• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
10 Moments of Spectacular Animation from 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Hansond Jaysond Lee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I dont really like the series.
but God Eater has some amazing animations.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Another piece of animation that I think is just spectacular at displaying emotion is this piece from Death Parade. https://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/12458/animated-character_acting-death_parade-effects-liq

And also this one:
https://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/13478/3d_background-animated-cgi-character_acting-death_

Both by Takashi Kojima according to the source.
Yuyucow

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
jimoli5395 wrote:
One moment that I would personally put on this list is the final episode of Your Lie in April. The animation for the musical segment was breathtaking.

I agree completely with you. It was an spectacular scene.

---

I was going to say that the minotaur battle scene in DanMachi was missing (I thought it was amazing), but then I saw it at the bottom of the article. Another nice piece of animation was, I think, Sound! Ep 8, at the end of the episode, when Reina puts her finger on Kumiko's forehead and then goes to the lip, and then that little bounce... That was amazing.

Very nice article, and damn you for putting that Shirobako scene. I can't get over it yet. Crying or Very sad

I considered mentioning KimiUso, but as well made as the finale was my personal highlight there was Takashi Kojima's solo animation work on #5. Flat out one of my favorites ever, so much to love about the lively character acting in that episode.
And yes, that Eupho scene was lovely! I hope that knowing that writing about Shirobako's scene brought a tear to my eye makes you feel better at least.

Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
ANN: constantly bad mouths scanlators and people who translate anime illegally.

ANN: talks about Go! Princess Precure, which isn't licensed by any company in the US, so they are clearly watching it through illegal means.

The hypocrisy of this site never ceases to amaze me.

I think it's very nice of you to worry about how much I support the industry! Here's a picture of my copy of the key animation book bought from the animator in charge himself. Sadly I can't take photos of the bluray boxes because they'll all ship together when the last one is out.

Imitosis wrote:
I thought Haikyuu s2 had a few nice highlights this year. The scene of Hinata running and leaping after a ball in episode 1, the nice and weighty fight in episode 5, and Hideki Takahashi's solo key animated episode 4 stood out in particular.

Haikyuu S2 almost made it to the shortlist at the end, alongside other stuff like Shikama's Garo scene. As cool as the background animation in the first episode of Haikyuu S2 is (and polished to the point I saw people who thought the building was CG), I'd have gone with that wrestling scene from #5; Haikyuu's good at making bodies feel volumetric&weighty, and that scene displays it well. Hopefully now that the series will have real matches we'll see that applied to the actual sport.

FierceAlchemist wrote:
I got to see the Boruto movie in LA and I can confirm that those cuts in the movie's climax are amazing. There's also a great Naoki Kobayashi fight at the beginning and some sweet cuts in the middle too.

A little sad to see no mention of the last episode of Your Lie in April on here. Not only did it have some awesome animation by Kei Suezawa, but it was also impeccably directed and featured some amazing backgrounds and lighting.

Also a shout out to Yutaka Nakamura's amazing fight fight from Conrete Revolutio.

Even as someone who hadn't cared about Naruto for ages I'm jealous, and quite looking forward to actually seeing it! Yutapon's Conrevo cut is definitely something only he could ever do - I don't think it flows particularly well as a sequence, but it's definitely All The Yuta Things.

bastek66 wrote:
>2015
>still using gifs

WEBMs, idiots. Embrace the future.

Well, thankfully every scene I talked about is linked as a webm/mp4! Now everyone can be happy, Mr. Polite Commenter.

Valhern wrote:

Pokemon's something I'm too lazy to follow properly but always try to watch the highlights of, mostly because Iwane's an unsung anime hero. Quite happy to see that Ohashi has been showing up and even doing some AD work over there - a friend discovered him in Gundam BF and ever since then we've been looking at his effects work, he's quite good!

Akane the Catgirl wrote:
With that out of the way, I don't really watch a lot of recent anime. However, I did take time out of my schedule to watch Nishi-Ogikubo. It was quite charming! The animation itself is fantastic, and the story is easy to follow, even if you don't know the (very little) Japanese used. Silence is golden, after all. I should also add I Can Friday By Day to list of Sakuga moments. Anyone else?

I Can Friday By Day's fight (?) and all the Hammerhead cuts by Ito were my initial choices to highlight Animator Expo work, until I realized I'm too in love with Nishi-Ogikubo's visuals to choose anything else. Technically that means I cheated because it was first uploaded in mid Dec 2014, but weeeeeell it's just the best.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Really loved this scene from Concrete Revolutio. It's not One Punch Man, but this show had some pretty great animation so far.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Crossadder wrote:
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
ANN: constantly bad mouths scanlators and people who translate anime illegally.

ANN: talks about Go! Princess Precure, which isn't licensed by any company in the US, so they are clearly watching it through illegal means.

The hypocrisy of this site never ceases to amaze me.

Yeah, it's almost like there exists something called freelancers who might not share ANNs stance on things. -_-

But, I agree that ANN is stupid and all that most of the time.

And yet here you both are posting on our forums. How quaint. However, in tradition with our stuffy & tyrannical hypocrisy where we silence people who don't share our views I am going to have to ask you 2 to actually stay on topic and keep the sophomoric insults to a minimum. That would be great. Thanks.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:51 pm Reply with quote
One moment that REALLY surprised me this year was during the Episode of Sabo One Piece special. I'm not sure if I can call it the best but since I watched that special with such a bored demeanor (I usually only read the manga for one piece and was only looking to see if there would be any not worthy animated sequences.) it really shocked me an served as a bit of a wake up call.

https://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/16980/animated-debris-effects-fighting-liquid-one_piece-

https://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/16981/animated-debris-effects-fighting-liquid-one_piece-

It was the kind of cartoony fighting I WANT to see in a show like one piece, where Luffy's rubber body is fully utilized and the sheer size and weight of don chin jao (I believe that's his name) didn't get in the way at all. It's the kind of near high maintenance action sequence that you see for characters with relatively normal physiques that's been adapted to fit the more over the top look of One Piece and whenever I see that it really stands out to me.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh, wow.
I wouldn't have expected that some series that I wouldn't care to check out have some nice animations. I don't know Absolute Duo's got that opening animation. It reminds me of the Rurouni Kenshin fighting sequence in its opening too (I remember it's a great one).

I've been adoring some of Rolling Girls' and BBB's animations. But Nishi-Ogikubo seems to be my favorite in this list, wish to see the entire short now.
(and I've yet to see One Punch Man, ugh)

Anyway, good work, this needs to be Weekly Feature!
Very Happy
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Obviously I do not have ANN visitors statistics, but recent versions of firefox and chrome do support webm and those two cover atm 86.6 of web browser usage. IMO is not bad to force people to update their browsers to the latest version, since using old versions (or old browsers like IE or safari) only rises the risk of malware infection.

The statistics I quoted (~20%) are ANN's traffic, not the traffic of a page that is literally for web developers, which is obviously going to be weighted towards desktop Chrome. Safari is not old or insecure, and it's the main choice for anyone on iOS. We are a bigger site, and we have to accommodate everyone. WebM is not a feasible option without an MP4 fallback, and then we're getting into big development projects that we'd like to do someday but are not able to do right now.

Anyway, enough ridiculous nerd nit-picking our development choices. Back on topic.
chito895

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Yuyucow wrote:

I considered mentioning KimiUso, but as well made as the finale was my personal highlight there was Takashi Kojima's solo animation work on #5. Flat out one of my favorites ever, so much to love about the lively character acting in that episode.
And yes, that Eupho scene was lovely! I hope that knowing that writing about Shirobako's scene brought a tear to my eye makes you feel better at least.

That's how I reacted when I scrolled down and saw Aoi there. I believe that scene is as powerful as Anohana's last episode (emotionally speaking).

If I remember correctly, episode 5 of Shigatsu was the first play between Kaori and Arima, right? I have to rewatch the series ASAP.[/quote]
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I would place the ice-skating scene in Death Parade among my top-ten this year. It was so beautifully rendered that it brought tears to my eyes. The OP animation of Decim and his assistant dancing together (motion-capture perhaps?) was top-notch if brief, as was the OP itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjjTMNDZi-A

One other little snippet that caught my eye recently was the color-changing drink in episode ten of Subite ga F. I thought Akagami no Shirayuki-hime was nicely illustrated throughout, but nothing really stood out from an animation perspective. Otherwise, like the reviewer, the only shows to make much of an impression on me visually were Euphonium and Shirobako, and the latter only occasionally. Still who could not love Ema's exercise sequence from Shirobako: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIY0J3e0Kc8. The cut to Yumi's cigarettes was especially amusing.

I'd also like to put in a word for the OP for "Andes Chucky," (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_jhRb_9yPA) the homage to Rocky Chuck (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr5Lu3eQGMc) that comes up repeatedly throughout Shirobako. I only wish they had shot it in 4:3 rather than 16:9 to match the original, but then PAW would have had less screen real estate to show the credits. (I really liked Imaishi's use of 4:3 in the flashback sequences during Kill la Kill for similar reasons.)

Overall, though, this was a pretty weak year for anime.
Dayblack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote
I agree with some others mentioned but not with all. Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon ?and Seraph of the end, if I said that those animes have good animation is because I have cancer in my eyes. His animation was really horrible.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Dayblack wrote:
I agree with some others mentioned but not with all. Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon ?and Seraph of the end, if I said that those animes have good animation is because I have cancer in my eyes. His animation was really horrible.

We're just looking at specific scenes, not the shows as a whole. I think both of those shows definitely have had some really top notch moments.

From Seraph of the End.. I mean, this's pretty solid:
https://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/18919/3d_background-animated-cgi-effects-fighting-owari_
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Also very happy to see those scenes from Nishi-Ogikubo and Shirobako highlighted, both wonderful. That Shirobako episode was one of the few I've felt compelled to rewatch not that long after watching the first time. spoiler[Was such an emotionally satisfying breakthrough for Zuka that everything with her before had built up to, and then seeing Aoi react the way she did... So many happy tears.]
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:25 pm Reply with quote
I have to be honest, I don't really like the sakuga thing. When I'm watching a new show and I try to pick apart specific scenes or frames of animation, I find it very jarring, particularly with subtitles. When I really get involved in the story and I am trying to do this, it has less impact on me the first time through. I pick up on auditory cues more easily, but the deconstruction of complex motion is very difficult. If I do go back and re-watch a show enough times though, I start to pick up on certain sequences of animation that really explode on the screen. Going forward, I think I'll continue to do things this way.

There were some beautiful examples on that list, though. Reading what you guys have to say is interesting enough to make me appreciate a different way of processing information. Even an amateur can recognize personality and joy went into these frames. l also admit I was watching that particular fight sequence from episode one of One Punch Man with my jaw open, and I immediately thought to myself: "This is going to be an awesome show." So far, I haven't been wrong.
Via_01

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the DanMachi minotaur battle is getting some love, even if it's only at the end of the page. I'm still amazed and how well they nailed the sense of weight, and how the MC's movements became heavier and slower the more tired he became, but without anyone commenting on it... it was delivered solely through the animation. The show itself is not spectacular, but that scene is probably one of the most memorable ones for me in the entire year.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5