• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Battery the Animation (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
Episode 11 (Finale)

So it has finished, without really much in the way of closure. You know, I could deal with things like slow pacing and quite drama that it seemed to have, but I think the show in general kind of lack much in the way of focus. And the strange way it did focus I think affected how it can be watched. Takumi was naturally talented and quite arrogant, it is only natural to think the story was a lot about how he needed to appreciate others more and be more humble, from comments it is what I think most people saw, but I saw a lot of it as different.

Takumi is skilled, and baseball is kind of really important to him, it is one of the things he has real confidence in himself, and to others that looks like arrogance. He is not actually so hot headed that he does not listen to others, he talks to and takes advice from his grandfather on what would be the healthiest thing to do, try and have fun with the game, and brings friendship of a person he meets into the game. Fun with baseball as well as being a good brother and friend is sabotaged by adults who guilt him to saying he is a bad person and has to discourage them, where he comes out the bad guy either way. His mother later his assumption that he can just play as arrogance that he does not appreciate her input, but she should know that the sport is important to him.

His confidence in his ability and role in the sport are again treated as disrespect by his coach who tries to force him cut his hair short, for no other reason than to teach him who is boss because he thinks that his attitude is a sign of being uncooperative. This is incorrect because he actually does listen, he simply refuses a pointless order because it contradicts another thing he was told, to enjoy the game. And he really has got the ability to back up his confidence in that he has surpassed his seniors. His seniors assault him over frustration that he is not playing by the same system that they are, the one created by people like the coach, and which feel like they deserve for reasons, and for pressures not unlike that which has Gou's mother trying to get him to quit in the first place. We also got the students from the other school, where one pretty much stirs up trouble and does other various things out of feeling inferior.

I feel like it is the system that is in full display in Battery, where things like a humble nature, special benefits for seniors, and a domination to authority figures are placed as attractive elements because these are seen as keeping the peace. But really these are elements are kind of wrong. A focus on humble natures in essence punishes those with talents, special benefits to seniors creates inequality which is also felt because of the inherent abuse and an uneven retaliation, and a domination of authority figures creates weird worship which ignores that they are people and abuse of power when one reaches that position. A similar things comes with friendship, where a focus on traits like appearing selfless and good natured can trump actual respect. Gou feels like Takumi's awkward behaviour is a lack of respect, especially when it comes to Takumi underperforming when taking into consideration his ability, thinking that he is being looked down on. But with the other pair, princess guy feels inferior to his skilled friend , not just through his skill but his general honest behaviour, and it kind of has him act like a jerk by taking his honest behaviour instead as a sense of obliviousness, and which creates a somewhat socially acceptable way to bully him, despite the fact he is still being a jerk.

Kind of all of those things are fine, but there is a real lack of focus that could have someone interpret them the total opposite way, which even if it was kind of intentional, there does not seem to be a big deal in the way of closure to it all. People just stop nagging Takumi, the coach just stops harassing him, the seniors leave while calling the break from the unfair system as bullshit, Gou gets pointed out some hypocrisy in his actions, and princess guy cuts the crap and says that he hates his friend and that it is not actually his friend's fault. If the events even have closure, it happens so nonchalantly that it is tough to even take away a message. But aside from that the plot is just slow, it is hard to gage where the high points are, music, art, and animation are nothing really big to take, and it kind of just ends. While some have a problem with the attitude of the main character, I kind of have a problem with most others. We also seemed to have a plot point that the grandfather might be a victim to his old age, but nothing really came from it.

I give a rating of So-so (5/10). While some people might think of it as good from its soft art and slow pacing, I instead see it as trying too hard and riding too much on looking profound, without going all the way to actually be so. Perhaps some sort of narration could have helped, but as it is it really did not grab my attention.
LordMaou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:19 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 11 (Finale)

I actually hadn't paid attention to the episode count of what it was supposed to end at. But had watched the newest episode and just came here to read what people had posted. Saw you say Finale. And I was like "wait what" and went to check to see if it was indeed the last episode. Which it was.

This being the end of the series seems meh to me. While I did enjoy watching it for the progression of the story was going, with this being the finale it doesn't seem like anything was really resolved. As they said in the episode Takumi and Go still aren't that great of a battery, Takumi still has issues with his control when throwing at high speeds, After the credits when it sounds like a hit of the ball off the bat makes it seem like he hit the ball, with right before the credits here Go say Takumi as the final line.

Perhaps I am wanting too much of an Ace of Diamond feel from the series where the team actually grows and progresses together. Just feels like with it being a baseball anime that there wasn't as much baseball in it. They meet up in uniforms at practice, doesn't really show much of the practice, have Takumi throw the ball a few times here and there throughout the series, current coach meets up with old coach, they do a mock game that lasts 4 batters, they do another mock game that lasts for 4 batters one side, then 3 on another, they throw a few balls at a park. I probably went into it thinking it was supposed to be a baseball anime though, and it was more of a drama series. Checking it now, since never did before, ANN has it listed as :
"Genres: drama, tournament
Themes: baseball
Objectionable content: Significant"
Guessing the "Objectionable content" is the hazing? Don't see much tournament in it though as a genre. Since they didn't go to a tournament.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2