• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Lost Village

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stilldemented

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:01 pm Reply with quote
theycallmekorn wrote:
stilldemented wrote:
Not saying this will convince anyone that this show is 'good'. But this show is doing something that is outside the realm of comprehension for most anime viewers.

In short, I don't consider this show outside of my comprehension.

Not to single anyone out in particular, but this thought so happens to accentuate the issue that 3-4 other users have with my post and that particular quote. So I'm just going to use this to address all that right fast. (But I don't disagree with most of your thoughts on so called 'enlightened elitism', though I'd probably word it differently. Wink)

A lot of negative internalization seems to have occurred. A general remark was made and people have twisted it into a personal slight against their taste and intelligence, rebuking in kind to various degrees.

I don't think less of anyone's opinions for or against Mayoiga. I understand completely. Neutral

I, myself, have called this show a hot mess. I'm just convinced it's on purpose. The show has enough similarities with absurdist fiction that it was worth pointing out. But it isn't Monty Python or Samuel Beckett by any stretch of the imagination.

The absurdism is consistent enough that it cannot be written or animated that way on accident or by coincidence, but low key enough to where it isn't particularly noticeable.

So I thought it was worth sharing due to all the mixed feelings I've seen expressed in the thread. By all means, feel free to love or hate the show to heart's content. The wiki articles are just me pointing at the elephant in the room more so than any attempt to devalue anyone's experience.

That's my clarification on the subject. Smile
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote
stilldemented wrote:

Not saying this will convince anyone that this show is 'good'. But this show is doing something that is outside the realm of comprehension for most anime viewers.

Absurdist fiction doesn't really care that the audience doesn't understand. The secret is that it never intended to ever make sense.

I don't think this show is Absurdist (in the Samuel Beckett sense). The show's structure seems too complex for absurdism, nor does it have the proper level of futility and pointlessness that is normally required for that philosophical point of view.

So is it just a parody then? But we also see serious scenes such as the Mitsumune/Tokimune flashbacks, which are not funny and too dramatic for a straight-up parody.

Or maybe this is a drama with some intentional campiness thrown in? A writer/director who is inexperienced or insecure about the merits of the work will sometimes toss in campy elements into an otherwise serious story in an attempt to mask bad writing or bad visuals. That way any objections about dumb plot holes or bad scenes can be explained away with "Hey I meant to do that! It's camp!" Basically it is an excuse for lazy writing.

Okada has a heavy workload this season so maybe she is just trying to cover up a slapdash script. But there is way too much of it, and Mizushima is doing it too, so I think something else in going on here.

The only other possible explanation I can think of is that it is a case of Ha Ha Only Serious. The show is trying to make a point that has yet to be fully revealed (or I'm just missing it).
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:05 am Reply with quote
This show is such a beautiful train wreck! :'D
It's not surrealism or absurdism. And I'm not sure if it's trying to be "so bad it's good" either. I think it's just wonderfully bad Very Happy
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I surprised myself by actually enjoying this episode quite a bit. For one, almost all the characters acted like they had more than half a brain between them. Even the "save me" half of the lovebirds contributed good points. I only wish they had followed up on those follow-up questions rather than getting distracted into a witch hunt again. ^^; (Seriously, no one just demands a straight answer about Yottsun?)

The bus scene was pretty funny for me, probably because it was just so unexpected. I mean, 30 people couldn't get this bus out of the mud, yet this guy somehow got it up a friggin' cliff! Anime hyper

I did find Reiji's hidden face to be an odd turn, though. It seems like an attempt at a later reveal, but it's pretty clear that no one in the group looks like him. And Masaki's silly vagueness isn't helping matters. Still, there's not much left to go in this show, so I'm banking on either a crazy blood-bath in the last episodes due to the crazy "bear" everyone has plain forgotten about at this point, or, and this is probably much more likely, no one is dead and everyone gets therapy and goes home.
wolf10

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I think a last-episode bloodbath would be too predictable, and thus entirely beyond what I will accept from this show at this point. I'm pretty sure Nanko has deduced that self-help sessions are, in fact, the only way to leave the village without the monster attacking. We just need to see what it takes to get these people to sort themselves out.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
it would be even more fun if nobody dies.

so, is this show bad on purpose or is everything a wonderful accident ?

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t117/maximilianjenus/mayoiga_zps1bfg4s0a.jpg
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:40 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
so, is this show bad on purpose or is everything a wonderful accident ?

I wouldn't be surprised if that turned out to be deliberate.
GregoriusU

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
stilldemented wrote:
For those of you who still don't really understand what this show is doing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatre_of_the_Absurd#Theatrical_features
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absurdist_fiction
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surreal_humour

That will help.

Absurdist fiction doesn't really care that the audience doesn't understand. The secret is that it never intended to ever make sense. This show is most likely to end with hundreds of questions and no answers.

Which is the point. We aren't supposed to know whether we should take this show seriously or not. Whatever you get out of it is exactly what you desired. So even if you think it sucks...This show gave you exactly what you thought of it. Laughing

This show is a ridiculous, absurd, nonsensical blast. I expect absolutely nothing out of the 'truth' we are expected to get in the next episode. I'll bet it will make even less sense than anything we've seen so far.

Roll with it. Cool

(On a side note: Happy 100th post to me! Smile )

While a lot of the action in Mayoiga is decidedly absurd, I'm not sure that you can call it "absurdist". Back in my drama school days, I studied (and acted in) several plays "of the absurd", and the meaninglessness they were attempting to portray was existential in nature, not "void of rational meaning" as in non-sensical idiocy in a real dangerous situation. Read "Waiting for Godot," "Rhinoceros," and "Ubu Roi" among others, and then you'll have a better appreciation for what "absurdISM" means.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Even at this late stage, I feel virtually nothing for any of these characters. Case in point: When Hayato's mother flipped out in response to her son watching disagreeable programs, my first thought was, "I hope the television's all right."
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Hayato's "no, don't stop him" line was the one that made me laugh the most in this episode.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
Hayato's "no, don't stop him" line was the one that made me laugh the most in this episode.

I'm partial to the "turdonerd" line, although all credit goes to the translator on that one.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Nearly everyone in this story is an inhuman...

Every time I see comments like this in these reviews I can't help but wonder exactly what kind of alternate universe Nick lives in where all humans are apparently Vulcans or something.

Quote:
we learned Hayato's relationship with Mitsumune was based on a backstory roughly as believable as Lovepon's

... I guess parents abusing their children doesn't happen in Nick's universe either. Maybe you didn't find his backstory particularly affecting, but stuff like that happens in the real world. The parents want to fit into their rich community, forces son to behave appropriately and punishes him when he doesn't. Kid who lacks any control over his own life looks for something he can control, and in Hayato's case it's Mitsumune. It's text book psychology.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:
Nearly everyone in this story is an inhuman...

Quote:
we learned Hayato's relationship with Mitsumune was based on a backstory roughly as believable as Lovepon's

... I guess parents abusing their children doesn't happen in Nick's universe either. Maybe you didn't find his backstory particularly affecting, but stuff like that happens in the real world. The parents want to fit into their rich community, forces son to behave appropriately and punishes him when he doesn't. Kid who lacks any control over his own life looks for something he can control, and in Hayato's case it's Mitsumune. It's text book psychology.

Nah, for once, I'm with Nick on this. Don't get me wrong, anime can do abuse right sometimes (see Kayo from ERASED; for all its other faults, that part never rang false), but in this case, we just hear it and get a few short, not very engaging snippets. Lovepon and Cat-girl's backstories at least had the decency to build up to some kind of emotional pay off and/or investment, but Hayato's seemed content to stay mostly in the present, for some odd reason. It did a very poor job of trying to get us to care, even by this show's very, very low standards.

On the plus side, looks like "Everybody gets therapy and goes home" is going to pay off! Part of me wonders if Valkana is going to be one of the last to go, seeing as how he repeatedly states how content he is with the idea of staying in Nanaki Village. Also, Masaki, why so shady? D:

I do feel that this episode seemed to largely wind down from the high-energy random bus crash from before; this felt like a largely low-key episode.

Ending predictions: Reiji is the mastermind behind the Judgeness and Jack attacks, and he's somehow tied to the monster-bear. Masaki will have to learn to let him go, and that's her cross to bear.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
[...] although all credit goes to the translator on that one.

"Boo freaking hoo" Laughing Laughing
Made me rewind a few seconds back, just to make sure.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
I thought the tunnel had train tracks running into it. Now it doesn't.

Is anything real?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12