• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation's Escaflowne Dub Casts Vic Mignogna, Felecia Angelle, Michelle Rojas

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:26 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

I specifically mentioned Kate because she is the ONLY actor that has to record lines for said scene. And technically it's not one scene for her. For the original anime, yes. But Kate will also have to come back for her lines in Akito the Exiled - as will Johnny Yong Bosch (whose relations with Funimation are actually a lot stronger than people know - beyond Makoto in Free and coming back for Renton Thurston in Eureka Seven AO, he was actually in the original FMA as Lujon), Yuri Lowenthal (whose relations are about Higgins' level, since they have each recorded at Funimation once - Yuri for Bayonetta Bloody Fate and Kate for BlazBlue Alter Memory - and although he's probably the most expensive actor since he's now doing mostly American animation, he has so many lines it would be a disgrace to recast him), and Spike Spencer (whose relations have actually be seen to improve a bit - he was Snake in Black Butler: Book of Circus). Beyond that, even if Kate doesn't want to buy a plane ticket, she can still record lines in California and then have someone ship the audio over to Dallas. Either that, or they can pull a Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan and have Christopher Sabat yank her over. It's entirely up to Funimation, but all of the actors have enough lines to where it is definitely worth a shot. Besides, recording ALL 50 EPISODES is going to be incredibly expensive and a pain in the ass. Not to mention that taking back the whole cast is near impossible since a few of them have quit voice acting altogether.

And that last point is exactly why they can't get all the actors back for the new dub. When's the last time Ocean did a dub? Hm? They've practically fallen off the radar, so it's not like Funi would invest in signing a deal with them. And besides, it would easily cost a lot more to get so many people from one country to another than one state to another, so that would be off the table also.

If Blue Water Studios counts, they've been doing a few obscure anime dubs like Buddyfight. Ocean itself? The only dubs they've done since 2010 are Inuyasha: The Final Act and Roberta's Blood Trail.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
Panzer Vor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:47 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
The people being talked about in this thread are all professional voice actors. They might be able to surprise you too.

A lot of people fail to realize that pigeonholing is definitely a thing that happens a lot in voiceover work. There are a lot of voice actors who don't get to use their full range (vocal or acting) because of it.
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I am not going to get involved in an argument about this dub, but I have had several actors surprise me with voices that I did not expect from them.

Three that I can think of right now are Colleen Clinkenbeard as Luffy in One Piece, Christopher R. Sabat as Kuwabara in Yu Yu Hakusho, and Brina Palencia as Tamama in Sgt. Frog.
In all three cases I never suspected who was doing the voice, and after I saw the credits I thought that it was a mistake until I got some confirmation.
Maybe they have done other similar voices, but they were new to me and definitely not what I expected from those actors.

The people being talked about in this thread are all professional voice actors. They might be able to surprise you too.

You're right. Want to be surprised by Vic? Go listen to Uncle Qrow from RWBY. It sure surprised the hell out of me. They announced Vic before Volume 3 premiered and I was still caught off guard when I heard him. If Folken is supposed to be "brooding and super cold handsome" that's sounds a lot like Uncle Qrow. Touma is right, these are professional actors, not one-trick ponies.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:25 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
Can't wait to see penguintruth's response on Vic as Folken rather than Chris Sabat. lol

i would probably suspect he would be relieved considering most of the community was pondering and worrying about the possibility that the full metal alchemist 2003 main cast will be the main vocal cast for this series. though it definitely was surprising that sabat isnt voicing folken. at least vic isnt voicing alan. dont get me wrong cause personally he should have gotten the role as alan but then it would have gotten so ugly in the fourms that the admins especially zac and psycho 101 would have to lock them with extreme prejudice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4