• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation's Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood License to Expire in March

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:41 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
And good riddance. They're so paranoid of losing otaku sales that they'll abandon the American market? They deserve the slow, painful fall that will be coming to them as their sales atrophy anyway.

You're kidding, right? 1st off, the otaku sales are far, far, FAR more important then the American market ever was. 2nd, Aniples is doing better then ever, their sales keep increasing.

whiskeyii wrote:
I'm frankly surprised that Funi seems to be letting go of this one without a fight.

And what exactly could Funimation have done? FMAB BELONGS to Aniplex.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:53 am Reply with quote
I mean the writing has been on the wall for the last week or two, still sucks that this had to happen.

I already disliked Aniplex and this move doesn't help my opinion of them at all, I don't even like FMA that much but this is still such a jerk move. I know it's their product and it's just licensed out but Funi has done so much for them, laying the groundwork to even make it possible for Aniplex to enter the NA scene with their own company and they basically just slapped Funi in the face after all they'd done for them.

I get the logic and legality of this whole thing, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:18 am Reply with quote
With all the recent news on companies who've released Aniplex titles this was expected to happen eventually and is a shame. Have Part 2 Bluray so I'll just need to get Part 1 and the movie.

Kougeru wrote:
And as pointed out, the people to blame ARE the people that supported Aniplex's insane prices. This is what happens when you support greed. Of course, most of these same fans probably don't care because they're more wealthy (or their parents are) than most people.

I don't like having to pay Aniplex prices anymore then the next person but I take high offense to a comment like this. As a massive anime collector and someone who prefers dubs and refuses to watch an anime unless I own it on disc it is not my fault that some shows I'm interested in watching are licensed by AoA and cost a mint. Have you seen what out of print AoA bluray sets go for? Waiting for AoA to go "bankrupt" so those titles can be transferred to other companies and be sold at a cheaper price is never going to happen. I live on my own and am not rich in the slightest. After bills, rent etc... I have about $300 for the month to spend on whatever, 1 AoA LE pretty much takes half of that.

To sum this up, no I dont like AoA's prices but it's been long known how they work but I refuse to apologize for supporting the NA anime market by buying anime titles I love which are the only way to legally own them in NA, and many times the only way to get the dub and which I will be able to watch years later when streaming sites no longer have them.
Vee-Tee

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:21 am Reply with quote
I've only got a handful of FMA on DVD, but... eh, I doubt Aniplex will remove the show from streaming. They know a streaming presence is what's needed to be successful in multiple territories... at least I hope, wasn't that Kara no Kyoukai DVD box set nearly $800? Shocked
Eisenmann V

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:30 am Reply with quote
It's times like this that I'm glad I went and dropped the cash on every FMA-related release from movies to OVA collections last year.
Kalessin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:48 am Reply with quote
Well, this is certainly a disappointing trend. I'm actually fine with Aniplex choosing to release a series themselves, since they release high quality stuff (much as I'd prefer lower prices). My main complaint there is that they don't necessarily keep stuff in print, whereas companies like Funimation or Sentai generally do. So, you're forced to buy them around the time that they're released, and anyone coming late to the party is out of luck, which just plain sucks. But what Aniplex USA does release is generally of a very highly quality, which is great.

However, for Aniplex to choose to not renew existing licenses and/or to not license shows in the first place and yet still not release them in the US themselves is another thing entirely. It means that those shows become unavailable, and some of them never end up being available in the first place. And that totally sucks.

And for this to happen to a series like FMA: Brotherhood is particularly bad. Funimation has done a great job with the FMA series, and they should continue to be available for future anime fans (and likely still sell well enough to justify keeping them in print). With a series like this, Aniplex might choose to re-release it later, but they've already clearly shown that they're not all that concerned with keeping the series that they do release in print. So, at best, at some point in the future, anime fans will have a second shot at getting this series - and for a higher price - only for it to then go out of print again.

But all that being said, I wish that folks would stop ranting at the folks who bought Aniplex releases over this. Given how Aniplex USA has almost exclusively only been releasing new stuff and how they don't do a very good job of keeping any of it in print, it's highly questionable that they're not letting these licenses get renewed just so that they can release them themselves. And that being the case, it's questionable that what Aniplex USA has been doing with its releases has much of anything to do with what's happening to old licenses. And since they're old licenses, they likely don't even have much of an impact on reverse importation. Not licensing new stuff might make sense given their fears of reverse importation, but refusing to let old stuff continue to be released? How does that make sense? All around, what Aniplex is up to with not renewing these licenses is just plain weird.
Fourteenthangel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:59 am Reply with quote
Well, good thing I own all of FMA:B on Blu-Ray so I am not too worried myself. However I am not particularly thrilled with Aniplex getting the releases. There releases are more so for collectors than the average consumer. Yeah, they are nice releases and they come with stuff but ultimately I just want the show in question and not all the extra stuff that comes with it. Aniplex doesn't give you an option though.

You also have to get them right away or you are shit out of luck. Sigh.
TamenishDragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:00 am Reply with quote
Better start buying those last few Fullmetal DVDs to complete my collection... I see prices skyrocketing in the near future. Sad
Yadilie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:06 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
And as pointed out, the people to blame ARE the people that supported Aniplex's insane prices. This is what happens when you support greed. Of course, most of these same fans probably don't care because they're more wealthy (or their parents are) than most people.

They dont want other people making money on theirs IPs now. Period. Deal with it.

Last edited by Yadilie on Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:07 am Reply with quote
With con season getting into gear soon, the Q&As at Aniplex USA's industry sessions could get testier than usual. Maybe the Aniplex Guy is lucky to get out when he did.

(Also, has Aniplex USA just dropped their livestreams? That used to be a common thing with them, especially outside of con season)
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:18 am Reply with quote
You can't blame people for supporting Aniplex of America. There are a lot of people who's favourite shows are distributed by them. And there will always be enough stupid fans to support crazy prices. In Japan, there are shows like One Piece, Naruto, Detective Conan, Fairy Tail etc. which are hundreds of episodes long that only release 4 (sometimes 3 or 5) episodes per set for like $80USD, and although don't sell well, they make enough money to continue to make them.

The fact of the matter is, as long as Aniplex of America has shows people love or want to watch, there will always be people who will buy their releases. It's actually a very smart business model, but highly insulting and taking advantage of fans.
SamuraiNinjaDragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:39 am Reply with quote
Good thing I already own all the DVDs of FMA, FMA: Brotherhood, and both movies. :/
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:45 am Reply with quote
What I see as the biggest problem is that Japan only sees streaming as a way to keep physical releases priced high- I would have imagined that the demand for next day worldwide online distribution would have given them some ideas for making money. But what they have learned is that they use overseas streaming to placate fans who are used to different price structures.

What does this mean for Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood? What kind of physical release would it get by AoA? I have no doubt that it will get a fast online rebound but I couldn't imagine the BD set getting split in less than three parts and more likely 6 and that's only if they even bother to release it at all in the upcoming years.

Why? Their product, their rules of success. It's not a matter of their ball so if you don't like it, they'll leave, I think it's more like everyone wants to play baseball but they're playing football and if you don't like it, you can leave. Oh, it's pay to play by the way but you're always free to watch.

In short, this sucks.
merr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:25 am Reply with quote
Ten to one this is about streaming rights. There's no way Aniplex is worried about reverse importation for a show this old. The damage is done. It sucks for consumers either way, though.
Chii85

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:30 am Reply with quote
Why did had the rights limited?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 14