• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Are AMVs And Other Fan Works Really "Fair Use?"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikari22

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
My opinion is, that as long as you don't profit from the AMV (for example like all those "reaction video" uploaders in Youtube that include the full original clips embedded on their videos), and always credit your sources, you should be allowed to make/upload them.

I think it gives both music artists and series/movies a lot more exposure.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't the second part of that test at the end really be "and nobody's making or losing money from its existence" to catch those lost sales issues?

SaitoHajime101 wrote:
Its a blanket license, not a per song license. [...] I'm sure radio stations have something similar worked out. Can you imagine the amount of money spent if they had to pay every record company $5,000?

It looks like that is an option from ASCAP's radio station license page, but I doubt most of the large/commercial stations utilize it. The easy way to tell is pay attention when a clip of something plays. Generally, they will cut-off at 9-10 seconds, which means they are probably counting specific content and trying to fall under fair use.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:31 am Reply with quote
Well as long as no one except the original rights owner profits from AMV's it's fine with me besides I prefer AMV's with older music like AC DC or Def Leppard. Very Happy
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
Also an AMV creator too. I love my hobby so much that I actually import Japanese DVDs of the show JUST to make AMVs.... the sole reason I buy the anime after watching it off CR is to make AMVs....I....I think I'm addicted to AMVs...

I agree songs are more of the reasons why AMVs get taken down...though there has been some for footage too...
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:48 am Reply with quote
On the other hand, take from western animation, and if it isn't Adventure Time, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Littlest Pet Shop 2012, Steven Universe, or Gravity Falls, you can bet you're going to see some legal retaliation. While it's not as harsh as it used to be, fanmade content relating to The Simpsons is still rare because Fox's lawyers are still very active in taking these things down.

From what I hear, until recently, Peanuts fanworks were constantly under fire too, though worse because the Schulz family lawyers would go after people making parodies too.

Greed1914 wrote:
That bit about conventions having to pay into ASCAP is interesting. I'd be curious to know at what point that becomes cost prohibitive. I would guess that the cost varies depending on the size of the convention, so smaller conventions wouldn't necessarily be priced out, but if the AMV contest isn't well-attended, it might not be worth doing at all.

I can say that the AMV contests at Anime Expo area big deal. Sometimes, they're held in a massive concert-like theater, with hundreds of people watching. I'd guess that the legal fees are a big reason why it's a paid event.

As can be seen in the thumbnail for this article, Anime Expo can actually pull off multiple AMV events. I've even spotted some related to specific franchises.

Meygaera wrote:
Holy crap, so a convention like Otakon would have to pay about $5,000 per song? The document specifies a convention as an event lasting less than 14 days, so if it is only 3 days could they negotiate a discount?

Or what about the fact that the AMV rooms can only hold a certain amount of people, like a few hundred. Would that maximum room capacity number be used for the price instead?

Looking at the document, it's per event, not per song. And when they mean an event, they mean an entire convention or expo. Otakon would only have to pay once, and it'll be the same amount regardless of if there's one 10-minute AMV show or if there are multiple rooms playing AMVs 24/7 for the convention's entire duration.

It's also interesting to see that form for me, because Anime Expo's attendance is due to break 100,000, and that means the ASCAP fee will increase.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:23 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Watching some AMVs was how I found out about Linkin Park some years earlier.

^

I remember when I first found Youtube in 2004, my first few videos were DB AMVs. Good times. Back before Linken Park was overused to my ears. I guess you could say that I'VE BECOME SO NUMB to their singing that IN THE END~ I can't even enjoy it.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:19 am Reply with quote
AMV's are what kept me into anime from 2000 to today. Made my first vid in 2003 (got bumped for using the p word). And just last year my vid won Best Comedy at Otakon. Never once ran into copyright issues, except maybe that one part where I had to change that Youtube logo into Mytube. And one vid I used 10 different Linkin Park songs.

Honestly, I'm a little burnt out this year.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:52 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Without AMVs, Linkin Park would be forgotten. Can't be sure how I feel about that.

Don't forget Disturbed and Evanescence

PMDR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:23 am Reply with quote
Having worked in the back office / admin side of "a major anime con" for 15 years, I can tell you the fee is per event. It wasn't a huge amount, all things considered. But once they realize your event exists, they DO send around investigators to see if any fees are due and it's better to have paid for the license than risk a much larger fine or lawsuit.

What was shown in the AMV track was one thing but what really scared us a lot were people playing MP3s and boomboxes in public parts of the event facility. The con had no control over that and had no desire to look like thugs hunting down illegal music performances. So we had to make sure all of that use was covered by the electronic reproduction license.

It was just a cost of doing business along with the insane liability insurance we had to buy.

As for the question about how foreign music is handled, the major domestic record labels around the world pretty much all associate with ASCAP or BMI or one of the handful of other international rights agencies. The result is that "most" music is covered by the license. At least in theory.

By the way, virtually none of the license fee for this sort of thing gets back to the artist in any way. Most song rights are owned by record labels and they'll keep any money that trickles down. Licenses for anime cons are a very small amount of revenue in any case.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:27 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the very informative post, PMDR.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
This is FUNimation's current statement:
Quote:
May I upload a video, such as an anime music video, using FUNimation anime?

We cannot expressly authorize you to upload video or use FUNimation's content. We can tell you, however, that we do not plan to take legal action against creators/distributors of anime-based media that qualifies as a fair use of the underlying animation. Nor do we tend to remove such media intentionally, provided that the video is clearly marked in a way that would identify it as a fair use [in the title] such as a satire, parody, review or critique. For more on fair use, please see this Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Also, please bear in mind that video streaming services such as YouTube occasionally employ "video fingerprinting" technology to identify and remove videos containing ANY unauthorized footage, whether it's arguably a fair use or not.

In summary, while we cannot expressly authorize you to upload such media, we will not actively seek to remove any that you do decide to upload, provided that it is [and is readily identifiable as] a fair use of the media, such as a satire, parody, AMV, critique or review.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Corporate greed has all but destroyed Fair Use and the rights of the consumer. Music production companies are especially perniciously greedy and uniformly terrible, run by some of the worst human beings on the planet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
PMDR wrote:
What was shown in the AMV track was one thing but what really scared us a lot were people playing MP3s and boomboxes in public parts of the event facility. The con had no control over that and had no desire to look like thugs hunting down illegal music performances. So we had to make sure all of that use was covered by the electronic reproduction license.

Sounds like the most effort-free way to shut down a business you don't like.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
It looks like that is an option from ASCAP's radio station license page, but I doubt most of the large/commercial stations utilize it. The easy way to tell is pay attention when a clip of something plays. Generally, they will cut-off at 9-10 seconds, which means they are probably counting specific content and trying to fall under fair use.
Internet radio stations have to pay, but broadcast radio stations are legally protected from having to pay a single dime for anything they play due to a quirk of the first sale doctrine. RIAA and Pandora tried to get Congress to "fix" that loophole, but it turns out that radio stations are allowed to run ads asking their listeners to call their congressmen. It's rather hard to beat the lobby with nearly 300 million people to bring to bear.
americananimotk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
It's not the anime producers you have to worry about when it comes to making AMVs and posting them on Youtube. For them, it's not worth the time, money, and effort to go after you for a single online video. It's the MUSIC companies you have to watch out for. You are not revealing too much of the anime when making AMVs since they are mostly clips of the show cut down to match the music in a span of 3 to 4 minutes. When it comes to music playing however, you are still using the entire song in your video so music companies can and will go after you.

Take it from someone who knows about copyright when it comes to Youtube. I received two copyright strikes from Universal Music Group over my AMVs. Every single one of them were upheld.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3