• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
10 Moments of Spectacular Animation from 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thoraxes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:38 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the action and transformation scenes in the third season of Dog Days. Hironori Tanaka's transformation scenes when the characters use their hero crystals are some major standouts, especially Nanami's.

I also really loved this cut credited to Kenichi Takase too!

All in all though, this season had a lot more animation than the previous ones by far, and the show really benefitted from it. Tanaka did a lot of great work in this show, and it... shows.

Last edited by thoraxes on Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
3ngag3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:46 am Reply with quote
Where is the road roller? Is DIO gonna have to mudamuda someone?

In all seriousness though, David Production did a fantastic job with Stardust Crusaders. I wish they got a little more love around here.
nobody knows

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
fate has the perfect animation . fight - talk whatever they do wonderful job put the other movies and tv shows on shame.

one punch man has my respect on their fights but other than that the animation is ok .

fate has my vote for sure.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote
Hey I'm just glad they mentioned Princess Precure. It's one of Toei's best looking shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spleen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Excellent choice for number one (no such thing as no particular order). I confess I watched Sound Euphonium with one eye while doing the crossword, but it was still lovely, and I still loved that bridge scene. Best running scene since Run Lola Run.

I can't argue with the non-appearance of Seraph of the End given the competition, but it still had great moments. There was one scene in particular where Yui is about to get his head cut off due to his brazen stupidity and Shinoa Hiragi blocks the blow with her scythe... what can I say, I love impractical weaponry. But she steals the show, being the only character that threatens three-dimensionality, and it was summed up in that impossible interception to save Yui's neck.

And you could make a case for the entire top ten being One Punch Man, so that's as good a choice as any.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:
Where is the road roller? Is DIO gonna have to mudamuda someone?

In all seriousness though, David Production did a fantastic job with Stardust Crusaders. I wish they got a little more love around here.

I agree that David Production NAILED it, and I love that show (and that scene) to death, but i don't necessarily think it fits in with this list. JJBA didn't really have any stand-out, beautifully done animation sequences. The roadroller scene was great, but a large part of it was done with still frames, zoom-ins, and well-implemented but standard animation.

I've been digesting this article for a while and, even though I haven't and probably won't ever watch Euphonium, I can't get that 'Girl Running' GIF out of my head. Dang, but that sequence was beautiful, maybe the best I've ever seen, even out of context.

I hope we see many more animation articles like this! Thanks for the great work, please keep it up Smile

PS: Here's what might be the greatest use of the "Roadroller" meme I have ever seen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0T_-RiNZaY
Ulinox

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I have to say the Dio fight in Stardust Crusaders felt really underwhelming after the amazing Vanilla Ice fight that preceded it. That fight was probably the best-looking and best animated fight in the whole season, in my opinion, of course.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Usagi-kun wrote:
I have to be honest, I don't really like the sakuga thing.

So... you don't like high quality, fluid animation? Isn't that all sakuga really stands for?
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
The new Code Geass OVAs, Akito the Exiled 3 and 4, had not only absolutely beautiful backgrounds and character animation, but also some of the best dang CGI mecha battles around (the 4th episode did anyway). If that's the future of CGI in anime, I have no complaints.

Iron-Blooded Orphans also looks pretty gorgeous during the fight scenes, with some of the best choreography in the franchise.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Karasu-Lacryma wrote:
The new Code Geass OVAs, Akito the Exiled 3 and 4, had not only absolutely beautiful backgrounds and character animation, but also some of the best dang CGI mecha battles around (the 4th episode did anyway). If that's the future of CGI in anime, I have no complaints.

As much as I dislike CG most of the time, I'm really excited to see these. I popped my Blu-ray in the other day, and just watching the first few minutes of episode 1 was pretty impressive. Very Happy
Karasu-Lacryma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:20 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Karasu-Lacryma wrote:

As much as I dislike CG most of the time, I'm really excited to see these. I popped my Blu-ray in the other day, and just watching the first few minutes of episode 1 was pretty impressive. Very Happy

The best part is that each fight looks better and better (and with the length of time they take to release these, they should), so the CG in Episode 2 looks even more impressive (as is the fight sequence; the camera work alone is just stunning), and Episode 4's is among the best in the business.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Usagi-kun wrote:
I have to be honest, I don't really like the sakuga thing.

So... you don't like high quality, fluid animation? Isn't that all sakuga really stands for?

I don't think Usagi was putting down the animation itself. I think he's just saying that the whole concept of "sakuga", i.e. purposefully noticing & identifying those moments, is just not for him. He even stated later in his post that he still appreciates what sakuga fans are able to point out as great examples. It's just not a way of experiencing anime for him. I can understand that, personally. While I do notice the moments that sakuga fans can go crazy over, I'll admit that I enjoy them as they happen. Now, to be fair, I do have personal favorite scenes that I can recall immediately from a sakuga standpoint, but I haven't gone to the extent of identifying who exactly did each one & saving them as short gifs/mp4s/etc., like many sakuga fans do.

Sakuga is something that I think every can & will appreciate, but only a small portion will really go crazy over. But, hey, those people who go crazy for it can always be relied upon for sharing those moments with others in general, which I always appreciate.

(Well, almost always, at least. There are some scenes that I really enjoy that I haven't seen shared, but that's mainly down to me watching some stuff that most people in general don't, let alone sakuga fans.)
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:12 am Reply with quote
I love anime...but I think I now HATE animation. I watch One Piece, Jojo, and several seasonal anime but I never see any animation differences. The shows shown here don't seem especially amazing or anything. I of course can see how impressive Fate/Stay Night is, but I'm pretty sure if I actually looked for similar animation quality in any other studio I would never watch anime again. I prefer that an anime focuses on character designs and its story, the detail of the animation is completely wasted on me apparently.
Music and story sets the tone a lot better than amazing animation anyway.
WingKing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:57 am Reply with quote
Euphonium, UBW, and OPM have all had some beautiful stuff - most of the scenes I would've mentioned from those shows were covered in the article or by other posters.

A few other animations I really liked from this year:

The sinking of spoiler[Kisaragi], from episode 3 of KanColle.

Takeo jumping out of the burning building, from Ore Monogatari episode 4 (approx. 19:00-19:45)

Koufuku Graffiti had my favorite ED animation of the year. The OP was pretty cool too, I just preferred the ending, which had some really appealing elements to it, especially the flow and bounce of the girls' hair, and the whole falling sequence from about :53-1:10.

Wish Upon the Pleiades had some beautiful background art but not a lot of noteworthy animation. One exception was the Journey to Saturn in episode 5 (from approx. 11:40-13:00), which I went back to re-watch a few times - it's a mix of hand-drawn and CG that actually goes together well for a change.

A couple of animation scenes I liked from Food Wars that weren't foodgasms: the scene in episode 12 after Megumi's battle with Shinomiya, where she thanks Souma for his help and then he punches the wall after she leaves (approx. 21:00 to 21:40). Also, Nao's transformation after she tastes Arato's curry in episode 21.

Last edited by WingKing on Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:58 am; edited 1 time in total
omiya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:58 am Reply with quote
Thanks for an article that doesn't artificially limit itself to a hard number of top items or only anime that was released/streamed in the USA.

When in Tokyo I try to watch some anime late at night on TokyoMX (and have seen some Precure that way) and get to the cinema a few times (mainly anime), even though my main purpose for visiting is music of anime (live shows and buying CD's and videos).

To restrict lists to what is available would be creating a taboo where none is called for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5