• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
One Punch Man (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:46 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I lost it at the repeating scenic shots during the explanation. They really knew how to make it go on and on.

I imagine the very long monologue given by Genos and its adaptation was a conscious and deliberate decision from the animators, probably to give viewers the same sense of irritation felt by Saitama at his unwanted guest whilst at the same time fulfilling a practical role in keeping the clock ticking for the episode after all of the frames used in the mosquito scenes.

Already plenty of complaints about the type of humour on offer, but that's par for the course depending on the audience watching.
matsushima

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I'm rooting for the villains to kill him.

Excuse me, but does your name happen to be Garou?

spoiler[sorry about making a reference you won't get but I had to]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
I imagine the very long monologue given by Genos and its adaptation was a conscious and deliberate decision from the animators, probably to give viewers the same sense of irritation felt by Saitama at his unwanted guest whilst at the same time fulfilling a practical role in keeping the clock ticking for the episode after all of the frames used in the mosquito scenes.

I actually know someone in real life that can ramble on about random stuff just like Genos, except for much longer and less entertainingly -_-.. And like Saitama, the only way to stop him is to be really blunt about it.

Love the show, so far, though. JAM Project is always cool to hear, and I'm really liking a lot of the satire elements in the writing. And man, is that animation awesome.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:45 am Reply with quote
^
Oh, those people are quite common. I know a couple of guys who ramble without realising, and in fact I'm one of those sorts of people myself. My poor long-suffering family have had many hours of their lives wasted as I drone on about something that only I care about . . .
maoyen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:04 am Reply with quote
Looks like episode 3 is already on Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/watch/858242

Somebody's in trouble.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
maoyen wrote:

Somebody's in trouble.

I thought it as being similcast on Hulu? Or is it up before the Japan airing?
maoyen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
maoyen wrote:

Somebody's in trouble.

I thought it as being similcast on Hulu? Or is it up before the Japan airing?

Before, although I guess it doesn't matter now.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Hmm, this felt less exciting episode than the previous two imo. The House of Evolution stuff was neat and Genos was awesome to watch again. Wasn't too into the fight itself except for Saitama's dialogues which were fairly entertainingly.

The fighting quality was nice though and I liked the majority of the comedy added to it. Genos had some wacky hair at one moment this episode looool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
If there's one thing viewers need to know about Saitama, it's how broke he always is and his constant search for a bargain for household expenses. I never figured out how he pays the rent and buys his groceries if his hobby doesn't pay a regular salary.

It's also revealing that his "secret technique" to becoming strong really isn't that amazing (although I've never seen anyone in real life attempt the training regime he proposed). Then again, in a world setting whereby humans can become crab monsters just by binging on the animal and bodybuilders becoming larger than the Shingeki giants from a home-made steroid, viewers looking for realism or accuracy should just quit the show and find something else more to the tastes.

Despite his strengths, Saitama is clearly better off having Genos around as a disciple. Wrecking multi-story buildings in one attack and being able to sense living organisms at ranges further than normal humans is really handy. Genos isn't anywhere near as strong as Saitama is in this series, but his abilities and the comic foil he provides to Saitama's one-liners contributes to the incongruous mood of this series.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
episode three

I really feel like the show drags on its jokes too long, but I know that's a massive taste thing. SNL is still on and vaguely relevant after all these years and I'd say the same about it. Still, I'm enjoying it just in a more middle-of-the-road way rather than the second-coming-of-Jesus way that seems more common.

I like that Genos is quickly coming to understand his unenthusiastic master, based on him immediately figuring out the reason why Saitama was so angry.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:00 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Trying to actually look at an explanation for some crazy things, I have noticed the little detail that happens with character eyes, like how Saitama got when he got stronger to fight the crab creature. I noticed a similar thing with Genus, but blue instead of red, which makes me think that it has some basis in universe.

Looked like people are after Genos for his overwhelming power, maybe try and get him onto their side. Which will be something else when they see what his new master is like.
ShiroYo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 1-2-3

Yeah, I can't get hyped with this. Knowing that Saitama, at the end of the episode, will solve whatever problem is being presented with the special skill of the day (which is always the same) gives this show a Super Sentai vibe and that completely kills the expectation for the next episode.

So far we had Saitama trying to be fun (nothing against the "I'm so OP that I doesn't care" joke but other sources of humour would be welcome) and Genos feeding animators across Japan, apart from that there isn't much going on.

Also some points don't really make sense. In a moment they show Saitama risking his life to save a random kid when he's weak, but when he gets bored for being too strong its ok for him to be late for a fight and let thousands of people die. That's too much of a personality change just for being bored.

PS: What's up with the emotive ending? It doesn't fit the show at all. Opening is great though, S2 JAM.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
ShiroYo wrote:
PS: What's up with the emotive ending? It doesn't fit the show at all. Opening is great though, S2 JAM.

So you are saying that a song that feels like it is slow, gives a feeling of melancholy, and has some visuals kind of lost humanity, does not fit a show about the slow melancholic life of a man who has lost his humanity?

There may be action in this, but the show has absolutely no drama in its action, essentially kind of feeling like a slow slice of life with moments of interest, and that the most important thing was the sale. It is kind of like someone who has become incredibly efficient in their field that their life is more about a journey rather than a destination.
ShiroYo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:08 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
...a show about the slow melancholic life of a man who has lost his humanity?

Well it was for 2 minutes during the first episode, but after that Saitama pretty much became a walking gag and he is just presented as a disinterested guy now.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:02 pm Reply with quote
His disinterest is part of the parody/satire. I see this whole series as poking fun at the shounen genre. Because in those, you always see characters trying to get better/stronger, and there's always someone better/stronger than the next strongest guy, etc.

But, here, Saitama has already achieved it, seems to be the only guy at that level, and now he's bored out of his mind because nothing is a challenge, anymore. I find that hilarious because it totally goes against the tropes and cliches of said shounen elements. And by this point, he's so over-powered, he considers great grocery deals more important than the prospect of fighting a big bad villain 'cause he knows he'll just one-punch 'em, no problem.

I don't know what happens in the manga, but I'm loving the comedy in the anime so far. I think it's a unique and refreshing take on an already over-saturated genre, yet it still manages to be really badass and funny at the same time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11