• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Random 21

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:28 am Reply with quote
Alright, here we go:

Space Patrol Luluco 3/5 - Yeah, I liked it well enough, I'm not in love with it quite yet but I imagine it'll grow on me over time. Either way, not much of a time sink.
Ushio and Tora 2 4/5 - More Ushio and Tora, which is always good. This episode reminded me why I love it so much, pretty yet still creepy monsters and and characters. Still loving it.
Ace Attorney ?/5 - ...Honestly? I dunno how to rank it. Like, I really enjoyed it, but I have a suspicion that's mostly just the fanservice aspect, since I'm a huge Phoenix Wright fan. I don't really know how enjoyable it would be if you weren't already into the series. The animation is wonky, the pacing is waaay too fast as it tries to cram the whole first case into one episode, not giving time for any of the objections to actually sink in before moving to the next one. I guess I could say 2.5/5 for non-AA fans, 3.5/5 if you are, although I imagine either way it's worth waiting to see how they handle the larger cases.

EDIT: Decided to rewatch AA and yeah, that's definitely a solid 2.5 to me. The humour is there, but it's just so cheap and kinda ugly. Really upsetting, I saw it coming but I at least had some hope. Sigh Sad

Last edited by Random 21 on Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:33 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed Lost Village - I think this particular tragical mystery tour is going to be less thriller/horror and more MELODRAMA.

I like Melodrama...

The opening introduction sequence gave me vibes it may be "Cult Mass Suicide: The Animation", more Jonestown than Nanaki Village.
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:46 am Reply with quote
The first season of Terraformars was much better than this one. Sure it had its pretty bad episodes and awful censorship on top, but at least it managed to capture the manga's atmosphere and especially in the last episodes, deliver the emotional impact that needed to be delivered. This one, I'm happy that someone turned on the lights at last, but other than that, it's your everyday generic shounen with bad and cliched dialogue and battles that seem like a bad slideshow. The dark and seinen vibe the manga and the first season had is totally off the table, making it an unfortunately boring experience. This is going to be tough.

Other than that, Jojo is awesome like always but one could expect nothing less. As about Mayoiga, I definitely smell another... Another coming this way. At least we can only hope that it won't be as ridiculous as Another was, because the premise has immense potential and many things to say. Cross fingers for luck!
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
I recently read that anime revenue went down for 2 years in a row. Some can be blamed on a changing market but drowning us with low budged midnight shows, aka. infomercials, has started to take it´s toll. On to the shows and i can´t spot a theme:

Flying Witch A Ran to Haiiro no Sekai anime would have been preferable but this manga is also proving to be the real deal due to a strong feeling of time & place and a good take on magic.
Fans of YKK and the Mono No Aware ecstatic will love it.

Gyakuten Saiban I finished every Ace Attorney game besides Dai Gyakuten Saiban (the fan translation is nearly finished) and expect the show to suffer from the same problems Takashi Miike´s decent film did. Or most game to anime translation in general. The mediums are just too different for direct adaptations by no-names but we will see.

Gundam UC RE: 0096 i fond the original OVA to be utterly forgettable and dislike the heavy amount of 00s-esque retcons to the UC. The Bande Dessinée titled manga remake is the best adaptation of the originating novels, so read them instead. The string of aggressively average Gundam TV shows thus goes on but i still have more of The Origin / Thunderbolt to look forward to.

Joker Game The thematic is interesting but most, if not all (?), pre-World War II shows tuned out to be rather average in the past. IG´s assigned staff is a capable team but they are unproven with original material. Dark horse candidate No.1

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable my only certified lock and the best part of the franchise after III and VII. The direct prequel may have been where the manga finally got to justify the titular "Bizarre" and VI is crazier but keep your tinfoil hats @ the ready nonetheless. You will need them!

Koutetsujou no Kabaneri The studio behind Titan, who are otherwise a mess, cloned it with a steampunk setting to fully control the rights. The also hired the "writer" of the Bersek films, Code Geass, the incomprehensible film version of the glorious RahXephon, Negima!, the severely dumbed down Planetes anime and Valvrape. A certified dumpster fire in the making but will it entertain?
I could use a good laugh, courtesy of Amazon Prime.

Kuromukuro An original sci-fi show from a capable director and an unknown writer. Does anyone else remember when every anime needed to feature mechs in the 00s? Even The Count of Monte Cristo operated one! A bit like ESP in 80s. Dark horse candidate No.2

Macross Delta The original show should have skipped the questionable 3rd act, so i prefer the classic film version, but it helped to establish "serious" TV anime while starting the career of Hideaki Anno and many more. The sleep inducing Macross II öppled nice had the decency to go out of cannon. Macross Plus is the best OVA of all time. Macross 7 was unwatchable but at least gave us on of the finest OSTs ever. Macross Zero´s and Frontier script´s fell apart as both went on but crazy high production values and general competence still made both enjoyable. Don´t ask me what the convoluted Frontier remake films were for though. All thus had something to offer, which brings me to Delta´s pilot. It was borderline unwatchable and is the first badly animated entry since Macross 7. Even the songs sucked (WTF?) and the promotional materiel reveals this show for what it is. A way to keep the marketing train going and a clear cut Waifu / Husbando commercial. I could bitch about the magical elements, the cringe worthy character designs and ...stop. Shōji Kawamori finally managed to gain complete control and now went full George Lucas on us.
Help me James Wan, your Robotech is my only hope!

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal: Season III The 90s show is a mess and aged abysmally so i will never understand the internet backlash for this much needed manga re-adaptation. The animation budget could be higher but i would sell a kidney if my favorites could get an equally accurate TV treatment. The dvds barely sell and the streaming numbers are low-ish but the manga again became a bestseller and both now constantly receive coverage from non-anime sites, so i consider this project to be one of the most important advertisement for the medium in years.

Terraformars Revenge The previous show had it´s problems and some can be blamed on the manga but we got a new team for the sequel. The new head writer is a borderline hack but this show should work if they just adapts the source material. The manga managed to shake off the early growing pains it this point and really started to deliver. I call it Gantz 2.0.

Uchuu Patrol Luluco these shorts will celebrate the 5 year anniversary of Trigger´s establishment.
I am frankly not that impressed with their output (Ninja Slayer is the one show i truly like) but you never know.

A lot of potentially good adaptations and 2 original shows look promising, so i am continuously optimistic for this season! Only RS Keikaku: Rebirth Storage and Under the Dog look noteworthy the in the barren OVA / film wasteland.
(The recent Justice League vs. Teen Titans was OK btw. Young Justice fans should have fun due to the strong characterizations, despite the lame story.) See you when all had a chance to air.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
Space Patrol Luluco: 3.5/5
It's cute and I like this particular brand of zaniness so I enjoyed it well enough. The fact that it's also a short is real bonus cause I could not handle 30 min of this level of constant energy. It's not the greatest, but it's entertaining and short enough to not be a waste of my time or anything like that.

Mayoiga/The Lost Village: 2/5
Oh my god there was so much going on in this episode I felt like I was watching 5 episodes in one and not in a good way. This show is trying way too hard and honestly it should probably stay that way cause this anime could unintentionally be a very funny comedy. I get the feeling that this anime will become even more melodramatic, so I'll stick around for the so-bad-it's-good ride.
NormanS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
The lost village's cast is very similar to Okada's other work M3 The dark metal where the cast is mostly socially awkward (or socially dysfunctional) people. Except M3's writing kept reminding the viewers how awful some characters are and really wants to rub the fact in your face, making the whole experience very agitating to me. I hope this isnt the same again. And since this is an Okada series, its time to brace myself for DRAMA.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
Just wanted to mention something for Ace Attorney`s first episode. In the games the player is always shown who the murderer for the first trail is. It starts off as being easy but always ends with the final trial being super intense. The Anime`s first episode/trail will come across as being comedic and cheesy, but then things will start to get very interesting and serious when the twists come to play. Hope to see some people`s views on the Anime change once we get into the other trials (especially the ones that involve Miles Edgeworth).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
After seeing some of the comments I knew I had to see The Lost Village. I was not disappointed, at least compared to what I was expecting after seeing them. If I hadn't maybe I would have a little. Certainly meets the standard for so bad it's good, and I mean that as a complement. Some bad shows are just bad so so bad it's good is a feat worthy of recognition, though hardly an honor writers or directors seek. If they start dropping like flies, I'll be happy.

In other news, Asterisk War's second season is playing to its strengths in the genre, which is to say animation, ED, and a level of writing at least above average in the genre and passable generally speaking. Certainly better than the first season's premiere. Starts where they left off last season, so it's not really for newcomers.

I wasn't expecting much from Terraformars Revenge, but frankly it was a bit underwhelming. Though I may have forgotten the extent of the weakness of the first season, though the second could use some more of the first's over the top violence, though without the over the top censorship. I do want to see how this all plays out though.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:38 am Reply with quote
Did A-1 outsource Ace Attorney to some studio in the Philippines or something? This is by far the cheapest show I've seen in quite a while. It really hits you when you see the poorly rendered CG court and jurors.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Hookay. Just finished watching first episode of Phoenix Wright. My head kinda hurts but I'll try to keep it together.

Knowing I've only played the first game many years ago, and only at least half before I returned it to Gamefly again many years ago, I can eerily recall this episode somewhat vaguely. It's pretty much like watching a game manual adapted to screen, or in modern terms it feels like a Let's Play video without the jerkass comments. The fanservice is heavy; fans of the games may find it privy, as would you'd kids. As an adult with only a vague recollection of the games and an eye to detail (thank you ADD), all I can see a promotional gimmick. Which it is, no doubt. The colors are pretty, but the animation is just awkward and goofy; I imagine this as the intention of cl the creaters to match the nature of said game though.

So for kids and fans of the series, it would be about 2.5, maybe 3, out of 5. For outsiders, 1. It's goofy fun, but not a good basis for a paralegal drama. Even the villains on Law & Order were better composed before the end of every episode.

You know, if Phoenix Wright had entered SVU this might be a VERY different series.
Ammonite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
[Post deleted]

Last edited by Ammonite on Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
prime_pm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Also, sorry for the double post, as someone who lives in baltimore and has sat on an actual jury, I find the most hard to believe aspect of Phoenix Wright to be how fast everything goes to trial.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I feel kinda out of place. I actually liked Mayoiga, a lot. Not in a so bad it's good way, just good.

I admit that some of the characters look a bit too cartonish (like the run-away couple, Hayato/Speedstar, the guy who punched the driver, and the "Survival guys"), but I can assure you that I traveled with people like this in long-distance buses, and most of the things shown in the episode happen.

For example, Varukana, the older guy who yells a lot, there ALWAYS is someone like that who thinks that they can handle a zombie apocalypse just like that. The blonde guy with hat who speaks funny and tries to sound friendly, one time I traveled with someone who looked exactly like that, annoying as hell. The girl that boasts about finding her "Adan", never heard someone say that but close enough, the woman that teases the young, shy guy. I've seen some rappers wanna be, but never in the same group. Oh yeah, and the main girl whose name I don't remember, she sounded pretty natural to me, there were people like that in school (most of these are teenagers, by the way, and as I'm preparing myself to work in schools, I gotta say there are far more examples).

Other things, like singing (a very weird song, that is) with everyone is fairly common, or playing a word game (very weird, too), Dahara is pretty much like any coordinator out there, I've heard from time to time the same lines he says. Whenever there is a stop, people going to bathrooms, people staying in the bus (I'm that one), and common shenanigans, nothing new.

I do agree that the driver put me off entirely, I expected him to take a wild turn and say something like "How's dat for a do-over, huh?!", but his development was just too forced. Ah, by the way, that dream scene was awesome, maybe a bit too pretentious of foreshadowing or something like that, but dreams do look like that.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
JoeQ wrote:
JoJo Also a minor complaint: Shining Diamond? C'mon CR.

Don't blame CR for that, this was also prevalent in the All-Star Battle game overseas, and probably the same to Eyes of Heaven's Localization. The name changes were approved by the author himself, so yeah, they'll be using the changed names from the game to JoJo Part 4, this was also prevalent in the first 3 parts of Jojo, nothing much you can do with the subs regardless. (Though its just the subs saying the name changes, not the vocals themselves.)
---
Either way, I don't rate stuff that's going on, but Jojo Part 4, Ace Attorney, Luluco, and others later on such as SM Crystal Season 3 and Academia, will be something on the watch for me ahead, lol. This spring is about to get good! X3
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Also, sorry for the double post, as someone who lives in baltimore and has sat on an actual jury, I find the most hard to believe aspect of Phoenix Wright to be how fast everything goes to trial.

They address this in the game series. Apparently, the new trial system was implemented because the crime rate has skyrocketed so high that they need to settle everything inside of three days just to keep up.

Despite, you know, Phoenix Wright taking place in like the sunniest happiest reality ever. Just go with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 45