• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: KonoSuba – God's blessing on this wonderful world!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Kazuma not being punished for things he shouldn't be punished at is why the show is good. An anime protagonist shouldn't be constantly punished when the situation is put upon him by the fantasy world or his girl companions who constantly put him in a bad situation. So it's only fair the girls get a fair shake of defeat as well.

That sense of balance is why this show was so good in my eyes.

It didn't hold the girls up as infallible beings who are borderline Mary Sues. Kazuma punished them when they rightfully did something wrong.
Black Magi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
GarethXL wrote:
yes kazuma is unlikable because he's mean spirited to his partners who
1) mock him and only grovel and be nice when they need help
2) want a big part of a reward but pushes all the debt onto him
3) trying to burn his stuff
4) who are nothing more then a burden most of the time and causes more trouble for him which he needs to clean up after their mess.

so yeah kazuma is really a bad protag for taking up with the shit he's taking and be mean spirited and snarky to them rather then being apathetic and cuting all ties with his party. :rolleyes:

and a lot of people doesn't seems to get the initial panties joke so i think i'll try to explain a little.

the joke isn't that he purposely steal panties but rather the [steal] skill proc panties when he used it, notice how he didn't steal any of dullahan or mitsurugi panties.

and this is why i'm pissed that they made a 10ep season since,
1) some of the cut off scene from the novel like the ntr, aquapar time job and wiz scene are important on flashing out kazuma as a character

2) the finale arc should have been 2ep long with the first quarter used to develop a little side story or so.

i'm not saying this is the best show ever but some of the criticism isn't what that made the show a mediocre one, but rather the art style and cinematography and directing of some ep should have been the main problem of the show. (and who's the idiot that came up with the title for ep 3 which basically gave away the bloody punchline for the joke)

so in short, read the novel, it's so much better.

This x1000. Also Kazuma had every right to act the way he did unless you all are saying you would have put up and gladly accepted all the things the girls put him through u_u.
Black Magi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
The OP and ED were on point though lol
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
oh what a shame it got a c+ i really liked this series. in my opinion it wasn't exactly the best comedy and what nick said about having to wait through a few routines to hit a good one is right though for me it was more like one for one so i enjoyed it quite a bit.

as for his take on kazuma I must disagree. Kazuma got shat on quite a bit throughout the series if he could somehow change his personality and become positive and less of an ass would lead me to believe that he had a brain disorder or maybe those sucubi were taking something extra?

His obnoxious nature makes complete sense given the absurd setting he's put in and having to deal with those useless girls. Sure theyre all easy on the eyes but in a fantasy world where your future depends on your ability as an adventurer, a girl capable of using only one kind of magic and becomes useless afterwards, a 'tank' who can't hit still target and gets distracted with her fantasies easily, and a goddess whose common sense (and Int) are all but nonexistant, are all dead weight.

It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that these girls were hopeless without his direction since the show did show that before they met kazuma they had difficulty finding a group (Aqua is a special kind of stupid as well).

tl;dr I'd give this series a solid B or even a B+ not the greatest comedy but its hard not to laugh with these adventurers (especially AT them) on their silly missions.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Does this show have a bunch of censorship (light beams, darkened scenes, zoom-ins etc) that I should wait on the BD release for or is it pretty likely to be released as is?
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:22 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
What I was hoping for was for them to rise above that level but they never did.

Dude, Konosuba wasn't that sort of show. It purposefully didn't go for the serious emotionally-charged drama and meaningfully crafted character development routes. It went with the "here's some hopeless people with huge personality flaws, watch as they parody 'trapped in a game/fantasy world' stories by overcoming cliched situations in bizarre and not-so-cliched ways".

No it isn't a show to watch if you want something with depth. But if you just want an irreverent comedy with surprisingly clever twists and a cast of lovable misfits that have some great chemistry together, then this is the show for you.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Does this show have a bunch of censorship (light beams, darkened scenes, zoom-ins etc) that I should wait on the BD release for or is it pretty likely to be released as is?

Absolutely zero censorship. In fact, the fan service in the series is actually pretty limited beyond the episode with the succubi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:47 am Reply with quote
I think the criticism of Kazuma is not just him as a character but him as the mouthpiece of the writer, who seemed uninterested in taking the character comedy/observations beyond "lol silly girls be silly."
ragz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:31 am Reply with quote
Usually when someone writes a hack piece with little reasoning and even less research, it has a target audience. Not sure who the target of this is, other hipster bloggers?
Bobduh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
I think the criticism of Kazuma is not just him as a character but him as the mouthpiece of the writer, who seemed uninterested in taking the character comedy/observations beyond "lol silly girls be silly."

Bingo. Kazuma's "straight man" position placed him closest to the voice of the author, and often made it impossible to get any enjoyment out of scenes unless you agreed with his angry, adolescent attitudes towards the other characters. Kazuma was occasionally punished when he totally overreached in his character type, but his fundamental attitudes often felt like a part of the show's worldview, making for a sometimes unpleasant and distancing experience.
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:23 am Reply with quote
Bobduh wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:

Bingo. Kazuma's "straight man" position placed him closest to the voice of the author, and often made it impossible to get any enjoyment out of scenes unless you agreed with his angry, adolescent attitudes towards the other characters. Kazuma was occasionally punished when he totally overreached in his character type, but his fundamental attitudes often felt like a part of the show's worldview, making for a sometimes unpleasant and distancing experience.

Why WOULDN'T Kazuma be angry at the other characters when he constantly has to pay for their mistakes?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Absolutely zero censorship. In fact, the fan service in the series is actually pretty limited beyond the episode with the succubi.

Aqua reminds me of Yozora and Sena from Haganai in that they go around commando a lot but nobody ever seems to notice. It is almost as if the art director is trolling on the censors: fan service? what fan service? do you see any panty shots?

I wonder if there are more anime that did this.
stilldemented

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Bobduh wrote:

But I dare say, my good man! That might very well be the point! Wink

Let us not forget that this show is a parody. It rages against formulaic, self-insertion webnovels and their ilk for their phoned-in nature...by being exactly that! Surprised

Kazuma wants nothing more than to indulge in his second chance at life. He embraces the life of new adventure in a fantasy world where he will become a hero and go on an epic quest to defeat the demon king with a party of qualified women that will eventually fall in love with him and join his harem.

Instead he is given a fantasy world that makes no sense (flying cabbages), poor stats during his self-character creation, a party of incompetents, and a harem that grinds at his gears.

The author meta-trolls Kazuma, and Kazuma takes his frustrations out on whatever is being the source of his problems.

Is it insensitive? Technically. Most farces are to an extent. But the nature of farce does not concern itself with taking such things seriously. Alas, if Kazuma failed to immerse, then to-may-to/to-mah-to. Crying or Very sad

(We can still be friends. Razz )
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:37 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

I wonder if there are more anime that did this.

every girl in Saki appears to be going commando
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Covnam wrote:

Great to hear, thanks for the info Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4