• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Outlaw Star

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:32 am Reply with quote
Outlaw Star is one of the few shows I would actually want to own. That's saying a lot.
Desa

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:22 am Reply with quote
What a coincidence, I was just talking about the Outlaw Star EDs in a recent Answerman article.

It is definitely one of my favorite series. I even have the three original volumes of the Outlaw Star manga (which have been out-of-print for a while so they may become hard to find in the future).

The manga and the anime are very different in some respects but I like both of them equally. The anime has a more complete story, while the manga, being only three volumes, is very much open-ended. Some characters are also very different in the manga. Melfina is much more human and has a more fleshed-out character, while Suzuka is not as serious as she is in the anime. (She even has a thing for Jim which is hilarious.) Hilda is a completely different person in the manga. If like me you liked Hilda in the anime, you might be surprised to learn that she is not so nice in the manga.

There's even a mysterious Dark Melfina who is not in the anime at all, but she does appear in a certain doujin by Nakayohi Mogudan, which I almost consider canon since it's pretty much how I'd imagine Gene would handle two Melfinas. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And as others have said, the Blu-ray is indeed excellent. A true and proper HD remaster from the original 35mm film source and not some shameful upscale. I just hope a North American release (if there ever is one) will do the encoding justice.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I always thought there were (probably superficial) references to Nadia in Melfina --- in the OP she is shown in her navigation station surrounded by a blue glow, which is very similar to a cut in the Nadia OP. I'd shrug this off as coincidence, but then, in one episode they are shopping, and you get a glimpse of Melfina at a jeweler's stall, holding the Blue Water with a rapt expression on her face. An animator's joke.

Mention of the psychic cactus made me think of the Larry Niven story, too. I'm not sure I ever saw that episode, though --- at the time my access to anime was limited, and I don't think I ever saw all of the series, though perhaps I did --- I can clearly remember what a disappointment Angel Links was.
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Outlaw Star I think many would agree is what one would call a guilty pleasure. And a reboot ala Battlestar Galactica would be interesting and this might make it as a live action. I wish Cartoon Network would rebroadcast uncensored with the missing episode. Very Happy
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
only a week ago bought remastered version new release dvd box set here in the UK for a £5 jan sales bargain. its in my top 5 list and never go out of that list. I'd like a sequel but if not this is great stand alone series. some times they played with animation style but I liked it.

it got me back into anime so really worth a watch for people who haven't watched it
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Outlaw Star's a perfectly fine show. I wound up "semi blind buying" the big ol DVD case for it when I saw it was going out of stock after renting disk 1 and generally liking what I saw. It's 90's anime as hell in a lot of ways and I consider Bebop and Trigun to be a lot better but I don't take that to be a knock against it.

As for Jene being"cool" I thought he was at the very least competent, but ultimately still had a lot of growing to do. The series never made me feel very intensely about anything but it was as fun of a romp as, for me anyways, darker than black, which has a bit more structure and definitely looks better but really you're there for a a good action show more than anything else. Maybe I'll re-watch it in the near future.
HdE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Outlaw Star is good fun, and no mistake.

I do kind of wish somebody would license rescue Angel Links, though. Even though it's reportedly not too great, it'd be great to have access to something else set in that same universe.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I remember Outlaw Star. Good times!

The version on DVD felt more complete with that missing episode put back in.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:21 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Man, remember how CN screwed up a little, and removed the fanservice episode? And then left people wondering where the heck those super-special shell came from?

Figured he just bought them somewhere off screen prior to the final few episodes.

Desa wrote:

If like me you liked Hilda in the anime, you might be surprised to learn that she is not so nice in the manga.

Hilda was a smidge shady even in the anime so it wouldn't surprise me.
Joe anime

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:44 pm Reply with quote
HdE wrote:
Outlaw Star is good fun, and no mistake.

I do kind of wish somebody would license rescue Angel Links, though. Even though it's reportedly not too great, it'd be great to have access to something else set in that same universe.

FUNimation has Angel Links,just a matter of waiting for them to release both animes.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
Great episode. Audio was better than I thought it'd be given the "warning" at the start, but I appreciate the heads up.

I'm probably going to rewatch this soon after listening to this. It has been quite a while since I last watched it and it's good to know it still holds up. Though, I'll now have to try to not think of Peridot while watching...
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:07 am Reply with quote
Outlaw Star was one of those series that ran on Toonami that I never watched (Gundam Wing being another). It's nice to get a retrospective on it though it would be interesting to see a take on if not the entire Tenchi franchise, at least,

a few standout series or episodes in a future episode just a thought as other than Dragon Ball that's the only series that I still have fond memories of.
voltwaffle

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Outlaw Star is, without a doubt, my favorite anime of all time. If you have never seen it, I can describe it perfectly with a quote from a 1999 issue of Gamefan magazine: Another space adventure like Cowboy Bebop but it doesn't ooze the funk and personality that something like Bebop does." Yeah, that about sums it up.

Anyways, if you're thinking of picking the show up again, I implore you to either wait for the BDs or find the fansub that was made with the blu-ray raws. I bring proof to persuade you as well.

http://imgur.com/a/2Jm50

The top images are taken from the 2004 Japanese DVD remaster and the bottom image is taken from a fansub that uses the 2014 blu-ray transfer. I have never seen an anime transfer look this good and if Funimation can just release it as is and not mess it with it, they will make some serious bank.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see this show getting some more attention and new releases!

I was introduced to it during Anime Expo 1999. After watching the first two episodes I was hooked. I immediately went to Planet Anime's booth and plunked down the rather substantial amount of cash to buy the entire series on laserdisc, which I still have and watch to this day.

I think that Outlaw Star seems to be largely ignored by some fans in the shadow of Cowboy Bebop, but I think Outlaw Star is the much better program. I'll concede that Bebop had higher animation quality (especially compared to a couple of the latter episodes of Outlaw Star), but I think that Outlaw Star has much better action. It also had a great combination of fun space adventure with some very dramatic and serious elements as well. I don't think it's particularly original, but it is very well done. And that's a good thing!

(by the way, no offense meant to Bebop fans; I'm just stating my personal opinion)
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
I think that Outlaw Star seems to be largely ignored by some fans in the shadow of Cowboy Bebop, but I think Outlaw Star is the much better program. I'll concede that Bebop had higher animation quality (especially compared to a couple of the latter episodes of Outlaw Star), but I think that Outlaw Star has much better action. It also had a great combination of fun space adventure with some very dramatic and serious elements as well. I don't think it's particularly original, but it is very well done. And that's a good thing!

(by the way, no offense meant to Bebop fans; I'm just stating my personal opinion)

I remember when I was renting the disks at Blockbuster, one anime-fan employee hadn't seen it yet, and asked me whether it was as good as Bebop.
Better, I said, as it had a similar plot concept, but more fun action and "wasn't as gratuitously depressing". Very Happy

Basically, the only reason they're compared today is not so much the "Space bounty" plot, which is pretty common, but because there....weren't too many other series around on mainstream DVD back in those long-ago '99-'00 days, and one space-bounty hero could easily get confused with another.
In other times, we'd be asking "Is it similar to Space Dandy?" (No.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3