• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Being a complete dick. He's absolutely shitty to Midoriya all of the time and he's arrogant all of the time. I have seen absolutely no other facets to his character. If I'm not remembering something, please feel free to point it out.

Well, that depends on how you relate to these kind of characters. Since Deku is such a good underdog, anyone who craps on him just for trying his best does sound like a total prick. On the other hand, people are complex like that.

I think that what makes Bakugou's character interesting (likeable maybe not at first, down the road it gets better) is, in fact, his "one trick", which is being angry at all times. The thing is that he displays anger at different things, and then transforming it into different feelings.

For example, when he is angry at Deku (at first), he is angry that Deku wants to be in the same place as he is (esp. both being hardcore All Might fans) when he shouldn't be. He recognizes that their ambitions are the same, but since children he's already built up the idea that the world can only have one greatest hero ever, which is why he mocks every attempt Deku makes to be a hero. Mocking and ridiculizing him are his way of shutting down the fear of him not being "the one".

In this episode they show the flashback when he is angry at himself and his incompetence, realizing that he has not ever been perfect. Even worse, the guy who always said he wanted to be the hero Bakugou wants to be, ends up making more progress in the eyes of his hero, even WORSE, he seems to have inherited All Might's power! So basically his whole character is constructed (to me at least) from the fear of not fitting in and not being able to reach your ambitions (basically, Deku himself but with a reversed personality).

There is more stuff on him but that's later down in this arc and then way later into the manga.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:43 am Reply with quote
Right from the start, you can also see hints of jealousy at Midoriya. Bakugo grew up seeing Midoriya as that nobody with lofty dreams he has no hopes of reaching, but here he is at UA, and he's always overcoming everything coming at him by the skin of his teeth. That makes for good underdog writing. But from the perspective of someone who's gifted, talented, and everyone knows it, that's an incredibly scary person.

Midoriya is essentially an affront to what he believes he should be in human form. So while his one note is being angry, he's angry at a variety of different things, all of which are pretty complex and come together to forma unique flavor of anger.

All in all though, Bakugo exists mainly to be a foil gor Midoriya. My Hero Academia is Midoriya's story, and what the narrative is mostly concerned abou is Bakugo's relationship to Midoriya. We'll see later as they get more into the finer details of Bakugo's nature and background though.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote
I give the mangaka/writers major kudos for introducing the concept that there isn't just one class at UA and that the 1A students can be "demoted" to lower classes and vice-versa. Also for introducing what can be interesting non-1A students who desire greatness too and for showing that there are various motivations for the individual students beyond heroism. May be slow, but I'm hooked again.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:48 am Reply with quote
I liked the little tidbit after Midoriya wins where you see Bakugou's arms throbbing and water vapor rising from Todoroki's body, explaining why they had to run instead of just bursting past Midoriya again with their Quirks.

Also heh that foreshadowing in the preview.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly more excited for this show than I think I ever was in Season 1. Everything just clicks, and the fact that it's a battle tournament arc (essentially) is icing on the cake for me. Definitely one of my most-looked-forward-to shows this season.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I just can't wait to see people's reactions to spoiler[when Mineta and Kaminari trick the girls into dressing up in cheerleader uniforms.]
John Thacker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
Ochako was pretty obviously crushing on Midoriya. Her jealous looks and insecurity when Midoriya and Mei the support girl hit it off over their shared hero fandom were quite obvious.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote
so , toru was going at it topless, that's a weird mental image if there is one. and while we are in the theme, I find midnighter's anime design kind of weird, it worked in the manga because the white parts of her outfit looked lie she was half naked, but for obvious reason she was not, but they can't get that to work in the anime. not that it matters that much since this aniem is about as echi as draogn ball (which means just ocasionally but always out of left field, can't wait for himiko toga).
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
The dynamic character animation+sound effect+the excellent music made this the best episode yet.
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
It is absolutely no surprise that the music here does wonders for the show overall. As it is all composed by the same man behind Death Parade, Gundam Build Fighters and Haikyuu!!'s soundtracks.

All of those series used music wonderfully to get their point across, and to build up the hype or emotions of scenes, and it seems to be no different here.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
That Recipro Burst though! BONES is doing such an amazing job.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
It's really bewildering to see people on social media complain that the top four teams advanced to the next round instead of the top three, and claim that it's for "stupid plot reasons". It's a sports fest/tournament arc, guys, unless they're suddenly going to go with a round robin-style tournament for the first time in shonen history, they'll need 2^n players for the "playoffs". We're not talking rocket science here.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
It's really bewildering to see people on social media complain that the top four teams advanced to the next round instead of the top three, and claim that it's for "stupid plot reasons". It's a sports fest/tournament arc, guys, unless they're suddenly going to go with a round robin-style tournament for the first time in shonen history, they'll need 2^n players for the "playoffs". We're not talking rocket science here.

Wait there are people complaining that 4 extra people made the final so we can have a top 16?

Has no one ever seen a normal tournament bracket(Discounting Round Robin stuff) you have to have 4,8,16,32,64,etc otherwise you'll have to have a Triple Threat at some point to re-balance to 1V1 in the final.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Man, this was the best episode yet! I just loved all of the different reversals and how different characters came to the fore and showed their stuff. That still with Midoriya and Todoroki was too good.
hsapin

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 6:53 am Reply with quote
Really glad you finally stopped complaining about the pacing, trying to condense the previous episodes wouldn't have really made any sense from a pacing standpoint, we would have ended up with something far more awkward as a result.

The season so far has been just straight up fantastic imo. If it keeps this quality throughout it will be one of the greats.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 23 of 81