• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
School-Live! (TV)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
With all the discussions of the changes in the OP and the ED, I've decided to track all of them, episode-by-episode.

To start with, the list of scenes in the first episode. We'll use this as a base, and number each scene, for easy reference.
Opening wrote:
1) Shot of School Living Club door sign.
2) Shot of table with everyone's things (Notebook, journal, CD player, shovel)
3) Zoom in on journal, which opens
4) Cut-out girls running in corners over picture of school
5) Cut-out girls in front of school areas:
5a) Yuki in front of lockers
5b) Kurumi in front of stairs
5c) Yuri in front of Class 3-A
5d) Miki in front of classroom (empty)
5e) 4 girls and Taroumaru
6) Shadows of girls in front of scroll-down over the front of the school
7) Yuki running down hallway in front of cut-out students
8) Kurumi comes out of classroom, Yuki crashes into her
9) Yuri on the roof
10) Cut-out Yuki and Kurumi run past cut-out Yuri, chasing Taroumaru
11) Miki sitting in club room, reading a book
12) Yuki glomps Miki, others come into club room
13) Focus on club name on white board + caricature of Megu-nee
14) Girls gripping hands
15) Students and teacher in classroom
16) Kei in front of a sky
17) Taroumaru (no leash) in front of his bowl
18) Megu-nee under a sakura tree
19) Girls jump in the sky
20) Shadow girls running in front of photos
20a) Yuki sleeping with bear
20b) Yuri doing Kurumi's hair
20c) Miki drinking from mug
21) Girls on roof
22) Balloons carrying sign fly up
23) Shadow Yuki runs in front of areas of school (same shots as 5)
23a) Lockers
23b) Stairs
23c) Classroom (empty)
24) Yuki running through space to other girls
25) Yuki's journal and hat, and Miki's mug

Unless further changed, all changes remain in later episodes.

Here are the differences between episodes 1 and 2:
4) School is slightly more run down (can't see damage, but colors are more "run down")
5d) Classroom is full of desks
6) The shot of the school starts earlier, the school is now run down and damaged, and zombies are out front
7) The hallway is run down
15) Students are now zombies, and there are 2 daisies in a vase
17) Taroumaru now has a leash
23) The backgrounds behind Yuki are now the run-down versions, except for where Yuki's shadow is over them.
23c) The classroom has desks and is normal where Yuki's shadow is, but empty and broken outside of it.

There are no changes in the opening between episodes 2, 3, and 4

Episode 5:
16) Kei is now walking toward the zombies in the mall.
A slight note as well with Episode 5, the title card has changed from being a page in Yuki's journal, to being the journal sitting on a table, closed, next to Megu-nee's car keys.

There are no changes in the opening between 5 and 6.

Episode 7
6) It's now evening, whereas it was day before. There are also more zombies. In addition, where it used to be flowers and hearts to scrub to the next shot, it's now zombie hands grabbing.
13) Megu-nee's caricature is rubbed out.
18) The cross with the ribbon (also seen in the first episode) is shown
20) The photos are now all different. Also, the paper background and birds/balloons/etc are all dirty now.
20a) Yuri looking in a window (back of her head and reflection)
20b) Kurumi sitting in front of the desk barrier
20c) Miki sleeping listening to the CD player

Not sure if it's my computer or not, but 7, and one of the earlier episodes (4 or 5, I think) had a purplish hue to the space background in 24, rather than blue.
7's title card is also different, with being further zoomed out on the table, and more drawings, the balloons, a camera, some balls, and Taroumaru's collar being seen.

Episode 9
20b) Kurumi is now standing up, facing the barrier
I didn't pay attention to episode 8's title card, but Episode 9's is the chalk board with the title on it.

Ending wrote:

1) Back of Yuki's head in front of light off of water
2) All 4 girls sitting on bank above water
2a) Headshot of Yuki over the above
2b) Headshot of Kurumi
2c) Headshot of Yuri
2d) Headshot of Miki
3) Old film of Yuki with someone (Megu-nee?) coming up behind her
3a) Yuki's happy, then surprised face turning to the side
4) 3/4th view focusing on the girls sitting on the bank, looking at the sky
5) Girls walking along the bank, Taroumaru in front of them
5a) Girls walk past smashed red car
6) Yuki sleeping at the table, the bear on the table
7) Yuki wakes up to the other 3 (+Taroumaru) sitting across from her
8) Yuki smiles, and we zoom out from the window (crack in window)
9) "Sweet Dreams" is scribbled in bright colors against black (it reminds me of gel pens)

There are no notable changes in the ending between episodes 1, 2, and 3, although in either 2 or 3, the car in 5a is less shaded.

Episode 4 has a custom ending, featuring Kei and Miki, using scenes from the episode.

Episode 6 also has a custom ending, featuring still shots of Yuki and Megu-nee, with Megu-nee fading out. The scene from the opening (18) is expanded on as well, and then scenes from earlier episodes are shown, with Megu-nee fading out as well.

Episode 7 has a custom ending as well, but different from the previous ones.
Ending 7 wrote:
7-1) Title in the same manner as the "sweet dreams" scribble from the standard ending
7-2) The broken walls of the classroom a la the series poster, with a shot of Yuki sleeping on the floor next to Taroumaru (Kurumi's hand is visible)
7-3) Broken windows with Miki sleeping with the CD player (Yuki's hand is visible).
7-4) Busted classroom, with Kurumi sleeping against Yuri (Yuki's hand is visible).
7-5) Megu-nee against a white background
7-6) Full shot of all the girls from the pictures in 7-2 through 7-4
7-7) Close up of the girls on the bank, from standard ending shot 2, but done with a grainy film style, like the flashbacks in standard shot 3, or episode 3's bookends.
7-8) Back to the same shot as 7-6, but a wider angle
7-9) Same shot as standard ending shot 5, but grainy and such like in 7-7
7-10) Same as 7-6/7-8
7-11) Flash of white, then the girls are gone (you can still see Shovel-kun and Taroumaru's leash)
7-12) The torn teddie bear against the chalkboard, that says something, but I can't read it (the first part is "minna de", the second is kanji)
7-13) The scene fades, and the kanji from previous is shown in the gel-pen style

Episode 8 uses the same ending as 7.

Episode 9 returns us to the standard ending, with 2 major changes:
5) Taroumaru is walking alone, instead of with the girls
7) Kurumi and Taroumaru are missing from the group shot.

If I had the ability, I'd rip all the videos and make a comparison video, marking the episode that each scene changed, but I can't, so this is what I can do.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:

Now I feel bad for Kurumi. Not only did she discover the grim truth about Megumi but she had to deal with a zombie dog too? Ugh. And not to mention that, she got injured with a possible infection...

Looks like the series took a much darker path now.
Also, I think Yuki's delusion is breaking down again.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
By a the best episode of the series. Of course, I love the fact that Taroumaru was used so well! Given his role in the manga of spoiler[existing for a few panels as an already bit dog] this was great! He warmed his way into my heart and the opening made it pretty obvious that he wasn't getting through this alive. I knew Megu-nee would be the one to do it, yet... something about the execution got me here!

I think the last 3 episodes were slow because they had to pad out the story to a whole 12 episode season. This is forgivable if they keep up this level of quality from now on. More please! Awesome stuff!

RIP Taroumaru.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, 3 major changes in the opening:
17) Taroumaru's leash is now empty
18) The cross is replaced with Zombie!Megu-nee
25) Yuki's hat has blood on it now

And it's the alternate ending from episodes 7-8

I have a feeling that we might only get the standard ending if there's a change to it, at this point.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Taroumaru's turned, Kurumi bitten, Yuki coming to back to reality and zombies are invading the school. Literally everything has suddenly gone to sh**.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10:

I really like how the production team has chosen to adapt this part of the story. I think people who aren't familiar with the manga would be very surprised to learn just how much of this episode was anime-original material.

I was half expecting the episode to open up with the "I screwed up" scene, followed by the opening credits and then a "several hours earlier" transition. I'm so glad they chose to tell the story chronologically, because it contributes to the feeling that the whole series has been slowly and steadily building to this one moment.

Okay, this next part has serious manga spoilers:

Yuri: Considering how much screen/panel time Yuri gets, she's never really had that much going on... she's basically the "team mom" other characters go to when they need to talk through their problems. spoiler[It's interesting how this episode subtly reinforces how everyone defers to Yuri's judgment in any given situation. It was a nice way to drive that point home one last time before she goes off the rails and starts hallucinating imoutos.]

Yuki: I'm sure all the Yuki fans were excited when they saw the preview at the end of this episode. spoiler[I don't know about the rest of the fanbase, but I personally prefer Crisis Mode Yuki to her pleasantly-confused fugue state.]

spoiler[Fallen]: spoiler[Touko mentions that the Fallen were formed in response to the rule that "even if you were a little hurt, you were dangerous". Was the rule itself the last straw, or did something specifically happen to make Touko, Aki, and Hiki cut their ties with the other college students (i.e. one of their friends was infected, but wasn't as lucky as Kurumi)? If so, this might serve as an interesting parallel to the current anime storyline.]
Key

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Well, 3 major changes in the opening:
. . .
25) Yuki's hat has blood on it now

Oh, nice catch! I thought I had all of the changes pegged, but missed that one.

Quote:
And it's the alternate ending from episodes 7-8

There was a change in this, too. See my episode review (when it gets posted) for specifics, as well as an additional observation about that closer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Key - I've got the day off, so I'm gonna go through and screenshot all the changes to the OP and EDs, if you want to link to it when it's done.

[edit] Holy crap! It had bugged me in EP10 when they commented on Megu's hair being cut shorter, because I hadn't remembered it being longer. Now I'm screengrabbing EP3, and HOLY CRAP was it long!

[edit2]
Caught 2 more edits in the OP for 10: 1) It's even a darker sky on the title card, and 2) Taroumaru's shadow is by himself, rather than being chased, in the same scene.

I've got screenshots for the OP and the 1st/main/standard/whatever ending, just gotta grab screenshots for the 2nd (or 4th)/alternative/whatever ending, then I can start sorting them.

[edit3]
Okay, yup, caught the changes in the ED!

[edit4]
Found a decent free video editing software, and was able to make a video of the OP changes for episodes 1-10. I'll work on the endings later.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Hm... oddly enough, I felt nothing for Taroumaru's death. That might have less to do with his lack of character and more to do with the fact that watching JoJo desensitized me to dog murder.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Taroumaru ran off at the end of the previous episode because he heard another dog barking, so he might not be the zombiefied dog after all. Its face is obscured so they might be trying to fool us, but all zombies' faces have been obscured so its hard to tell.

In these situations it's always the one who tries to keep themselves together the most that snaps first. Yuri's been trying way too hard to be the mature and responsible one so it's inevitable she's going to break.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:07 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Found a decent free video editing software, and was able to make a video of the OP changes for episodes 1-10. I'll work on the endings later.

Good video on the major changes in the series. I did not even realise that the shadow of Yuki had her delusion versions inside it.

Episode 10

Episode could have been a surprise, but the series has been slowly building the tension that we could largely expect a lot of this. The favoured twists of this series hit you like an eerie crumble of a broken stereo, the signs have all been there that something is wrong and then it finally hits you. The twists of this episode's story have instead been building up for some time, the OP I felt was the biggest broken radio pointing at what was to happen. For some time one thing stood out in the opening which was that an image of Taromaru had been a suspiciously happy part of what else had been shown as bad images, finally in this episode the happy image was replaced with an image of his empty leash. And that is only one of a few changes that happened with him.

We got Miki's book, the increasing dread of the untouched bowl, and then the optimism with Kurumi that we all should have known what was about to be shown. These past episodes had been building up to it. Kurumi is out of commission, the changing between her battle mode and not used as a method of showing a weakness. Yuuri has been breaking down too, her almost breakdown earlier, with Kurumi hurt she looked like she really is not the best. Miki is trying to stand up, but even she is emotionally hurt over Taromaru. Yuki, she actually looks like she might be the one that could stand up, she was quick to act, she was not falling into a lot of her delusional talk, and at the end she is noticing the truth. Could it actually be Yuki who would be the most stable and be able to save them?
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:30 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

Good video. When the changes are put side by side it makes it so much easier to notice and appreciate the differences.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:29 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Yuki, she actually looks like she might be the one that could stand up, she was quick to act, she was not falling into a lot of her delusional talk, and at the end she is noticing the truth. Could it actually be Yuki who would be the most stable and be able to save them?

I'd hesitate to go too far in this direction. If her delusion can be presumed to still be intact at that point then Yuki may not have fully appreciated that this is a life-and-death matter rather than a simple injury.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:20 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'd hesitate to go too far in this direction. If her delusion can be presumed to still be intact at that point then Yuki may not have fully appreciated that this is a life-and-death matter rather than a simple injury.

If her delusions were fully intact she should have called to get someone, a school nurse or something. Instead she handled the situation with the needed level head and action, not a confusion that might be expected. In times of panic she has had Megumi appear to help her, but oddly she has not appeared at all, in fact I cannot remember if she was in pool episode at all, perhaps hinting that Yuki was working through her problems.

Wait, delusional Megumi had to be in that episode right? She had been in pretty much ever other episode. If she was not, was that them hiding something actually quite important right in front of our face that we thought that there was only a focus on the girls in a fanservice way but not noticing what was gone?
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:26 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Good video on the major changes in the series. I did not even realise that the shadow of Yuki had her delusion versions inside it.

Cam0 wrote:
Good video. When the changes are put side by side it makes it so much easier to notice and appreciate the differences.

There's quite a bit I hadn't noticed until I took the screen captures.
-The delusion inside Yuki's shadow for one (I'd only noticed everything broken around it).
-Episode 10 making the sky darker and adding more zombies, plus Taroumaru by himself on the title card.
-The zombie hands
-Another episode 10, Taroumaru being missing from the cut-out shot of all 4 of them (that one I didn't catch until someone showed the screenshots someone on twitter did, and posted to the review thread).
-Megu-nee's charicature being wiped off
-I'd noticed that the space scene had gone purple, but I hadn't noticed when, nor that it was a darker blue from episode 2 on. Likewise, I'd noticed the red puddle, but not that it had been reddish before that.

There aren't many changes to the 2 endings (since the other 2 are custom videos), but the more subtle ones I almost missed, too. I wouldn't be surprised if there's others I missed, too, there's so few changes. Depending on when I end up getting off today and tomorrow, I'll try to get those out soon.

Interesting thing I did notice, though. The OP changes to reflect the previous episode (or, in the case of episode 10, the previous episode and the cold-open, since the OP was quite far into episode 10). The first ED, on the other hand, reflects changes for the next episode (Megu-nee's car was shaded as they passed it in episodes 1-2, but unshaded in episode 3, we saw it in episode 4. And Taroumaru and Kurumi were alone/missing from the ending in episode 9, and episode 10 we learn why).

~~~~~

I don't believe we've seen Megu since episode 6, actually, where we found out.

Episode 7 was the balloon episode, I don't remember her being in that.
Episode 8 was the "find what the key goes to" episode, the only time she was "there" was Yuki standing outside a door talking to her*
Episode 9 was the water tank episode, she wasn't in that until the end, and we all know that wasn't delusion!Megu.

And then we have Episode 10.

Prior to episode 6, we'd see Megu giving Yuki advice or suggestions, or flat-out protecting her in episode 2. Since we know now that Megu wasn't there, it was actually Yuki coming up with the ideas, or protecting herself.

In this case, I think that Yuki came up with the idea herself, but, likely, in her delusion it was Megu telling her to go boil the water. Since the cat's out of the bag, the animators have chosen not to show us that Megu is still there as part of Yuki's delusion (as the reveal episode was a flashback, it wouldn't make sense for Megu to suddenly be gone from Yuki's delusion), so that we can see that she's actually thinking and protecting herself.

As for if the delusion breaking or not, the scene at the end certainly seemed to imply that it was starting to. But we've also seen, in the mall episodes, that the delusion can break for a time, and not shatter completely.

We're coming up to the end of the series. We only have 2 episodes to go (ANN's encyclopedia entry lists 12, I haven't seen anything to contradict it). Obviously, episode 11 is going to deal with getting the medicine. Likely, they're going to need to have Yuki grounded, so there's a good chance that they could have the delusion shatter next episode, and have episode 12 be the fallout/setting the new status quo/wrapping things up for an ending.

From what manga readers have said, spoiler[chapter 30] gives us a decent stopping point, and spoiler[Yuki's delusion shatters in chapter 29]. If that stopping point is accurate, then spoiler[that increases the chances of my idea of the delusion shattering next episode to lead to the finale].
(Note on the above: The manga spoilers are hearsay, as I haven't read the manga myself, that's just what I've heard)

*What door was that, anyway? It wasn't the staff room door, because they were in the staff room, and Yuki was talking about "bringing back" the stuffed animals. Did Megu have her own room where she slept, apart from the girls? That wouldn't seem very logistically sound, since that's separating someone at night. Or was it the A/V room, that Megu died outside of?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 14