• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Midwinter Blahs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

Directory Matsuo Kou used the voices-first method on both Red Garden and Kurenai. In some scenes, like the one in Kurenai episode three at Shinkarou's school, there are some spirited multi-way conversations where the actors talk over and interrupt each other. It made for a much more natural flow to the dialogue since real humans often don't wait for the other person to finish before speaking!

At the cost of subbing three liners at times. Laughing

Kind of a shame about Crystal's reception. While not the biggest fan of the franchise, I would think this would fare better hearing that Crystal follows the source better than the original anime. Don't quote me on this since I never really followed the older series. Perhaps this is one of those moments when something is better off staying as a well loved relic of the past.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
heroictype wrote:

Edit: Totally unrelated, but I forgot to ask before; who's the lady in black serving as this article's image? That's a neat design.

The design is from Belladona of Sadness. That's Jean, the main character. The movie is full of cool images like that, so I'm very happy it's getting a release!

As for the whole Kickstarter thing, it seems like the most common argument against crowdsourcing boils down to "This isn't the RIGHT way to do this." The thing is, unless you're breaking the law, there is no "right" or "wrong" way to release a product (there's successful and unsuccessful, but that's a different concept.) So when people say crowdsourcing isn't the proper way to release something, they're really saying "this is not what I'm used to."

But when you get down to it, crowdsourcing is just someone asking customers for money in exchange for a product: which is pretty much how this has always worked. The process is different, but the concept doesn't really change.

Last edited by Wyvern on Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Regarding James question you also have to remember that Japan might even have more animation by this point then the USA and Europe combined this is because many anime come out every week where with cartoons it's just seasons with many re-runs.
You can't make 48 episodes of just One Piece in a a year with the Western syle while also making 15 other shows.

Also Osamu Tezuka is the pioneer of what came to be known as real Anime, doing things the cheap way while making much more.
Those old Toei movies aren't like that at all they took a real long time to make and they spend lot's of money on it.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

Directory Matsuo Kou used the voices-first method on both Red Garden and Kurenai. In some scenes, like the one in Kurenai episode three at Shinkarou's school, there are some spirited multi-way conversations where the actors talk over and interrupt each other. It made for a much more natural flow to the dialogue since real humans often don't wait for the other person to finish before speaking!

At the cost of subbing three liners at times. Laughing

Kind of a shame about Crystal's reception. While not the biggest fan of the franchise, I would think this would fare better hearing that Crystal follows the source better than the original anime.

There's a number of posts in the episode-by-episode review thread to the effect that the '90s anime's divergences from the source material is what made it great.
Maize Hughes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

At the cost of subbing three liners at times..

Geez, would we even have an English-language anime fandom if subs were that dense? Maybe voice-second made anime accessible enough to become popular.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

There's a number of posts in the episode-by-episode review thread to the effect that the '90s anime's divergences from the source material is what made it great.

For my money, it wasn't just the divergence, it's that the old anime understood what made the original manga great, and kept those core themes intact even while it changed the storyline around.

Crystal doesn't get that. It tries to approach Sailor Moon like a shonen battle anime, and the emotional core gets lost along the way.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
I remember that back during the mid-to-early-late-Aughts (2006-2007), Funimation created the Viridian Line, which was billed as an anime "Criterion Collection". The idea was that Funimation would release "significant" anime in these cool sets.

I saw "Criterion" in the article description and first thought "No, please, not again! It's not 1999, Disney's actually doing Ghibli movies again! Can we bury this primal myth passed down through our fan DNA??"

But then I saw it wasn't "Will Criterion ever do Kiki/Nausicaa?" Rolling Eyes , it was "Will there ever be a Criterion label for anime, that does studio-mastered quality releases of older essential classics that have disappeared for years?"
And my first thought was "What, yyy'mean, besides Discotek?"
addiemon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
but they keep asking the fans to fund those Osamu Tezuka titles, and now they're asking for money to reprint one of their more popular yaoi titles.

...So, you wanna blame anyone for them having to beg for money, blame these a-holes.

Wait, who are the a-holes? Anime Nation? Ask John? The commenters?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
addiemon wrote:
GATSU wrote:
...So, you wanna blame anyone for them having to beg for money, blame these a-holes.

Wait, who are the a-holes? Anime Nation? Ask John? The commenters?

No, presumably the Fangirls, via the AN column question "Did the 'girl' market create the 00's anime bust?"
Which answer, as Gatsu points out, is "no", even though Best Buy's "Princess in the title" comment often gets misinterpreted. (Especially by Best Buy.)

And which would also be a good question for Justin to tackle sometime, taking into the account the fact that clueless media analysts at the time also didn't seem to be aware of anime and focused all the pop-cultural attention on US girls'-manga sales at Barnes & Noble.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
While I don't watch Crystal, it seems like the hype wasn't what fans were expecting. It was delayed for over a year and fans will have only 26 episodes to look forward to.

I think it if Toei was to really hold up to the hype Crystal was getting, they could give it at least 50 episodes because then more of the manga could be covered.
Crisha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:52 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
but they keep asking the fans to fund those Osamu Tezuka titles, and now they're asking for money to reprint one of their more popular yaoi titles.

If the Tezuka stuff was popular enough to fund on a regular basis, I'm sure DMP would just invest in it themselves. But I'm sure they were one of the companies which took the biggest hit during that manga bubble correction of the mid-2000s, because they don't have that key hit manga series [I.E. Naruto] to keep their company afloat. So, you wanna blame anyone for them having to beg for money, blame these a-holes.

Ah, yes, thank you for attributing the downfall of the American anime market in the mid-2000s specifically to my gender (I'm quite certain you're the "GATS" in the comments section, so you're supporting the view of the person asking the question and not John)... and adding in that little a-hole jab. Pleasant. That it's the fault of the wish-washy female fans who made promises to purchase any and all anime/manga aimed at them, but then betrayed that trust by sticking to fandom-y things and flighting off to the next Hannah Montana whatever. While there may be some grains of truth within your crackpot theory, I'm more inclined to believe that it was due to many factors, several of them attributed to the distributors overpaying on the licenses and also the fact that singles were being replaced by complete sets so that they could stay on shelves in places like Best Buy, which was starting to downsize on their stock.

I know this doesn't amount to much since I'm only one voice and hardly representative of the entire female fandom, but I was consistently buying shit through the 2000s. Not nearly as much as I do now, my buying increased at least 5X in 2009 once I got a job (funny how that works), but I still bought anime, manga, and merchandise. I bought the VHS tapes for $30 per 4 episodes. I bought the DVD singles. I bought the manga when Viz was CoMix. And not only that, but I was also very deeply involved in the fandom. Still am. I'd say that about 97% of my time with anime/manga is spent in the fandom rather than the canon (the sheer number of fanfics I've read should make that pretty apparent), but I still dedicate my time and earnings in the things I love. It's not mutually exclusive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Violynne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
There was an anime collapse in 2008?

If memory serves, the collapse sure as hell wasn't caused by the female gender treating anime as a fad.

Blame the US mortgage industry, because that's what caused the "collapse", leading millions to curtail their spending.

Some people can say some truly stupid things.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
1thought: There's no way anyone would pay for Urusei Yatsura again like they did with Animeigo. [Which brought it on DVD here in the first place through a proto-Kickstarter method.] At least not with the inevitable insane higher licensing fees that the company on the Japanese end would want. Though I've been hoping that Anime Sols would at least try it, anyway. As for GinTama, the problem is that it's one of those series that most 'fans' requested, but, in actuality, weren't willing to pay for legally. Oh, and the only way to get LOGH here legally, for now, is through Hulu. No fanbase big enough to afford it, otherwise.

Quote:
DMP is frustrating in that Barbara got nearly 3 times the funding and Swallowing the Earth got twice the funding for a reprint yet the books were at retailers for a minute and then gone out of print.

They printed just enough books to meet demand. As it is, they're just glad they made money back on it.

Eric:
Quote:
And which would also be a good question for Justin to tackle sometime,

He won't tackle it, because having worked on the retail side of things, he'd agree with that article just a little bit, and he'd get a lot of flame mail for it. Cool

willag:

Quote:
I'm more inclined to believe that it was due to many factors, several of them attributed to the distributors overpaying on the licenses

They wouldn't be overpaying, if the market wasn't overinflated by a certain demo.

Quote:
and also the fact that singles were being replaced by complete sets so that they could stay on shelves in places like Best Buy, which was starting to downsize on their stock.

The only reason singles were being replaced by boxsets was to recoup losses on shows which no one was buying any longer, period.

Quote:
I know this doesn't amount to much since I'm only one voice and hardly representative of the entire female fandom, but I was consistently buying shit through the 2000s.

Exactly. You don't represent that fandom. Good for you.

Violynne:

Quote:
Blame the US mortgage industry, because that's what caused the "collapse", leading millions to curtail their spending.

Same bullshit, different age and venue. Women making it look like there was a big market for houses, and then leaving everyone else who needed an actual place to live to hold the bag. [And the declining property values.]
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
heroictype wrote:

Edit: Totally unrelated, but I forgot to ask before; who's the lady in black serving as this article's image? That's a neat design.

The design is from Belladona of Sadness. That's Jean, the main character. The movie is full of cool images like that, so I'm very happy it's getting a release!

So am I, but didn't realise it until this column. I had no idea about this title until now. I love the Erté homage.

RE. Criterion-type anime - How about Cinedigm's Mononoke ? It is bare bones and DVD only, but I'm grateful that is is available at all, and that I'm not paying Criterion prices as well.

I suspect anyone who accuses females for the anime bubble-pop, is just here to troll. Consider the source.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:

Same bullshit, different age and venue. Women making it look like there was a big market for houses, and then leaving everyone else who needed an actual place to live to hold the bag. [And the declining property values.]

So women were responsible for the GFC?

Calm down, GATSU. You're losing it. Please step back a little. May I suggest a cup of tea and a breather.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7