• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Disney XD's Doraemon Adaptation to Run in Japan With Bilingual Tracks

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
This is blowing my mind. Its kind of...unnecessary? I can understand airing the English dub, but redubbing it from the English?

Like Disney's Ghibli dubs (and "why didn't they just use the Macek version?"), could be a question of ownership rights, as audio soundtracks have owners too:
If they simply air the native Japanese show, TV Asahi demands a cut--But if Disney dubs the English version they're licensed to air on their channel, into Japanese for airing on DCJ, it's simply a matter of licensing one of "their" shows for another country to air, it's no different from dubbing Mickey Mouse Clubhouse into Japanese, and there's no argument over extra royalties or unlicensed versions.

There's usually a boring simple explanation if you look past knee-jerk "It's all 4Kids, everything's their fault!" dub-hatred.
AshFangirlLisa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:59 am Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
TV Asahi must be really proud of the English dub of Doraemon. Not only is it airing on Disney Channel Japan, but they also commissioned a re-recorded Japanese dub of the English dub. Not fully sure what to think of it, but it's funny that this re-recorded dub is going to have the character name changes from the English dub.

As a huge fan of Doraemon, I have to say, this is amazing. Very Happy
I love the English dub of Doraemon. And I'm so happy they decided to bring it to Japan.

On my Twitter feed, I saw a commercial for the Japanese dub of Doraemon, and they are keeping the English writing on gadgets, objects, test papers, and signs. This sounds really cool!! Anime smile

I find it fascinating how Japan is interested in American culture. And I think Japanese fans will be very excited to see the American version of Doraemon.

It's so cool how they dubbed the English dub into Japanese. And this makes me very curious. With the Japanese dub, will the script and dialogue be the same as the English dub? It sounds like they're making a Japanese dub that is based on the English dub. So I hope they're keeping the English dialogue the same and simply translating it to Japanese.

Also, I wonder if Japanese people will try watching the English dub. Do you think some people might do that? After all, this is the American version of Doraemon, so it would be awesome if they actually watch this version in English.
I'm curious how Japanese people will react to the English voices and dialogue in the English dub.
Of course, this is Japan. So I know most people will be watching the Japanese dub (and that's great too). But if they DO watch the English dub, I hope they will enjoy it and find it funny.

Last edited by AshFangirlLisa on Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:17 am Reply with quote
@ EricJ2

That makes much sense. I can't blame them in this case. Everyone wants to save a buck or two, and a good opportunity presents itself.
AshFangirlLisa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:02 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Haterater wrote:
This is blowing my mind. Its kind of...unnecessary? I can understand airing the English dub, but redubbing it from the English?

Like Disney's Ghibli dubs (and "why didn't they just use the Macek version?"), could be a question of ownership rights, as audio soundtracks have owners too:
If they simply air the native Japanese show, TV Asahi demands a cut--But if Disney dubs the English version they're licensed to air on their channel, into Japanese for airing on DCJ, it's simply a matter of licensing one of "their" shows for another country to air, it's no different from dubbing Mickey Mouse Clubhouse into Japanese, and there's no argument over extra royalties or unlicensed versions.

There's usually a boring simple explanation if you look past knee-jerk "It's all 4Kids, everything's their fault!" dub-hatred.

Yeah, the rights ownership thing with the English dub of Doraemon is very confusing.
I mean, TV Asahi is supposed to have a partnership with Disney (the US Disney). But for some reason, Disney X D hasn't been promoting Doraemon very much. In fact, they haven't aired Doraemon reruns at all since September. And this worries me, cause I really hope we'll get a 3rd season.

Although, they ARE airing the English dub on Disney Channel Japan, so that's a good sign. And I think this means that, the Japanese companies (TV Asahi and Disney Japan) truly love and support the English dub of Doraemon. That's wonderful news!!

And of course, we still don't know how Disney X D feels about the show. But I hope US Disney and Disney X D still like Doraemon.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:13 am Reply with quote
AshFangirlLisa wrote:
Also, I wonder if Japanese people will try watching the English dub. Do you think some people might do that? After all, this is the American version of Doraemon, so it would be awesome if they actually watch this version in English.

English dubbed shows aired there do have Japanese subtitles so they'll at least be getting the basic gist of how the show was altered for U.S. audiences.
AshFangirlLisa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
Ah, I see. They have Japanese subtitles on the English dubs. That's good to know.

Shar Aznabull wrote:
Wonder how long it'll take to get fansubbed... Laughing

Anyways, the Doraemon dub more than makes up for any censorship by being absolutely hilarious and well cast, and now I guess if it ever gets a DVD release (please Disney) it can even appease those who wouldn't buy without a Japanese track Laughing

Haha, that would be awesome if someone fansubbed this new Japanese version. Laughing
And yes, I completely agree. The Doraemon dub is hilarious! And the voice acting is great! That's why it's my favorite anime. Anime smile
epicwizard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
I guess if Disney wanted to release the show on DVD over here, they would have no trouble making it bilingual...

Shar Aznabull wrote:
Anyways, the Doraemon dub more than makes up for any censorship by being absolutely hilarious and well cast, and now I guess if it ever gets a DVD release (please Disney) it can even appease those who wouldn't buy without a Japanese track

Guys, if Doraemon were to get a DVD release here in the US, Disney wouldn't be the one that would release it. They just have the broadcasting rights to the series, not also the home media rights. The company that would most likely release it on DVD is Viz Media since they have the distribution rights to the series. It makes sense they would also acquire the home media rights since, well, home media is a part of distributing.

Nonetheless, I do agree that the US DVD releases could possibly be bilingual now instead of dub only. I was actually thinking about bilingual DVD releases of the series earlier this morning!

AshFangirlLisa wrote:
And this makes me very curious. With the Japanese dub, will the script and dialogue be the same as the English dub? It sounds like they're making a Japanese dub that is based on the English dub. So I hope they're keeping the English dialogue the same and simply translating it to Japanese.

I'm also pretty curious about whether or not the script and dialogue will be the same as the English dub. However, it's possible that the re-recorded Japanese dub will keep most of it with some slight alterations for lip-syncing purposes.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
So Disney, in order to air it in Japan, might have had to pay for the Japanese redub. But that doesn't explain why they want to air it in Japan in the first place. I mean, it's not THAT different... maybe they think Japanese parents will try and get their kids to watch it because it'll help them learn english?

That wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. I've seen translated DuckTales comics with the original English dialogue at the bottom of each panel and English lessons between stories, with the incentive to parents that it'll help kids learn English.

AshFangirlLisa wrote:
It's so cool how they dubbed the English dub into Japanese. And this makes me very curious. With the Japanese dub, will the script and dialogue be the same as the English dub? It sounds like they're making a Japanese dub that is based on the English dub. So I hope they're keeping the English dialogue the same and simply translating it to Japanese.

That'll be impossible, as translation is inexact. Words, phrases, and sentences rarely align one-to-one from one language to another, so things always have to be changed to some degree. Even more so with a comedy like Doraemon, as comedy relies on wordplay and on cultural references.

They could try to keep the non-humorous dialogue as close to the English dub as possible though, as well as keep all of the references to American culture. I don't know how well that'll fly though. The Engish dub of Super Milk Chan kept all of the Japanese culture references and it bombed.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
This is probably to help Japanese kids learn English and help familiarize them with differences in American culture. Plus it's probably easy for Disney Japan to show. I do wish Disney gave Doraemon a bigger push, but at least they got a second season. Maybe it can find new life through Netflix or something.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Maybe it can find new life through Netflix or something.

Which is possible, as Disney has ties to Netflix, and frequently shows many of its Junior shows on the service.
But, as with the "soundtrack" and "DVD" arguments, that also brings up whether Disney actually has streaming rights outside of X-D's own website/apps.
Or, sadly, whether they even still have the series in the US. Sad (Did those in-production S2 episodes air, btw? I don't get the channel.)
AshFangirlLisa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Or, sadly, whether they even still have the series in the US. Sad (Did those in-production S2 episodes air, btw? I don't get the channel.)

Yep, they aired those episodes. Disney X D aired season 2 from June 15th to September 1st. And they aired all 26 episodes. Season 2 was awesome! I loved it! Anime smile

As for Netflix, I hope they don't bring Doraemon to Netflix. My family doesn't have a subscription to Netflix. We just have cable.
However, maybe they could air new episodes on Disney X D, while also having the old ones on Netflix. That would please everyone. Very Happy

Personally, I want Doraemon to stay on cable, preferably on Disney X D. But if Disney X D doesn't want the show anymore, maybe another network will be interested in buying it.

Of course, that would be REALLY weird if Disney US doesn't want the show anymore, considering how Disney Japan absolutely loves Doraemon. I mean, you can tell that Disney Japan really cares about this show, since they're airing the English dub now.
Anyway, I'm hoping that Doraemon is just on hiatus, and that the show will return this summer with a new season (since Disney X D always airs new episodes during the summer).

Last edited by AshFangirlLisa on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:22 am Reply with quote
Who knows? Maybe the Disney Anime hyper executives are a bit apprehensive about airing another anime series after Naruto Shippuden wound up being way darker and more violent than they expected. (Heck, their own animation sometimes winds up that way too, like with Gravity Falls.)
AshFangirlLisa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Who knows? Maybe the Disney Anime hyper executives are a bit apprehensive about airing another anime series after Naruto Shippuden wound up being way darker and more violent than they expected. (Heck, their own animation sometimes winds up that way too, like with Gravity Falls.)

That's interesting. I don't know anything about Naruto Shippuden, since I never got into Naruto. But yeah, you're right. Disney X D might be feeling unsure about airing more anime series on their channel.

However, I've been watching this new anime on Disney X D. It's called Yokai Watch, and it seems to be doing really well. Disney X D is giving Yokai Watch lots of time slots on their schedule. They have new episodes on Monday's, reruns throughout the week, and they sometimes have marathons too.

I wish Disney X D would try to give Doraemon the same amount of attention that Yokai Watch is getting. I mean, Doraemon is a VERY under appreciated anime, and it deserves better treatment and better promotion in the US. So I really hope Doraemon returns to Disney X D's schedule soon.

I miss seeing my favorite robot cat from the future. Crying or Very sad
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
AshFangirlLisa wrote:
However, I've been watching this new anime on Disney X D. It's called Yokai Watch, and it seems to be doing really well. Disney X D is giving Yokai Watch lots of time slots on their schedule. They have new episodes on Monday's, reruns throughout the week, and they sometimes have marathons too.

I wish Disney X D would treat Doraemon the same way they treat Yokai Watch. Doraemon is a VERY under appreciated anime, and it deserves more promotion in the US. So I hope Doraemon returns to Disney X D's schedule soon.

Yokai Watch was given a big, big, BIG push by its Japanese distributors that it would be as much of an unstoppable smash marketing phenomenon with US kids as with Japanese kids, and that was all Disney needed to buy it.

Doubtless the "beloved children's staple" story is what Doraemon's distributors also told Disney with the Olympics coming up, and didn't quite pan out in the marketing (did they market it?), so as far as Disney's short-range strategies are concerned, it may have outlived its usefulness in the US now that the "new" marketing-crossover hit has arrived.
I'd like to say that Disney will give anime series a chance, but the tragic ghosts of "Americans will flock to Studio Ghibli after Princess Mononoke!" haunt every bit of optimism we could have about Disney's marketing strategies of unknown overseas titles in the US. They want quick results, and when they don't get it, their knees jerk more quickly than other studios' and they're not exactly a studio about second chances or getting back up on the horse.

(Just ask the disgruntled Blu-ray 3D fans. Mad )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3