• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Discuss Which Anime Both Positively & Negatively Affected Their Lives

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Set1229

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I doubt many will believe me, but Lost Universe helped me overcome personal fear and make letting go of a death in my family easier. It also taught me ways of looking at things from Buddhism that I would later spin into my own ideas.

Saber Marionette J's Lime showed me that it's not always a bad thing to have an innocent and playful personality, since I am usually very serious.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Well, one of the most positive influences manga/anime had around the world was making professional football players take that path.

Thanks to Captain Tsubasa.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I saw Eden of the East at the right time. I was feeling pretty down about the fact I graduated college and had to move in with my parents while looking for work because as luck would have it, the economy took a nosedive. Being shown that being a NEET isn't so if bad if you're making an effort really helped.

Fairy Tail also helped me out. My brother was in a coma from a disease that the doctors weren't sure how to handle, and I had to take the bar exam, so I just needed something that was relentlessly optimistic.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
It may just be a little thing, but whenever I know I need to exercise and don't want to, I just pop in a disk of Kaliedo Star. Watching Sora train so hard always inspires me to try and improve.

I think Uta no Prince-Sama had the most negative effect on me xD I'm pretty certain it was the first anime based on an otome I watched. Now I've watched and bought every otome-based anime I can get my hands on, and even worse, play WAY too many otome on my phone (and 1 on my 3DS) that sucks up all of my time and money. Just last Sunday I was trying to rank in a game and stayed up until 4am playing so I'd succeed and get a message from my prince, even knowing I had to be up for work at 6. That Monday was hell...and I'd do it again in a heartbeat xD
SailorMoonlight

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Whenever I felt down, I've always thought of Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne's motto in the anime, something like "Strong, ready, invincible, beautiful, strong-willed, bravend". It was a charm for me.

On the practical level, I basically learned German from watching animes in German and I translated some manga from English to my first language.

Since I spent too much time watching and reading anime & manga, my social life wasn't the best, then again, thanks to anime I actually met some people who shared the same love for these things.
Mangas are really encouraging and give a wider perspective on the world.
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Now this is a topic, which I think deserves more discussion!

Unlike those people in the article, I wouldn't put "blame" on a particular series for me becoming an otaku. I have a feeling that I never had the choice in the matter; my mind was that of an otaku before I saw any anime.

When talking about anime which have had real impact on people's lives I first think of Evangelion because there is more than one story of how the series has saved people from suicide.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I got bad grades on a report card once after marathoning K-On instead of studying before the half-yearly tests.

I still despise that show for what it did to me...
lazydude500

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I noticed a lot of youtube users often comment on how Hajime no Ippo inspired them to take up boxing = Positive

Also see a lot of (most likely) introverted and shy people complain about NTR hentai. Probably gives them trust issues with relationships IRL = Negative Laughing
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop inspired me to learn the harmonica, and Trigun inspired me to experiment with a slide when I play guitar. One of my most prolific periods of songwriting came after watching BECK. I'm sure a lot of people were inspired to play music watching BECK.

Conversely, I think the longer I watched and became invested (maybe even dependent) on anime, the more disconnected I became from the people around me and my formerly normative lifestyle. I'm not going to go so far as to "blame anime" for my fall from grace, but the two certainly seemed to coincide, lol. I think it's not really the cause for becoming a fringe member of society, more that fringe members of society are drawn to anime, and allowing yourself to indulge in something that is so far removed from the mainstream consciousness is inevitably going to distance you.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
I have clinical depression. I was bullied and was treated poorly for being over weight. However the finally of Neon Genesis Eva really touched me. Even after all Shinji went through he could overcome it all. When they congratulate shinji made me realize that I was important to someone out there. Even though I don't love myself someone does. It helped me get through some really tough times.
Hakajin

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
For me, the good point and the bad point is kind of the same thing. You see, I have a terminal case of obsessive shipping. I tend to get fixated on one set of characters for years and years, and... My longest running one was Pokeshipping (Ash/Misty from Pokemon). Yeah, that's kind of embarrassing, but... Well, it always made me really happy, but then... Then I got fixated on the fact that the characters aren't real, and then it makes me as happy as it does sad. It does a lot for characterization when it comes to writing, and it helps me understand other people's point of view (since I inhabit my characters). It also helped me through times when I really didn't have any friends (although I had plenty of friends when this started, so I don't think that's where it comes from). I used to get depressed because I never felt that way about anyone in real life, although now I have someone I like...

The one work I'd reference to help people understand what it feels like is "Millennium Actress." Chiyoko spends her whole life chasing after that one guy who lives in her memory. She both loves and hates that obsession, and it's her artistic motivation. I mean, I get that it's sort of a metaphor for artistic ambition, the drive toward perfection, but... Every time I watch that movie, it feels like, wow, I know how that feels too well. And I kind of have to wonder... do the people who wrote the movie feel that way, too? I have a feeling that obsessing over characters and then getting depressed that they aren't real is a problem a lot of writers deal with.
Set1229

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd also like to say for Cardcaptor Sakura fans spoiler[The Nothing] made me realize I was not the one that lost sanity from forced isolation and want to help people that have been isolated for too long.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Set1229 wrote:
I doubt many will believe me, but Lost Universe helped me overcome personal fear and make letting go of a death in my family easier.
I can relate to the latter, I wouldn't say it was a very conscious decision but watching series that deal with the lost of friends or family members and how the characters come to terms with it certainly has helped me get through some of those times.
jppcouto

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

Fairy Tail also helped me out. My brother was in a coma from a disease that the doctors weren't sure how to handle, and I had to take the bar exam, so I just needed something that was relentlessly optimistic.

Dude, i can understand what are you saying and hope your brother is okay now, but Fairy Tail isn't positive neither negative, because the series only show that FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC AND IT WINS EVERYTIME and you can't feel that there is real problems in that show.

However, I'm glad that something give u strenght in that part of your life.
Via_01

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to go the generic way and say that Clannad helped me appreciate my family more. When I was watching it for the first time, I wasn't really a good son to my parents, or ever thought about being a good big brother to my siblings; I just went through life being the typical teenager that is embarassed at the thought of loving his family.

But then the emotional aspects of the show happened, and as manipulative as they may have been, they still made me say 'damn, I'm a really ungrateful bastard'. And now I get along with everyone at home just fine, so I'll always feel grateful towards Clannad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4