• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Digimon Adventure tri. Episodes 5-8 Streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting for this day!

Jacob Hope Chapman wrote:
If the first movie made it clear that Digimon Tri has set its sights on nostalgic children-at-heart instead of trying to loop in a fresh batch of literal kids, movie #2 cements that impression by kicking off with a shameless blast of fanservice. Not fanservice as in cute callbacks or references to Digimon days gone by. Nope. Fanservice as in flesh.

It is most interesting to see how you place these adult elements in a broader and more illuminating thematic context here, especially when compared to your epic live-tweet session at the time. (You should do so more often if the occasion suits you—it was utter hilarity!) It seems, touchingly or otherwise, that Digimon has an awareness of its older fans' own development that its rivalling franchise either doesn't wish, or perhaps doesn't need, to acknowledge.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Do do I need to have seen Digimon Adventure in order to understand this show?
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Paul D. Atreides wrote:

Pretty much, yeah.
raytamer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

That's a bit understandable considering if someone's only seen the dub they wouldn't know that because it was censored.

I didn't know it was censored in the US dub. I watched it dubbed in my mother tongue, Brazilian Portuguese, and they didn't censor anything afaik. Razz

Paul D. Atreides wrote:

I'd say you don't need to, but it's a show that appeals mainly to the fans of the original series, so I don't know how enjoyable it'd be for you without it.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:51 pm Reply with quote
No, there fan service. I'm looking at you Rosemon!

I enjoyed this more than the first part but I found Joe's resolution to be forced and everything tied up unnaturally.

Then they ended with not one, not two, but THREE ciffhangers! The September release date makes it all the more painful.

I won't lie, I'm glad I beat Cyber Sleuth before watching this because it gives me an idea to where it's going.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
In terms of consistency, no where else does it say that they should able to Ultimate Evolve, not in the original anime, PSP game or CSA Digivice.

It will obviously be explained in the next films since Izzy started hypothesizing that the message about going through the darkness may be a prophecy about Ultimate evolution. That there is the mention. This movie was more about Mimi and Jou and both people faced personal problems and overcame them - overcoming their own darkness and so they were able to digivolve their Digimon further/

The final battle could have been better animated and more intense and the animation was so clearly Toei - as in sloppy at certain frames that's clearly noticeable. It's nice that Rosemon at least had a sizeable chest and jiggle though.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Re:SOUL wrote:
It's nice that Rosemon at least had a sizeable chest and jiggle though.

I admit that, to my surprise, the mild fanservice throughout didn't bother me, with the exception of Rosemon. Her ever expanding bosom wasn't a problem for me, but that jiggle was just weird. Her whole body is still, except for her breasts, and they they just sort of flop unappealingly rather than bounce enticingly. I mean, I get that the budget was really straining itself at that point, but if you can't manage a GOOD boob jiggle, why have one at all? Yikes, that gave me KonoSuba vibes.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:19 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
Knowing this is original-verse takes some of the edge offspoiler[ of Leomon's inevitable death. He'll just go back to being an egg again]. Again. I'm never sure where the "NO!" ends and the "NOT AGAIN!" begins with that guy.

spoiler[While it's possible his data can somehow make its way to the digital world again to be reborn, it's likely his "spirit" is stuck in the real world now. The show never explicitly stated it, but thanks to season '02, we all know Wizardmon was stuck in the real world as of his defeat, as was Vamdemon/Myostismon. Not one example, but two pretty much solidify that yes, Digimon that "die" in the real world stay in the real world as lingering data in some ghostly form or another.]

Personally, I found the first episode to do a few things, but the most telling was how Mimi barged into the men's bath to distract all the boys and allow the other girls to slip past. She doesn't even hesitate, where most girls in Japan would probably never do that in the first place, no matter how desperate. It's so bold that it strikes the audience with surprise and leads pretty well into what happens afterward with her character.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:07 pm Reply with quote
One more problem I have with Rosemon, she is both Lalamon and Palmon's final forms. Sure, Data Squad was a while back but I wish they used something else for variety's sake. Something I needed to get off my chest (god dammit).
digiboy123

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
I didn't like the festival part. Boring, cliche slice of life crap, didn't feel like Digimon. Everything else was alright. Evolutions were boss, like Digimon always does.
Fatt_One

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:42 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
One more problem I have with Rosemon, she is both Lalamon and Palmon's final forms. Sure, Data Squad was a while back but I wish they used something else for variety's sake. Something I needed to get off my chest (god dammit).

Honestly I think Lalamon should of used Lotosmon, while Palmon keeps Rosemon(her intended Mega/Ultimate).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
digiboy123 wrote:
I didn't like the festival part. Boring, cliche slice of life crap, didn't feel like Digimon. Everything else was alright. Evolutions were boss, like Digimon always does.

Except those were an integral part of the plot in the original Adventures. Some people just can't help but rag on this as if the whole series was all about just them in Digiworld. Rolling Eyes [/b]
Dejivice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
While animation is not so good (and the art sometimes too) I'm surprised of how much I'm loving Tri. I was so ready to be disappointed, and it going so well!

I do think some important things happened between the end of 02 and the beginning of Tri. We know the gate to the Digital World has been closed, but why? Since peace was restored by the end of 02, why would the gate close?

I'm thinking somewhere between 02 and Tri, Daisuke, Miyako, Iori and Ken went to the Digital World and the gate closed, making them stuck in it. This might be the reason why these characters are not mentioned by the other kids. They know they are not in the real world, so they don't "need" to mention them when they go to reunions or fights.

Just a theory.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Dejivice wrote:
While animation is not so good (and the art sometimes too) I'm surprised of how much I'm loving Tri. I was so ready to be disappointed, and it going so well!

I do think some important things happened between the end of 02 and the beginning of Tri. We know the gate to the Digital World has been closed, but why? Since peace was restored by the end of 02, why would the gate close?

I'm thinking somewhere between 02 and Tri, Daisuke, Miyako, Iori and Ken went to the Digital World and the gate closed, making them stuck in it. This might be the reason why these characters are not mentioned by the other kids. They know they are not in the real world, so they don't "need" to mention them when they go to reunions or fights.

Just a theory.

The last drama CD from way back after the second season suggested very heavily that the doors to the digital world and the transition to the point where practically everyone has a partner Digimon didn't happen immediately, but over a long span of time. In 02, not anyone could just go into the digital world.
So the only real mystery is why it had been a while since the kids saw their partners when the end of 02 never said they separated before becoming adults. Something happened between for sure. Or maybe it was a simple "We'll be back when the gates open up again" thing they inserted into the end of 02 (it's plausible).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I will look at this new Izzy the same way considering he shares his voice with Lux from "Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut". I say this because I think the casting director did a crap job (to put it nicely) casting a woman as a harem guy because I feel she doesn't suit his voice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3