• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Berserk Anime's Promo Features Susumu Hirasawa's Insert Song

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
If Miura is so demanding and Berserk so daunting, then why did the first two movies look so atrocious? I kind of think Miura doesn't care.

"Miura sure is gonna be up our ass about these soldiers, we better just use the exact same model for every single face, and render them to look like potatoes while we're at it." Any arguments that can be brought up for why drawing Berserk in 2D at the level of an anime like Utawarerumono 2 can't be done just confuses me. There's no reason why they have to keep going back to bad CG.
Valhern

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If Miura is so demanding and Berserk so daunting, then why did the first two movies look so atrocious? I kind of think Miura doesn't care.

"Miura sure is gonna be up our ass about these soldiers, we better just use the exact same model for every single face, and render them to look like potatoes while we're at it." Any arguments that can be brought up for why drawing Berserk in 2D at the level of an anime like Utawarerumono 2 can't be done just confuses me. There's no reason why they have to keep going back to bad CG.

I didn't mean to say that Miura is particularly demanding, I meant to say that he does such a spectacular work that it's almost impossible to replicate (and we know what a lot of manga fans in general are like when you can't keep up with the manga author). Really have no idea what work he does as supervisor, maybe he just checks the script or the composition of the series, gives the ok to any change, and that's it.

Like I said before, any producer would be scared to do Berserk. The only way you can get the best possible adaptation is if the producer and studio are ready to die with it. Story and art-wise, Berserk is one huge cliff you have to throw yourself off. You must not care about how much you'll win, just how cool you can make it, and not everybody can afford that, nor every studio is interested in Berserk.
ikramit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I think I’m kind of sick of the constant deriding of mangaka from supposed fans of the manga they work on. You know another constant that I’m rather sick of is when they do talk smack it’s without any basis at all; they just pull stuff out of the air. Do you have any idea how ridiculous their job is how much strain it has on them?

Berserk was once a weekly series but had to become a monthly one instead because Miura became seriously ill from overwork but what do you hear every time the series takes a break. Talk about iDOL M@STER or I hope the series ends before he dies, never mind his history of poor health or the amount of effort puts into each manga chapter.

There's a number of interviews with Miura where he talks about not having much of any social live (only a few Mangaka friends)because of his work and that he's not had a girlfriend since starting the manga because he's been preoccupied with his work and simply does not have the time for anything else. This is his life he has nothing else, berserk is pretty much the sum of it.

Now to set you straight, Miura was very picky when it came to what studio got to work on berserk and turned down a number of proposals from varies studios that needed to get his blessing before they could go ahead. Now when 4C came along they already had some footage and a bunch of other assets lined up that looked a lot better than anything the movie offered up but they along with the good reputation of the studio in question convinced him so he handed it over to them and they pulled a fast one.

There’s also a comment by the Mangaka of honey and clover a friend of Miura where she talks about going to see the first berserk movie with Miura in theaters and him having a funny expression on the entire time I’m guessing he might have been a little less pleased then you that his life’s work had been made into a rather ugly subpar movie but thats just a guess btw he had no role in the moives unlike here and in the old anime.

Last edited by ikramit on Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:02 pm; edited 4 times in total
Souther

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:42 pm Reply with quote
From ResidentGrigo's picture, it looks like we'll be getting more of the Blackswordsman than I thought.

CoreSignal wrote:
Are they gonna cram it all in the first episode or two, or will they try to spread it out?

My guess is it'll be a quick flashback of the events from the Golden Age Arc for some context, then straight to the stuff after the Eclipse. Then after that, we see Guts set off on his journey and into the Blackswordsman Arc. They might cram all that stuff into one episode, yeah.

Valhern wrote:
I mean, I'd shoot my own hand if I had to draw (let alone model) something like the armies Miura draws, every goddamn sword, armor, helmet, HORSE is different.

LOL yeah. Especially if this series is planning on going to the next arc, trying to do that traditionally would be an absolute nightmare. And As for why there was such a gap between the series and the movies, here's something interesting about that. To add to that, Zac Bertschy's interview with the founder of Studio 4°C reveals they originally planned to animate Lost Children after the three movies....

EDIT: Oh, Ikramit already posted that reason.

Last edited by Souther on Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, I missed all of discussion on this, I sometimes skip few weeks or few months, but does anyone know if -- for continuity -- you have to watch the films to see this new project?

I am asking because I only watched original 1990's anime and none of other films or whatever else was released in recent years.

Thanks in advance.
Souther

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
snip

You only need to watch the last movie for continuity. The series will carry on from there.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Miura had nothing to do with the films besides drawing promo art. 4°C´s Black Swordsman plans were never truly confirmed either but it make sense and they originally wanted to do exactly 1 film based on the Golden Age. 10 volumes = 2 hours. Aha.
Some say that Miura helped to pick the director, insert another misguided Idolmaster joke [here], but that can´t be confirmation either and makes no sense to me. The director did an incredible Batman short for WB and i liked Thundercats, so who knows why we had to crash and burn so hard. Skullknight and the like have comprehensive backlog on what went wrong with the films and we all need to let them go. 3 full years of justified negativity was enough and Hakusensha at least stepped in to fix matters. Maybe. To have been a fly on the wall dusting that whole mess...
The Pokemon guys onece managed to make a "very good" Berserk anime, so who knows here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8