• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Finer and Dandier

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, I know that people from Funimation have said on ANNcast at various times that the rereleases are basically targeted towards people that are just now watching an older show. That could be people completely new to anime, or people like myself who might discover/get around to watching an older title years after it came out. Throw in the fact that several of the shows that have aired on Toonami over the last few years have been "old" shows, and I can see where there is a market for discounted versions.
True enough, I usually pick up the first release rather than waiting, but it's pretty nice to pick up a discounted rerelease if it is available at the time.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Surely the bulk of sales must happen when a show first comes out,

I personally almost never buy series when they first come out. I've been dying to get Railgun S and Index II, but I'm waiting for a re-release on them. The new ones are just too expensive for me and I always look at the prices and go "I really really want it, but I'll wait" (fortunately, Railgun S will be getting a complete release soon).
Now, it does depend by company and how cheap re-releases will be. Nozomi's re-releases aren't significantly cheaper, so if I want it, I'll get it now (like Rose of Versailles). Discotek's releases of older series can be pricy, but you also get a lot of episodes per set, so it adds out ok, I just wait for sales.
But for Sentai and Funi, I always wait for re-releases unless it's a really special show or special edition that I simply must have. I think the last new Funi release I got right when it came out in half sets was Steins;Gate, so that was several years ago. And getting the half sets when they fall into RightStuf's bargain bin after a complete collection comes out isn't the same thing. For example, Funi's Railgun S cost $60 MSRP but only has 12 episodes (even if it does have a dub), so it'd have MSRP $120 for the whole series. Sentai's re-release of Patlabor has 11 or 12 eps and costs $60 for DVD, $70 for blu-ray, and they didn't even have to create the dub on it and they released it in 4 sets. Meanwhile, Discotek's Mazinger sets cost $70 MSRP, but have 46 episodes, even if they're sub only. Nozomi's first release of Rose of Versailles had 20 eps, a chipboard box, and extra booklet and MSRP of $50 (or $100 for 40 eps). And lot of their 12-13 ep newer releases have MSRP between $40 and $45 (including the reviewed this week Tamayura Hitose).
So as long as I like the show, I find I get more bang for my buck from both Nozomi and Discotek. The only way I can typically feel like I'm getting a similar price from Funi or Sentai is to wait for a cheaper re-release down the line. Though it is a fact that I prefer the older series put out by Discotek and Nozomi, but at least I can guess that they're going to put all 26 eps of Giant Gorg out at once for under $60.

Though the sheer number of DBZ re-releaes baffles me, there comes a point where 6 iterations is enough, right? Right? Or are there actually more? Or are there just enough hardcore fans who buy every release + new fans combined to make a completely new set of 291 episodes in a slightly new format with half of a new extra to warrant this every 3-4 years?

As for those shelves, I was hoping that there'd better be some Maison Ikkoku with that online handle! And there's all the anime indeed! I only have the first 3 sets, though I do own all the manga.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I've really loved Tamayura ever since it was just a short OVA series. Been pleasantly surprised that so much more of it has been made since, with the two TV series and now the final four movies. Hoping Nozomi will license and release the rest eventually.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Rereleases on BD make some sense. I'm thinking about buying another copy of Noein for that reason, though I'm not sure the original production quality makes that worthwhile. I can upscale on my video equipment if I want to. At least they're still including the travelogue with Akane and Kudo where we get to hear the director call his young seiyuu "scary" ("kowai"), but I still have a hard time hearing the difference between that and "kawaii" ("cute")! It's pretty apparent from that video that Akane had a bit of a crush on Kudo-san.

I would buy a BD release of the Apothecary series by Nakamura and Toei if the equivalent to this version were available here. Cinedigm (remarkably) released a DVD version of Mononoke last year, which I own, but I'd double-dip for a subtitled BD version at an affordable price.

Of course there are still shows that deserve a release in North America like Dennou Coil. And if someone wanted to release the remaining 59 episodes of Monster I'd probably buy those, too. I look at the Siren Visual catalog and wonder why Australians get to buy shows like these, or Nodame Cantabile and Chihayafuru, while they are ignored here in the US.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
just remember that the “sub purity” argument is particularly weak for this one.

^I love this statement. It's my favorite one in the whole article. :D
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Love the Tamayura review, which represents exactly how I feel about the show; nothing Junichi Sato's done since Aria has quite been able to recapture the magic of his earlier shows (apart from his episode of Sketchbook ~full color'S~), but this series comes the closest.

I began liking Tamayura a lot more when I noticed that it is also an old-fashioned allegory with a particularly charming theme. One of Sato's favorite subject matters is perspective, conceived by him not as a problem (as it is in shows like Evangelion, where characters' clashing views of the world result in psychological meltdowns) but as an opportunity: in Sato's anime, art, personality, and emotion are all created through the observation of the natural world and of other people, and through the interpretation of that observation within each individual's unique perspective. When those with different perspectives meet, the encounter can be abrasive, but always results in personal growth for each party (the Akari-Aika-Alice dynamic is a good example of this).

Tamayura plugs this concept into an allegory of the senses. Each of the protagonist uses a different traditional sense to interpret the world: for Fuu, who sees everything through the lens of her camera, vision is the dominant sense, but for potpourri master Kaoru (whose very name can mean, "to be fragrant") scent represents the most interesting stimulant in the external world. Ever-whistling Maon (whose name contains the character for "sound" or "note") communicates through sound without worrying about the medium of words, while aspiring pâtissière Norie feels that taste is the way to understand other people's hearts. When all four of these senses are joined in one of Sato's trademark group hugs they form the sense of touch, which is also portrayed in Tamayura by Fuu's exuberant little brother Kou. Other minor characters represent more minor (often punning) "senses," from the sense of direction to the sense of memory to the sense of responsibility. In this way, Tamayura fulfills that Platonic ideal of allegory in which each character is simultaneously a personified concept and a fully-fleshed-out individual, all in service of the series' ultimate message: that even within ourselves we carry multiple perspectives, and if we engage with the world using the full kaleidoscopic array of our senses, synthesizing and ruminating upon all the seeming dissonances of their parallactic reports, we can form a richer, more joyful, and more balanced appreciation of the reality through which we move.

Sadly, this pure allegory becomes increasingly watered down as the the later seasons of Tamayura progress, but the show's theme remains the same and it continues to inspire bursts of wonderfully potent emotional investment. I too am quite grateful the series has continued as long as it has!
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Umi Monogatari is a series I've heard good things about, but have yet to check it out for myself. Forgot that it had been licensed, will be buying this one for myself...Merry Christmas to me. Laughing
Brian_FTP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:07 am Reply with quote
I agree with everything that was said in the Space Dandy review. The only thing I would mention to people who have yet to see the series is that the music in Space Dandy deserves just as much attention as the animation. The music is as eclectic as the art styles from episode to episode.
Koda89

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:54 am Reply with quote
I tend to only buy shows in their "complete" forms, unless of course a show has multiple years between their releases.

As such for things like Space Dandy I am waiting for the complete series re-release. I don't exactly have the money to toss around to buy the individual parts of a show that I know will be getting a complete release eventually.

So I'll get Space Dandy, but not until FUNi combines the two cours into one package.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:03 am Reply with quote
Why can't The Origin be more reasonably priced. Why Sad

So much cheaper in Japan.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:00 am Reply with quote
Tamayura is one of my all time favorites. I hope More Aggressive and the four movies all get picked up so I can add them to my shelves!
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:55 am Reply with quote
MrBonk wrote:
Why can't The Origin be more reasonably priced. Why Sad

So much cheaper in Japan.

it because of those importing pricing and all of that BS. to be frank, that price is a hell of lot manageable than those prices Aniplex of America & NIS America does for their releases.

Quote:
While the title character started out as a comically crude buffoon, latter half Dandy has grown into something of a romantic antihero.

Not exactly. we was still more of an comic buffoon during second season and became the antihero later on.

And to be frank, most US audiences prefer him as a comically crude ass idiot over the antihero stick. sure it worked for him later on , but the last thing anyone wanted was for him to turn into another Spike Spiegel, and considering that this series was Watanabe's baby, there were definite concerns within the US audience that he was gonna pull a cowboy bebop and have dandy become more and more like Spike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:03 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
to be frank, that price is a hell of lot manageable than those prices Aniplex of America & NIS America does for their releases.

How is NISA even remotely like AoA? Aniplex releases tend to be priced much higher with worse packaging than NISA's.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
Have to start importing Fairy Tail if it isn't picked up again in the UK soon.
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
No comment in your Tamayura review on the fact that Nozomi is only giving us a DVD edition of an anime that for once is actually worth BD quality? I'm quite disappoint with Nozomi's continuing refusal to do BD releases (Sound Of The Sky/Sora No Oto is another example that really should've been BD).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2