• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Former Ghibli Producer: Women Too 'Realistic' to Direct Fantasy Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
"People grumble in response to thing they don't like" isn't much of a story, and all I'm seeing is grumbling and not one attempt to disprove his statement.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
FloozyGod wrote:
Lol the one journalist countered his comment with the Female directors of Michiko to Hatchin and Oregairu. Those are both realistic shows, and that's what Ghibli producer said women were good at.

Not that I agree with his comments but you're right. That was a poor way to counter his argument lmao.
Tigercml

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Someone said something that hurt my feelings. Quick, everyone run to twitter.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
"People grumble in response to thing they don't like" isn't much of a story, and all I'm seeing is grumbling and not one attempt to disprove his statement.

It has something to due with a cultural issue is that Nishimura probably doesn't contact enough, if any, Woman that write out fantasy based narratives, and likely has a falsely created sense that because there aren't many woman in the industry making big named fantasy productions then circumstantially woman can't write fantasy storylines.

In a way it is partially his fault for ignorance and his societies fault for stemming away woman from writing up fantasy settings, even if it might be "true" according to Nishimura that woman see the world with a more realistic sense that doesn't mean it is impossible for a woman to write out a storyline with fantasy elements that a wide audience can appreciate.

Last edited by FenixFiesta on Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
sillyriri

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Ghibli has made films based on Earthsea, The Borrowers, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Howl's Moving Castle, all of which are fantasy written by women.

But sure, women are too realistic for good fantasy. They obviously can't write it, and there's no way they could direct a film based on it. Rolling Eyes
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Ah, that good old fashioned Japanese sexism. Grumpy old animators stay grumpy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
stilldemented

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Ah. A sensitive subject.

It's a weird but amusing time to be sure. I often find myself sincerely contemplating the best way to express myself without offending someone. It's difficult, because rarely do I find myself taking offense to anything. Yet every word must be measured because people seem much quicker recently to jump down someone's throat for a word out of turn.

The subject doesn't really matter. Sex. Religion. Politics. Criticism. It's always the same topics that usually causes blood to boil.

There will always be that one guy who takes something a tad too seriously.

The internet is a really good instrument to grate on other's nerves. Without intonation, interpretation of words are usually in extremes of positive/negative. Also people who are neutral/indifferent on subjects have no real reason to share their thoughts as they have no foot in either door.

The result tends to be that views go unchallenged, or, when challenged, the disdain is so loud or vitriolic that it can't be taken seriously. So people more often settle into their own echo chambers.

Because of that, I sometimes believe that the internet isn't a great place for an artist. You really have to know what you need on a personal level in order to benefit from any feedback.

At any rate, I don't want to add any more fuel to any sort of propaganda. Every human being comes to certain conclusions about certain things for certain reasons. The Ghibli dude is no different.

I try not to let this sort of jazz bother me, so it's always a bit surprising when I see headlines about the newest thing that bothered someone somewhere. Or maybe I'm a little warped for finding it entertaining.

This is a hard topic to discuss without stomping on toes along the way. So thanks for having written an interesting Interests piece and thanks in advance to all the moderators who will be keeping an eye on things. Smile

Last edited by stilldemented on Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Considering how much fantasy media is created by women, this is obviously just a sexist dude being sexist. Much like a lot of the commenters. Especially OP.
Momokochan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
The dude does know that The Borrowers, Howl's Moving Castle, Earthsea, Kiki's Delivery Service were originally written by women right? they KNOW THAT RIGHT? smh
FMLA was written by a woman, he should know that, because he works in the anime industry!

Women and Men are equally capable of writing and directing fantasy and realism oh my good god the worst part is the ignorance of their own movies i can't

Last edited by Momokochan on Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
partially

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Well he isn't strictly incorrect. IN JAPAN. I have noticed a trend where Japanese women creators tend to do more realistic fantasy there, and otherwise seem to avoid the genre. However I think that is probably a product that there are so few women involved, and the ones that are, are a small number that err towards realism. And he doesn't word it in the text anywhere near as badly as the headline:
Quote:
Women tend to be more realistic and manage day-to-day lives very well. Men on the other hand tend to be more idealistic – and fantasy films need that idealistic approach. I don't think it's a coincidence men are picked.

He just notes there is a tendency. And he certainly never says woman are too 'realistic'. It still has a whiff of sexism of course though. And there are a ton of western women who do fantastical fantasy, in fact I tend to find the female writers are often better at it! Razz

Last edited by partially on Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
DrApplebox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
A Japanese man said something sexist? Shocking.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
FloozyGod wrote:
Lol the one journalist countered his comment with the Female directors of Michiko to Hatchin and Oregairu. Those are both realistic shows, and that's what Ghibli producer said women were good at.

Would it be accurate to say that Michiko to Hatchin is effectively Cowboy Bebop on land?
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:37 pm Reply with quote
To add to what others have said, male directors have also made countless realistic films that were critically lauded and/or financially successful. You don't see women vastly outnumbering men in directorial positions for these works. The statement implies that they don't hire many women directors because males are better with their story types, but it's not like the opposite is true in the live action industry...

And this doesn't even take into account how prominent women are in writing fantasy literature. You might not see a lot of female directors, but--and I'm not expert here, so perhaps I'm wrong--the film industry seems pretty male dominated when it comes to directors of big films. Women might just get attached to smaller projects and get less of a chance to work with hard fantasy. Look harder, though, and you'll see novels, films, comics, artwork and all manner of stories, fantasy and realistic, written by men and women. Besides, things are slowly but surely changing as women get more of an opportunity to enter the film industry as directors.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
It's almost as if the japanese animation industry is rooted in sexism that only increases as the years go by... hmm... what a mystery!

I guess he didn't have any malicious attitudes. But man is it just indicative of the general lack of female work in anime.

It also falls into the common fallacy of "[x minority] isn't doing this, therefore they don't want to do it". i'm sure there are tons of women who would love to direct if given the chance, but almost every director right now is a man, so it's a lot harder to get into the industry. obviously.

Last edited by Arale Kurashiki on Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I always thought it was the other way around, but as I got older, I got more idealistic.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9