• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mr. Osomatsu

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Ichimatsu has some really subtle-sad moments this ep. I wonder if he waited for Jyushimatsu to leave before going himself?

I guess that was Karamatsu stepping up as the second oldest, seeing as Osomatsu was starting to lose it. It's not a role we've seen him in. I am curious about the aftermath of that punch. I'd think Kara would try talking some sense into him, though it probably wouldn't have much impact. We don't see Oso trying to stop his brothers from leaving, but he had pretty much shut down by the time Choromatsu left.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I really liked that scene with Choromatsu crying in the car.
Idgal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
this was a great episode. the second half was a surprising tone as it was so somber.
but I like that.
We know how each brothers personalities are and this was a great piece that show the more serious side of them.
remember in the beginning Osomatsu said he wanted to always be a only child, well I think he is getting his wish and not liking the feeling at all.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:58 am Reply with quote
Watching this episode really shows off the the talents of Yoichi Fujita really well, he knows how to remix comedy and seriousness together effortlessness. I've seen people crying over this, even though it is just a comedy.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
YES YES that was great, it started off a little slow, but then it ramped right up. Really liked how the Wolf Brigaded from Jin-Roh was there to kill everyone. the Baseball match was great. I loved how it went all Gurren Lagann at the end when the promise of sex made them do that over the top bat swing, which of cause doesn't work, and Totoko had to commit seppuku.

This really needs to be licensed, I want to own it on Blu-Ray.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:07 am Reply with quote
Well, they certainly went all-out, didn't they? I was expecting the finale to be crazy, but wow... I imagine some fans will be (understandably) disappointed by the fake-out, but I think this was the best possible note the show could have gone out on.

On the off-chance that more episodes are never produced, should we just assume everyone stayed dead this time?
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Whereas any other show (with the possible exception of Gintama) would lose points for devoting half of its penultimate episode to setting up a fake finale

Personally, i would have been highly disappointed if last week's ep. hadn't been the setup for...well, this! That's the level of humour i'm expecting from Osomatsu-san! Laughing

This episode was easily one of my favourites, the sports anime parody was hilarious and every character went out with a bang. Wink Though i wouldn't say no to another season, of course.
chex mix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:35 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Quote:
Whereas any other show (with the possible exception of Gintama) would lose points for devoting half of its penultimate episode to setting up a fake finale

Personally, i would have been highly disappointed if last week's ep. hadn't been the setup for...well, this! That's the level of humour i'm expecting from Osomatsu-san! Laughing

This episode was easily one of my favourites, the sports anime parody was hilarious and every character went out with a bang. Wink Though i wouldn't say no to another season, of course.

Agreed on all counts; the last several episodes have been for the most part entirely too unfunny to meet the high expectations the first cour built up in terms of humor. So very glad this episode got immediately serious about not being serious. I died for a minute there with the sports anime parody overload culminating in the giant flag hoist from Prince of Tennis, and by the time we got to WTFjyushimatsuthing I straight up choked on my fizzy water. Goodbye, Coachmatsu, and thanks for all the fish... see you soon can't come soon enough, especially with Gintama out too.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I walked away from this week's Mr. Osomatsu thinking, “What on earth did I just watch?”

Exactly. I have no idea how I'm even supposed to discuss this episode lol.
consignia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
I was quite disappointed with the last episode. Not the resolution to the previous episode; that was perfect. But the baseball tournament, no matter how outlandish, was just a bit standard. I still laughed, but I think it could have been better. I think that Iyami's Wacky Race would have been a better final episode.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
I was quite disappointed with the last episode. Not the resolution to the previous episode; that was perfect. But the baseball tournament, no matter how outlandish, was just a bit standard. I still laughed, but I think it could have been better. I think that Iyami's Wacky Race would have been a better final episode.
Well as I said at the time, they were never going to top Iyami's Counterattack.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:26 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
consignia wrote:
Well as I said at the time, they were never going to top Iyami's Counterattack.

I'm actually not sure which episode I enjoyed more. They were both written in the same style - i.e., "do away with any semblance of emotion and cram as many jokes as possible into 20-odd minutes" - but I can't decide which one utilized this formula more effectively.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
That 4-6-3 home run was right up there with Eyeshield 21's having the quarterback sack the opposing quarterback. That had me laughing for a good 2 minutes, to where I had to back up to see what went on after that.

I think this comes in second as my favorite episode, after the delinquents sketch they did in episode 20.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Ah, that was a fun finale~

I love how they segued from the dramatic end of last episode to... this. The preview from ep. 24 takes on a whole new meaning! Having watched a deal of sports anime and being generally aware of how big baseball is in Japan, it hit all the right sports parody notes--as well as the comedy Osomatsu generally excels in. (...Ace of Diamond also ended Monday! So it was like double baseball finales starring Takahiro Sakurai.)

Also lots of great character moments, like Ichimatsu accidentally supporting Karamatsu. Choromatsu can deride Osomatsu all he wants, but they still wind up getting wasted on the bench together.

I'm gonna miss this show. With its sales, I expect it to return soon enough, but there's still a wait. Y'know how companies try to copy successful series? Do you think anyone will try that with Osomatsu? I feel it'd be quite difficult. Osomatsu has this blend of history, pop culture, modern comedy, characters, and talent behind it that you can't replicate so easily. It's not the same as grabbing the basic plot and character archetypes of whatever anime managed to hit 20K average disc sales.

Of course, maybe it just means we'll see producers revamping old cartoons.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
Of course, maybe it just means we'll see producers revamping old cartoons.

That worked out pretty well for adult swim. Wink
Cielito_Lindo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Man, this show was such a ride haha I hope we get another season someday.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 15