• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:55 am Reply with quote
I pretty much agree with BSP's analysis. I figured she'd lose just because if Bakugo got kicked out now, there's no showdown between him and Deku later on. Which is why I'm assuming Todoroki will lose next week as well. I'd be happy if they created a satisfying alternative to this path, but I'll be surprised if they can.

Given the current state of things, I'd rather see support roles for strong girls than tsundere roles, since that at least gives me room to like them. Can you imagine how godawful Bakugo would've been if he'd been written as a girl?

And yes, I loved Deku's retort to Endeavor. I just wished he'd added, "If you've got a problem with All Might, take it up with him and leave us out of it."
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
For all the reasons others have already given, the outcome of Ochaco versus Bakugo seemed all but meta-narratively predetermined to me as well. I think the author could have pulled off an even better story if this particular fight had turned our expectations on their head, though; Ochaco narrowly defeating Bakugo could have been an awesome point at which to develop both of their characters, and give us an excuse to indulge the show's (and source's?) surprising ability to story-tell without shackling itself entirely to its protagonist's point of view.
Starbuckets

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
CookieBun wrote:
Quote:
Are heroines in this genre stuck aiming for "at least they tried" status?

That's the question that I want to ask too.
They definitely exist (just take SnK this season).

Anyway, good episode as always but I somewhat preferred it in the manga, despite the adaptation being pretty much flawless. I realised that the fact that I already know what's going to happen kinda dampened my enjoyment of this second season, and while I'm still enjoying it a lot and I adore the manga and think it gets better as it goes on, seeing all of it in animated form just doesn't get me quite as hyped as season 1 used to while I was still an animeonly.

Bah, with all that being said I'm still very much excited for the next episode.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Sam Leach wrote:
FireballDragon wrote:
Could people PLEASE stop comparing Bakugo to Sasuke when he's clearly more like Vegeta?

Vegeta was a villain who was introduced midway into the series and then turned good. Bakugo is a day one rival whose growth happens alongside the main character's.

I mean in terms of personality. Bakugo isn't quiet and broody like "Human Ow The Edge" Sasuke, he's volatile and competitive like Vegeta.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I'm not reading the manga, but i'm curious: are there any female characters - heroes or villains - with strong physical quirks like Bakugo or do they all have these support-type powers? What puzzled me the most was that even pro-heroes expected him to go easy on her which made it seem like women aren't really considered to be equals in the hero world...

It hasn't been shown to its full power because that'd be a little excessive for a shonen manga of this age, but Ashido Mina's Quirk is literally spewing out acid, which can't be toned down like Todoroki's buildings of ice that just comically freeze people. She still can slide and use it in different ways like Bakugou does. Yaoyorozu Momo's Quirk (Creation) is neither support or offenseive but it's very good for hand to hand combat (which hasn't been shown yet).

Itsuka Kendo (Class B orange haired girl) can make her hands super big which is also a strong physical Quirk. Asui Tsuyu's frog body could be considered apt for physical fight, since her tongue can lift up a person and she can spew out a toxic liquid, especially in water she's quite proficent.

And of course some other that appear down the line; there are two quite similar to the flashiest Quirks of Bakugou and Todoroki, such as spoiler[Earth Flow (basically Earth bending) and way later we see someone who can use the Hadouken of sorts. And as some other pointed out, the dragon girl. ]
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I want to note two points in this whole "are the girls gonna match the boys" discussion:
1. So far season 2 is focusing HEAVILY on Todoroki, who is one of the top 2-3 heroes in the class, Todoroki so far has NEVER used his fire (father's) side. So, he is currently one of the top students of his level using only the power that (as we have been ENDLESSLY reminded) he gained from his MOTHER.
2. As others have noted, there are numerous women/girls with very strong quirks. I would argue that the discrepancy is that before this fight with Ochako we haven't seen the girls display a lot of "aggression" (especially in comparison to someone like Bakugo). We know that Deku, Todoroki & Bakugo ALL have reasons to specifically note they're aiming to be the #1 hero. OTOH, there's many characters (male and female) that seem to want to prove themselves, but not be all that anxious to be the absolute #1. At least half of 1-A (if not more) seems comfortable with the concept of simply being a "salaryman" type hero, (ie. "I have a role and I do my job") whether their quirk is CAPABLE of putting them on top or not.

Heck, although she had no specific advantage in the first event. If she placed high enough to get into the cavalry battle, the "invisible girl" should be able to take down pretty much everyone except Todoroki right now. (Todoroki is the only exception IMO because he's the one with an easily usable attack/defense "area wide" quirk.)
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
CookieBun wrote:
@BodaciousSpacePirate Good points, which is why MHA is a step in right direction. But still, there's a difference between having capable female characters as side characters and them actually being narratively important, as characters that propel the story forward. Sure, the women of MHA are super capable, but will the story actually show them being that in a badass, narratively meaningful way?

For all the crap it gets I always thought making strong female characters and fighters was one of Fairy Tails strengths, it had other issues with Fan-service but the girls were almost always drawn as strong and capable on their own.

Erza is considered one of the strongest wizards in her country, Mira is frequently talked highly of, a lot of the girls have their own fights where they fight mostly by themselves and win. Even Wendy who is basically a 14-year old fights on her own a lot in the latter half of the show.

One Piece IMO is the opposite, it gets propped up for it's great story and characters but when it comes to independent fighting we almost never get to see Nami and Robin do their own thing and not fall back and let one of the guys handle it.

I hope MHA takes a few more notes from Fairy Tail about female fighters than One Piece.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Merida wrote:
I'm not reading the manga, but i'm curious: are there any female characters - heroes or villains - with strong physical quirks like Bakugo or do they all have these support-type powers? What puzzled me the most was that even pro-heroes expected him to go easy on her which made it seem like women aren't really considered to be equals in the hero world...

It hasn't been shown to its full power because that'd be a little excessive for a shonen manga of this age, but Ashido Mina's Quirk is literally spewing out acid, which can't be toned down like Todoroki's buildings of ice that just comically freeze people. She still can slide and use it in different ways like Bakugou does. Yaoyorozu Momo's Quirk (Creation) is neither support or offenseive but it's very good for hand to hand combat (which hasn't been shown yet).

Itsuka Kendo (Class B orange haired girl) can make her hands super big which is also a strong physical Quirk. Asui Tsuyu's frog body could be considered apt for physical fight, since her tongue can lift up a person and she can spew out a toxic liquid, especially in water she's quite proficent.

And of course some other that appear down the line; there are two quite similar to the flashiest Quirks of Bakugou and Todoroki, such as spoiler[Earth Flow (basically Earth bending) and way later we see someone who can use the Hadouken of sorts. And as some other pointed out, the dragon girl. ]

And regardless of Ashido's Quirk, she was strong enough to knock Aoyama out cold with a single uppercut.

Also spoiler[The hero who All Might got One for All from was actually a woman.]

spoiler[Who turns out to be Shigaraki's grandmother.]
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
For all the crap it gets I always thought making strong female characters and fighters was one of Fairy Tails strengths, it had other issues with Fan-service but the girls were almost always drawn as strong and capable on their own.

I agree, and would add that while most of the fanservice in Fairy Tail is certainly designed to titillate male readers, it's also one of the very few male demographic "fanservice comics" to also include plenty of female demographic fanservice. It's clearly not present in a 1:1 ratio, but all too often with comics like Fairy Tail (or even in American superhero comics), when you see a muscly guy without a shirt, it's designed to be a male power fantasy, not a sexy show for women (compare what Cyclops and Jean Grey look like in swimsuits in 90s X-Men comics... both characters' bodies are drawn for male readers).

It always felt like Fairy Tail was trying to divorce its power fantasy elements from its fanservice elements, and that having one didn't necessarily preclude the other... Gray and Erza are both very powerful, and they are also both eye candy for different segments of the comic's readership (there's definitely a reason why people sympathize with Juvia's "plight").

It feels a bit too early to tell how My Hero Academia is going to handle fanservice for its more powerful female characters. At the end of the day, I've come to expect some level of creepy male gaze in every shonen series, but The Promised Neverland's portrayal of young girls has definitely led me to become more optimistic about the Shonen Jump brand, so I'm just going to wait and see.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:

That being said, my respect for Bakugo grew quite a bit in this ep. for not letting himself getting provoked by the booing and for taking Uraraka seriously.

It has nothing to do with the fact that she's a woman, they were booing because it looked like an extremely one sided physical fight. Mic even said before the fight began that he was rooting for her, and when everyone found out what her plan really was they totally changed their perspectives. It's just a lack of perception. Clearly Bakugo treats her as an equal or he wouldn't have fought her with his full power as he did, despite the complaint from the audience. Also, Mount Lady and Midnight seem totally respected. Mountains out of molehills, as is par for the course here.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:
Mountains out of molehills, as is par for the course here.

Meh. There are a lot of shonen shows where the heroines are exclusively matched up against other women. After you've see your first dozen shonen shows doing this, you get the feeling that not only does this assume that the heroine can't beat a male enemy, but it also implies that the authors don't want to show the hero "beating up a girl".

It's even worse in Western geek media than in anime, but thankfully, My Hero Academia seems not to fall prey to that particular pitfall.

That being said, one man's mountain is another man's molehill.
Johan Eriksson 9003

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:43 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
That being said, one man's mountain is another man's molehill.

More like a man's molehill is a woman's mountain. That's usually how these issues work. Some things just doesn't seem like a big deal when they don't affect you personally.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:08 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
And regardless of Ashido's Quirk, she was strong enough to knock Aoyama out cold with a single uppercut.

Also, reading the manga, the author states that she's one of the strongest students of 1-A.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
It's not really relevant what the general climate of these shows is though if we're just discussing MHA, which is what I was doing. And the episode at hand didn't indicate anything that could be deemed an issue for me, perspective be damned.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
This is easily one of those best of all time episode. I was shaking of excitement for a good hour after I saw the episode as I kept replaying those last 5 minutes over and over again. I litterally cried of fanboyism. Praise studio BONES and Yutakata Nakamura. A++ is definitely what this episode deserves. It took everything about what was built up so far and blasted us with time ×1000000%
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 81