• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2011 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:34 pm Reply with quote
so a dark rabbit really isn't really worth 2 dimes eh.. that's a damn shame. Hmm Maybe I will still give it go but I am actually shocked it's based off of a light novel and not eroge. I had the feeling when I watched the preview but that's just me per-say but not everything needs to be animated.. lol. Still maybe it's worth a go it can't be any worse than twin angels right?

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:35 pm Reply with quote
To be fair Key, Mawaru Penguindrum was not on the big list of Summer shows that ANN had released previously. At least it wasn't when I looked for it.

EDIT: This link, no Penguindrum. So if the reviewers were using that as their base then it could have possibly been overlooked. Though I honestly thought there would be something from Zac as soon as the episode came out. He really loves Utena after all.

Last edited by Megiddo on Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Well, Megiddo, since you seem to be the only one doubting it, why not take it upon yourself to find out for sure? Imagine the delight you'd experience in coming back here triumphantly to tell us what a bunch of dumbasses we are. On the flip side, if it turns out that the spoiler is correct, how about paying everybody in this thread $50 to cover the annoyance of seeing you post the same smug message twice?

C'mon Blood-, you know who the burden of proof relies on.

For me, the absence of proof is exactly what I'm going with.

I'm sorry for not blindly believing everything I read on the internet.

You're from Missouri, right? Look, I fully understood and appreciated your point the FIRST time you made it, even though it meant setting aside your rather odious air of assumed superiority. And personally, I think it is a little cheesy to look down your nose at those of us who are prepared to believe the spoiler when you are not prepared to ascertain the truth yourself. I believe there is a saying along the lines of "put up, or shut up" that pertains to this situation.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
To be fair Key, Mawaru Penguindrum was not on the big list of Summer shows that ANN had released previously. At least it wasn't when I looked for it.

EDIT: This link, no Penguindrum. So if the reviewers were using that as their base then it could have possibly been overlooked. Though I honestly thought there would be something from Zac as soon as the episode came out. He really loves Utena after all.

This afternoon is the first chance I've had since yesterday to watch anything; I'll be doing that one and a few others tonight.
Saturn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Carl Kimlinger wrote:
Shion's increasingly unrealistic reactions to Rat's aggression and sports a few thoroughly unnecessary hints of homoeroticism

You say "thoroughly unnecessary", I say "the only reason I picked this show out of all the others this season to give a chance to before I had heard anything else about it" Razz They know their audience. It's not a bad thing.

Anyway, if we can throw physical attraction into the mix, the weirdly escalating insta-friendship between Shion and Nezumi seems a little less forced.

In all honesty though, even with huge slash goggles, the two don't have a whole lot of chemistry. Not yet, anyway.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Giving each show its own page is likely the only option that is as fast and efficient, update-wise, as it is now. I'll explore that in the Fall. This guide is already a tremendous amount of work. I don't need it to be more work.

Don't pay any mind to those whiners and nitpickers, Zac. You guys are doing an amazing job covering all these shows every season even while doing regularly work for ANN and, be still my beating heat, maybe even having a life outside of your jobs.

I'm among those that like the review format just the way it is now. As you said, many people prefer to read certain reviewers' 2 cents over others, and that's just fine. It's not hard to figure out who has reviewed what so far, either. (I know, I know, stopping for .8 seconds to read all those troublesome sentences listing the anime names. Phew! If I can manage it with my ADHD, anyone can)

Keep up the great work, and don't let little forumites drag down your mood. Anime catgrin ANN is my favorite news site for all things otaku, and I couldn't be happier with how much love and hard work everyone puts into it.
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:58 pm Reply with quote
It is unclear whether Idolm@ster is trying to be anime or a reality show, or maybe a visual novel without any choices. It fails at all three.

It's pretty clear Rebecca if you watch the scene after the ED.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I think if Mayo Chiki put some type of plot in the first episode it would be a bit better. I will still watch it regardless but it looks like something I would watch at least once.

I will need to give Dark Rabbit a watch. Good or bad I don't care I just need the new show fix.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me, or do the reviewers here seem to hate Otaku anime or something? Every single show thats aimed at the more hardcore anime fans are bashed to hell, while the shows that are aimed at a casual audience are loved. Like they all hate on Idolmaster, when the fact is, thats gonna be the biggest show from this season when its all said and done, both sales wise and popularity wise. And anything with panty shots is called trash.

Just seems weird to me how these reviewers don't really seem like typical anime fans, but more like people who just watch anime casually.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Is it just me, or do the reviewers here seem to hate Otaku anime or something? Every single show thats aimed at the more hardcore anime fans are bashed to hell, while the shows that are aimed at a casual audience are loved. Like they all hate on Idolmaster, when the fact is, thats gonna be the biggest show from this season when its all said and done, both sales wise and popularity wise. And anything with even panty shots is called trash.

Just seems weird to me how these reviewers don't really seem like typical anime fans, but more like people who just watch anime casually.

difference in culture boundaries per say, the stuff that panders to the hard core otaku are meant for the Japanese audience while the more main-stream shows appeal to us or more of the fans in east. Honesty I like mayo chiki but it's just a guilty pleasure show, nothing more nothing less but you have to remember most people that got into anime in the states. wasn't for the ecchi or nudity it was either the scifi/gore and engaging story, characters and so forth. I like shoujo shows and even some b.l. shows now but when I first stared out it was just your typical dbz, tenchi muyo and evanegelion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shaterri

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Mawaru Penguindrum, is there any sign on whether it's going to be picked up for streaming by anyone? I'd love love love to have some legal means for watching this show if at all possible...
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
difference in culture boundaries per say, the stuff that panders to the hard core otaku are meant for the Japanese audience while the more main-stream shows appeal to us or more of the fans in east.

If the otaku stuff outsells and outperforms the more casual stuff then maybe the otaku stuff is the mainstream stuff and stuff that happens to tickle the fancies of the Western audience is just a happy coincidence.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:29 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
difference in culture boundaries per say, the stuff that panders to the hard core otaku are meant for the Japanese audience while the more main-stream shows appeal to us or more of the fans in east.

If the otaku stuff outsells and outperforms the more casual stuff then maybe the otaku stuff is the mainstream stuff and stuff that happens to tickle the fancies of the Western audience is just a happy coincidence.

To be blatant honest it's sales in japan that matter, our sales don't so that's why. The more moe shows that are made are not up to us it's up the people that buy and give money for the shows in Japan so they decided what's going to be produced in so animators can make a profit. I don't hate moe~ shows nor do I hate all otaku pandering shows there just a tad few as of late.

Last edited by Cecilthedarkknight_234 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:32 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Is it just me, or do the reviewers here seem to hate Otaku anime or something? Every single show thats aimed at the more hardcore anime fans are bashed to hell, while the shows that are aimed at a casual audience are loved. Like they all hate on Idolmaster, when the fact is, thats gonna be the biggest show from this season when its all said and done, both sales wise and popularity wise. And anything with panty shots is called trash.

I think you're confusing "Otaku anime" with "egregious fan pandering." What you're talking about isn't aimed at "more hardcore anime fans." They're aimed at perverts and teenagers. Are you insinuating that a hardcore anime fan can't appreciate something like Croisee or Usagi Drop?

Last edited by ANN_Bamboo on Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Is it just me, or do the reviewers here seem to hate Otaku anime or something? Every single show thats aimed at the more hardcore anime fans are bashed to hell, while the shows that are aimed at a casual audience are loved.

I think it's more because the show that is aimed at otaku has already been done before. They're rehashes of a known formula that works for sales. Whereas those for a more casual audience tend to have more individuality and set themselves apart.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 30