you people talking about their past works?
I've said they aren't targetting otaku again, and that stands true for the last few years.
AmaBri was more shounen than seinen for example, Tamako is whole family, they made Chuu2 Ren into syrupy and certainly not otaku orientated.
(just to clarify, otaku in this sense means the more hardcore, and sadly obsessed people, not just "anime fans")
And yes, that includes for example the bigger part of lolicons, that's why I brought up Latifa compared to other, more endowed girls.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
OK, I misspoke then.

So you don't think Euphonium is for the "average" otaku? Sure, the average otaku doesn't like jazz, but the cute girls? That's meant to appeal to male and female viewers. By "average otaku" do you mean the people who love harems and ecchi?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
Practically every single light novel series that is published in Japan is shounen. I have no idea why you would have expected anything else for Amaburi to be.

I really don't know why you are taking a 'hardcore' niche of an already niche audience and only referring to them as otaku, but I can only imagine you are somewhat misled by what certain terms mean.
Bean Bluester

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
In all this discussion of KyoAni and their past works, I'm kinda surprised Free! Iwatobi Swim Club hasn't been brought up yet... It's pretty similar in premise to their other series, only it's cute guys in some club doing cute things. It's also a different target demographic than a lot of their series; the fujioshi-bait is strong with this series. I happen to love this series because the water animation is gorgeous, the characters are loveable (and most definitely not blobs), and there are both touching and hilarious moments.

I am, however, somewhat intrigued by this new series and think I will give it a try. At least the art is really pretty...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
From webster.com, a euphonium is "a brass instrument smaller than but resembling a tuba and having a range from B flat below the bass staff upward for three octaves". According to its Wiki article, the name comes from Greek words for "of good sound".
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

I really don't know why you are taking a 'hardcore' niche of an already niche audience and only referring to them as otaku, but I can only imagine you are somewhat misled by what certain terms mean.

Um, otaku are obsessionists. Be it military, doll, anime etc.
That is not something to be proud of, or not something that an average anime fan is. I think you are the one being misled by the international use of "otaku".
And no, Euphonium is not for the "average" otaku. It doesn't cater to them in any aspects, at least if it's gonna be played out like any of their recent works. The romantic aspect of the show just further increases the probability. It's for casual anime fans for sure.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
this will be soapy, romantic, awkward series for mature people like yourselves.

Sunny milk wrote:

What exactly do you mean by the "usual anime otaku". As defined by dictionary.com, an otaku is "an avid collector or enthusiast, esp. one who is obsessed anime, video games, or computer and rarely leaves home". Just because a show doesn't "have cute girls" (btw, complete bullsht) doesn't mean it is not for otaku. If it is meant for people interested in anime, AKA otaku, to watch, then it is an otaku targeted show. The girls in Amagi were mature, but that did not mean they did not have a level of cuteness. Just what exactly is the "generally acceptable level" for sexualization? Are you implying that the only way an anime girl will seem cute is if she has huge breasts and a big butt? I don't know what you consider as cute, but these girls in Sound! Euphonism are to me very cute.

Quote:
Um, otaku are obsessionists. Be it military, doll, anime etc.
That is not something to be proud of, or not something that an average anime fan is. I think you are the one being misled by the international use of "otaku".
And no, Euphonium is not for the "average" otaku. It doesn't cater to them in any aspects, at least if it's gonna be played out like any of their recent works. The romantic aspect of the show just further increases the probability. It's for casual anime fans for sure.

My friend, I think it is you who is confused about the definition of otaku. As long as someone has a lasting interest in anime, it is correct to call them an otaku. Also, I disagree with how you think of otaku. There is no reason for someone to feel ashamed of being an otaku and it is perfectly fine to be proud of it. I'm not saying everyone should walk around with a poster board saying,"I'm an otaku!", but there is no reason to be ashamed of it. Here you bring up again the "casual anime fan" and the "average otaku". It is not for you to say what an otaku is and what they are interested in. I consider myself an average otaku, and I am very interested in this show. I find it quite offensive that you believe the general otaku fan base is comprised of people interested in only one genre (which I am assuming you mean ecchi and harem). Euphonium can cater to the taste of some otaku, of course, not all.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for going so much in length about how you use the western definition of the word.
Go to japan, tell people you are an otaku, and see the disgusted looks in their eyes. It is by no means as mild as "a person who enjoys watching anime".
Not that I mind. The fact remains, all recent series from them are targeted to shounen, or more casual watchers.

I also don't mean "ecchi and harem". Some of them fall in the catergory, but some doesn't. For example many SOL series are indeed made with otaku in mind. It's just that KyoAni doesn't mean any shows for them. Not any longer.
And obviously this one is being made for "more refined and mature" people, and lovers of romance as well probably.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Yay some much needed love for wind instruments! I will have to watch the show for that alone. xD
Swissman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
So after having been inspired by the movie Linda Linda Linda for the famous concert scene in Haruhi, director Tatsuya Ishihara directs an anime which the original manga may have been inspired by Swing Girls.
I'm curious how this series will turn out and I don't care if it mostly focuses on cute girls doing cute things or will have more of an overarching plot. My only hope is, it does these things well. The promo announces in big letters "music" and "youth". Let's see what KyoAni will do with this premise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5