• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How to Destroy your Anime Backlog

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fikshen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote
PopetherevXXVIII wrote:
My backlog is getting unwieldy, not counting fansubs I have

Nadia blue water
the 2nd half of Captian Harlock
Michikoto hacthan
So I can't play H (started not finished, because I have to be alone when I watch it)
Ai Yori Aoshi
a few moves
and I've been sitting on Ghost in the Shell Stand alone complex for like ever.

I blame you tube distracting me.

I have around 30 series/movies/OVA's that I physically own but haven't started/finished... yours isn't too bad, so as long as you don't let it get beyond that list, you'll be fine. haha.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:59 am Reply with quote
It would be interesting to encounter someone who has all of their anime backlog watched because I find that to be something that is really hard to happen. This is because so many fans have so many titles they want to see. Even if they have cleared their backlog, they will likely form a new list.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
I can't speak for the rest, but Nadia isn't anywhere near as good as most people say it is, just watch the movie instead.
Revy's MINE!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Hmm...I must be the only one here that doesn't care how long my "backlog" gets as time goes by. The long list, in my case, minimizes the possibility of myself running out of any anime shows that I have an interest in watching. Anime hyper It may be ages before I watch a certain show but I will get to it eventually.

No, you're not. I said nearly the same (Not worrying about it I mean) a page earlier. I simply keep watching, buying, streaming, etc. No matter how large the stack of unwatched box sets gets, or streaming queues, or even the perpetual "wishlist" that remains eternally filled with old and new titles...I'll get to them eventually. Like many others I also watch almost every genre as well, so there's almost no limit to the available titles. Frankly that's a good thing in my opinion - when I'd be worried in fact is if I DID SOMEHOW run out of "Ok, what's next to watch". Heh heh
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
I can't speak for the rest, but Nadia isn't anywhere near as good as most people say it is, just watch the movie instead.
Good advice in that the movie is so bad (and inferior to the series) that it will make you strike the series off your list, thereby reducing your backlog!
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:

Nadia is much better than what most people say. Even the infamous island episodes are vastly misunderstood because they're animated quite poorly. But they're an integral part of the story and can't/shouldn't be neglected no matter how painful it is to watch them.

As to the movie, two words : gigantic shit.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Great article and a familiar issue Very Happy

relyat08 wrote:
Another thing that helps me is to just pick one show from my backlog and devote one week to it. I'll keep up with all of the current season stuff week to week, but in-between that I make sure that I have one older show devoted to that week. If I make it through that show, I pick another, if, after a week, I haven't made much progress in it, the show probably just wasn't interesting to me and I'll probably drop it.

This is what I've been recently trying to do as well in order to set aside some time to watch some of my backlog, even while new shows keep coming out that I want to watch each season.

Revy's MINE! wrote:
No, you're not. I said nearly the same (Not worrying about it I mean) a page earlier. I simply keep watching, buying, streaming, etc. No matter how large the stack of unwatched box sets gets, or streaming queues, or even the perpetual "wishlist" that remains eternally filled with old and new titles...I'll get to them eventually. Like many others I also watch almost every genre as well, so there's almost no limit to the available titles. Frankly that's a good thing in my opinion - when I'd be worried in fact is if I DID SOMEHOW run out of "Ok, what's next to watch". Heh heh

Agreed, I don't really mind having one. Also, some seasons are weaker than others so you might dip into your backlog a little more sometimes than others.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Nadia is much better than what most people say. Even the infamous island episodes are vastly misunderstood because they're animated quite poorly. But they're an integral part of the story and can't/shouldn't be neglected no matter how painful it is to watch them.

Yeah, I never got this massive disdain for the Island episodes. The Africa episodes? Sure they're awful, but my advice is don't listen to people who say "You have to watch to episode XX and then skip until XX and then skip XX to XX." No, just watch the whole show and then decide to skip episodes if you ever rewatch.
tomzz4

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Thanks! Really needed this slight kick in the butt. Might cut down on my list Very Happy
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I like to think of myself as an anime historian, so sometimes that means watching something I don't particularly find entertaining if the anime is historically or culturally important. So that often gives me a huge backlog of stuff I just can't bring myself to remove from my list.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Good advice in that the movie is so bad (and inferior to the series) that it will make you strike the series off your list, thereby reducing your backlog!

Couldn't disagree more, I found the movie much more entertaining and well structured than anything the series had to offer. Strange that I have the same view for Nadesico.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Just ditch em. I sold my entire "backlog" on either eBay or Facebook. I had to face the hard truth that I bought more than I could possibly catch up on and most of theme were series I'd likely never end up watching. I used to just snatch up any series on sale I could fine without even knowing if I'd like it or not. Now I just buy my favorites and leave the rest to streaming or download. No reason to buy every series imaginable anymore with streaming the way it is.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Hah, I've been keeping a Yearly Backlog list in the Subscriber's forums that I've been updating pretty regularly since the beginning of this year. I love the feeling of knocking something off of my list. I've currently knocked off about 25% of it since the beginning of this year. Of course, the streaming backlog will continue to grow with each season, but as long as what I complete grows at the same rate as what I add, I'll be satisfied. My physical backlog should continue to shrink, however (luckily it isn't too big with only 50 series/movies, with about 25% of them having been watched at this point). Due to streaming, there's less and less need for me to blind buy shows. For the most part, I only purchase my faves. I don't count shows I've bought but already seen streaming as part of my physical backlog, even if I haven't watched the discs.

But, yeah, I'm pretty bad at just dropping series. This article, and a recent frustration with certain series, has convinced me to be harsher and just drop them. Which I already did for one show. I will be a lot less likely to do it for my physical backlog, since I actually paid for those shows and I feel obligated to watch them. Luckily there are few that I feel obligated to watch. Most hold some sort of interest. But I'll be a lot more critical on streaming shows moving forward.

Having said that, I just dropped No Game No Life like a hot potato after just 2 episodes. I really disliked almost every second I watched of it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KaasChuig

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I can't speak for movies or long ovas, but what I've taken to is using a playlist, setting 4-6 anime and watching one episode at a time and moving on to the next one in the queue, then going back to top for the next episode. (easier with fansubs as you aren't constantly changing dvds) For me this is easier than telling yourself you will finish an entire anime series before moving on to another. I kept putting off watching a lot of stuff so long that I just started doing this again recently.
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
being selective or "picky" with media is the only way to go or else you will waste hundreds, if not thousands of hours on junk that isn't worth your time. watching a series based on a favourite director, studio or theme always helps. using high ratings as a standard doesn't hurt either and often times works out in the end so long as you are a fan of the genre. going by word of mouth has a very high chance of backfiring unless you are somewhat trusting (and have similar taste) of the person making the pick. that being said, even a wildcard pick and something you otherwise wouldn't check out on your own is worth a shot on occasion. i would have missed out on plenty of cool things if i didn't trust someone else's suggestions from time to time.

another rule i follow is to not watch more than one or two shows at once. be it anime or live action tv... no more than two at once. i also only play one game at a time. that way my focus and attention is squarely on one thing and the odds are very high i will get through it. i hear of people who try to juggle 3 and 4 things at once and it makes no sense to me... not only are you making your life more difficult in trying to keep up with so much information (characters, stories, plots, game mechanics, etc.), but with every new thing you add, there is a higher likelihood that you will get burnt out or something will get lost in the shuffle and you will never return to it again.

the best advice, as zac suggested, is to cut out what isn't working for you. i agree that 3 episodes is usually a fair number to know whether you should continue with something or not. there are a few exceptions to this as some shows are slow burns and gradually get better in time (gurren lagann took well over 10+ episodes and even then i wasn't crazy about it), but generally it is a rule of thumb that should be followed. the netflix daredevil series just didn't work for me and after 3 eps i gave it the axe and don't regret it one bit. i also don't regret not going back to naruto, not completing elfen liad, or dropping american horror story. there is nothing to be regretful about if something doesn't grab you. just forget about it and move on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8