• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk - Character Discussion -Spoiler Beware-

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suzumiya

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:06 pm Reply with quote
I am bored so I create this topic and also the fact that I manage to catch up with the manga after one-year of devoting my time to the world of anime. Laughing

Anywho, this is the place where you can discuss any characters in the Berserk. Please give a brief description of that person's personality in your eyes. I want to know how each is view in the eyes of others. The most important thing is to give your reason.

I will start off with Princess Charlotte:
Charlotte is an innocent, naive, sweet, gentle princess that is willing to sacrifice anything for the one she love spoiler[(which her knight in shining armor, Griffith). The part she took the poison arrow for Griffith is very touching. I was amaze that she does not think the newly cripple Griffith disgusting or ugly. I like her very much for a weak princess. I find it amusing that during those years of imprisonment as queen, she does countless of stitches of Griffith. I hope later on, Griffith will find it in his heart to love her. She is not my favorite in the show but very lovable nonetheless.]

[/b]
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Berserk is my favorite manga.

Griffith is my favorite character.

spoiler[A lot of people think he's horribly evil, but I must say, I disagree. The most important thing to keep in mind is that Griffith's life ended during the Eclipse. After that, he was Femto. Femto is evil, Griffith is not.

Griffith spent his entire life (well, most of it) trying to accomplish his dream. He was willing to do anything to attain it, but he was also concerned for his soldiers. He sold his body to protect his men after the young boy with the toy knight died. He was a good leader.

When Guts left him, Griffith basically suffered a mental breakdown. He slept with Charlotte, leading to his imprisonment and torture for a year. When he was saved, he found himself helpless. Listening to Guts and Casca's conversation drove him over the edge. He tried to drive the wagon off and ended up throwing himself into the lake, where he tried to kill himself. Thus began the Eclipse.

The Godhand manipulated Griffith. He was completely unstable at that point, and they used a seemingly reasonable argument coupled with very powerful illusions. They showed him the thousands who had died for his dream, including that boy with the knight toy. Then they showed that he had to pile more bodies up to reach the castle, and explained that if he didn't do it, the sacrifices of the thousands who had died would be for nothing. In effect, they forced him to weigh the lives of thousands against the few remaining Hawks. It was a horrific decision to force him to make, and given his unstable condition and their tricks, it is not at all surprising that he cracked and said yes.

Thus ended the life of Griffith.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Nosferatu Zodd

spoiler[This is a lonely fighter who has been wondering the lands for 300 years and has not found any worthy opponents. Then Griffith and Guts give him somewhat of a fight, but when he sees that Griffith has the red egg, he knows that there is a great change that is to come, or you could say a new era. Later he is defeated by Griffith in a dream, and finds one of his horns cut off, thus he is bound to serve Griffith and the New Band of the Hawk. He was also instrumental in rescuing Princess Charlotte. Last, his nemesis happens to be the Skull Knight (my second favorite character), and they seem to know each other from long ago, and will keep fighting until one kills the other. But can that really happen when they are both pretty much immortal?]
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:45 pm Reply with quote
GUTS! enough said.
Suzumiya

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:49 am Reply with quote
coolerimmortal, I also like Griffith. I am going to discuss why I like him later.

Now, Guts. What I said about Guts might be weird to some of you, but feel free to flame/contradict me if you like.

spoiler[ Guts can be describe as a loner that want to be loved. He seeks appreciation and love from Gambino, but harsh reality make him cold-hearted and only fight to survive. Before he met Griffith, he did not find a reason to fight except to survive. What he forever seeks for is a family or a friend. After Griffith went back to save him from Zodd, he swear under his sword and the moon that from now on he will fight for Griffith. He had finally found someone who he is willing to lose his life for, a family, a friend, and someone who he trust with all his heart. In the manga, Griffith always appear high, shining, and seem to glow as if Griffith is a dream to Guts.

After the speech between Griffith and Charlotte, Guts feels like the friendship he share with Griffith may be one sided. That is the reason why he left. He want Griffith's appreciation, respect and friendship from Griffith so bad to go as far as to left his family (the Hawks) and the woman he likes (Caska). Later he realize that he had lost something precious when he walk away that day. He just did not know that he is important to Griffith. Guts thinks that he is just like any other comrades to Griffith. Guts have very very low self-esteem. He thinks that he is worthless (that is why he keep on pondering why Griffith risk his life to save Guts), and that no one loved him.

After the Eclipse, his dream is to seek revenge on Griffith or it is? The reason he swing his sword is still Griffith. After the Eclipse, he seem to cherish the present relationship with his new found companion more. He vowed to himself that he won't leave people behind anymore.

Did he really hate Griffith? Can Guts really kill Griffith (if given the chance)? Thinking back, Guts/Griffith and Brandon/Harry relationship does have a lot of similarities. I hope the ending of Berserk manga is similar to Gungrave. Because I think that Gungave have the most powerful ending in all anime.

I like Guts but I pity him more. ]
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:22 am Reply with quote
I completely agree with you about Gungrave. Great series, BTW.

That's a great analysis of Guts. Can't wait to see what you do next.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Suzumiya

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:44 pm Reply with quote
only 5 posts? not a lot of Berserk fan I see. Crying or Very sad
Anyways, I will continue on.

spoiler[ In my opinion, Griffith character is very complex. Because of the depth, he may be one of the most controversial character in all of anime/manga. By controversial, I mean you either like him or hate him. There really is no in-between.
I may be wrong, but I THINK that most girls like Griffith, while guys hate him. That is just my opinion. Girls like him because...well.. he is beautiful.
I like him not because he is beautiful (or it is?) but because of the his personality. He is not that evil. Actually, he is not evil at all. *run away and hide from tomatoes thrown by Griffith-haters*

Griffith
Griffith is very very clever (he had everything plan out ahead), detail oriented, and see through people hearts (he can tell who Guts is by looking at how Guts fight). He is also very confident (in himself) and independent (he thinks that he don't need anyone in his life). [This remind of of how bugs are attracted to lights. The result: the bugs die. Is the lights evil? Well, we put it there to kill the bugs, but the lights is not at false here] Anyways, Griffith is like a light (the shining hawk) in people hearts. Lonely, hopeless, people with dark past see him as a savior. His comrades are WILLING to die for him, for Griffith's dreams. His ability to lure and charm people (with his look, confident, and belief) is what make him the chosen one. The apostle said that without Griffith knowing it, he had pave a way to his castle with the corpse of his enemies and comrades. It true. His soldiers love and trust for him what make him deadly on the battlefield. But the start of all empire is war. The start of an empire is someone with a big dream, many sacrifices and death. Unless the king use to be a prince. But the king ancestor fight for the kingdoms with their life. ]

To be continue later (it took me 5 mins to write this), too tired now. Wink
Zetsuei

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:47 pm Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:

spoiler[A lot of people think he's horribly evil, but I must say, I disagree. The most important thing to keep in mind is that Griffith's life ended during the Eclipse. After that, he was Femto. Femto is evil, Griffith is not.

Griffith spent his entire life (well, most of it) trying to accomplish his dream. He was willing to do anything to attain it, but he was also concerned for his soldiers. He sold his body to protect his men after the young boy with the toy knight died. He was a good leader.

When Guts left him, Griffith basically suffered a mental breakdown. He slept with Charlotte, leading to his imprisonment and torture for a year. When he was saved, he found himself helpless. Listening to Guts and Casca's conversation drove him over the edge. He tried to drive the wagon off and ended up throwing himself into the lake, where he tried to kill himself. Thus began the Eclipse.

The Godhand manipulated Griffith. He was completely unstable at that point, and they used a seemingly reasonable argument coupled with very powerful illusions. They showed him the thousands who had died for his dream, including that boy with the knight toy. Then they showed that he had to pile more bodies up to reach the castle, and explained that if he didn't do it, the sacrifices of the thousands who had died would be for nothing. In effect, they forced him to weigh the lives of thousands against the few remaining Hawks. It was a horrific decision to force him to make, and given his unstable condition and their tricks, it is not at all surprising that he cracked and said yes.

Griffith IS Femto. Not just that he decided to sacrifice all his friends and betray them for his own ambition.
But the main point is that was no change in Griffith's character whatsoever, neither when he transformed into Femto nor when he got reborn into the human world.
He didn't just see illusions, he thought of his life so far and decided himself about how to continue, did you forget that he used the Behelit in the first place?
It only activates when you are ready to sacrifice what you hold dearest, not just for no reason.
Back when he had sold his body to that noble (I forgot his name) he had a breakdown but he finally decided to follow his dream and stop caring about the sacrifices that had to be made for that.
Also when Guts rescued him he starting resenting him (he even tried to choke him which was obviously futile) because he thought Guts had taken his place and everything Griffith had, had been taken by Guts.
That is also why he raped Casca in front of Guts eyes, to show him he had taken everything back that once belonged to him and that he thought had been stolen by Guts.

Nonetheless he is also my favorite character.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Zetsuei wrote:
coolerimmortal wrote:

Griffith IS Femto. Not just that he decided to sacrifice all his friends and betray them for his own ambition.
But the main point is that was no change in Griffith's character whatsoever, neither when he transformed into Femto nor when he got reborn into the human world.
He didn't just see illusions, he thought of his life so far and decided himself about how to continue, did you forget that he used the Behelit in the first place?
It only activates when you are ready to sacrifice what you hold dearest, not just for no reason.
Back when he had sold his body to that noble (I forgot his name) he had a breakdown but he finally decided to follow his dream and stop caring about the sacrifices that had to be made for that.
Also when Guts rescued him he starting resenting him (he even tried to choke him which was obviously futile) because he thought Guts had taken his place and everything Griffith had, had been taken by Guts.
That is also why he raped Casca in front of Guts eyes, to show him he had taken everything back that once belonged to him and that he thought had been stolen by Guts.

Nonetheless he is also my favorite character.

Femto is a demon. Griffith is a human. Femto has a different mind and different powers. He has Griffith's memories and is almost the same person, but yet he is not.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:00 am Reply with quote
Griffith has a passion. That passion is to have his own kingdom to rule, which a passion any lowly person can have. And he will go to great lengths to make sure that he gets what he wants. On top of that, he will also erase anybody that stands in his way. Look at what spoiler[he did to the queen of Midland. She got charred.] Griffith in a way used his alter ego Femto to resurrect his body and spirit so that he can continue to chase his dream.
godakame

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:16 am Reply with quote
Zetsuei wrote:
Griffith IS Femto.

Have to agree with Zetsuei here; Griffith and Femto are of the same ego, ergo they are one in the same.

The Seventh Son wrote:
GUTS! enough said.

My thoughts precisely. Though if I had to pin-point one particular trait of Guts that I like, it would be his calm gentle non-irate manner of dealing with enemies Wink .
zliplus

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:21 pm Reply with quote
coolerimmortal wrote:
Femto is evil, Griffith is not.

Griffith is portrayed as a heroic character. Yes, he is ambitious and ruthless to the extreme, but he does it for his goals, for his dream. He sacrifices himself in order to create his ideal kingdom and takes care of his band of friends and followers. On the other hand, Femto is portrayed as a villain who sacrificed almost everyone important to him in order to restore his life and gain the power he needs to achieve his goals.

Zetsuei wrote:

Exactly right. Griffith was, from the start, willing to do just about anything to gain power, from assassination to kidnapping and extortion. One moment of weakness from Guts' abandonment and betrayal (from his point of view) led to his breakdown and downfall, naturally leading to his jealousy and eventual betrayal and sacrifice of his friends for his own gain.

In my point of view, the entire manga provides excellent insight both into human weakness and the fine line between "good" and "evil." That being said, Griffith turning into Femto should be considered as a natural evolution of a human crossing the line (which is common, considering the number of Apostles) and not as the creation of a new character.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
the good thing about guts is that he has a lot of crap, but instead of pulling a mecha anime, he sees his enemies and goes ape sh*t on them. personally i want to see the storyline of the manga continue past the story of the anime, meaning at least vol 14. i dont know it hasn't been released.

he may have issues, but that focus is hidden behind a good story full of mountains of blood, severed limbs, mangled chunks of meat and organs...ah yes, good quality entertainment
Suzumiya

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:03 am Reply with quote
I agree that Femto is Griffith (Femto is the one with wings and Griffith is the one with silver hair)
However, somehow I feel different about them and they act different. Femto rapes Caska (she is only alive because Skull Knight save her), Griffith save Caska from the rocks, Femto called Guts 'a useless human, just a sacrifice', Griffith never said anything mean to Guts (he said he came to see Guts to see if anything move him, but he is free now). Somehow, Femto and Griffith attitude is different (to me at least). I wonder if it is because Griffith have a heart (from the deform demon baby) while Femto don't? Femto is Griffith, but his attitude is different from the Griffith before and after the Eclipse. That being said, it is Griffith who decide to sacrifice his whole comrades for a new start. So Griffith is evil (but still I like him)

The reason I like Guts so much is even unknown to me. He is different from other 'bad-ass' main character such as Naruto, Ichigo (from Bleach), Inuyasha, etc. He is much deeper, yet tragic. His looks when he heard Griffith speech on friendship nearly drive me to tears. His looks just broke your heart, I guess.

I will stop for now.
Gobolatula

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Alright, let's consider Griffith BEFORE Guts left the Hawks. Trust me, he was still quite a jerk. Seriously, I hate Griffith more than any other character in any anime or manga.

One can argue that he did care about the hawks and Guts, but he was struggling and struggling to deny it. In the end, he wanted so badly to consider Guts one of his posessions instead of a friend.

Griffith, in the end, is a selfish prick. Screw him.

GUTS POWER
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4