• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bryn Apprill, Eric Vale Star in Funimation's Broadcast Dub Cast for First Love Monster Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:47 am Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
Is there sexual stuff in the show?...Just surprised to see this kind of universal reaction when much worse (sexual content wise, not talking about good/bad) loli themed animes exist and don't seen to get anywhere near this universal comments. But like I said in my original comment if it ends up getting very sexual then I concede haha

The sexual stuff from episode 1 are sex jokes (directed at female otaku fans, I assume) that to me seemed lame and overplayed. I doubt the sex jokes are going to ever go into any reprehensible territory, but they (the sex jokes) seem to be the sole premise of the show. I was not offended by the show in general, but it did not work for me.

And I apologize for editing your post; I did it to focus on what I can answer.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of those weird people that love older woman/younger guy pairings, but this had even me backing away with my hands raised. Its biggest problem, I think, is that it's a comedy that's not funny so you're just left with a painful show about a very stupid 17 year old dating a 12 year old, and the show never addresses how creepy that is. (At least not in the whole episode I managed to watch)
Also I feel there's a huge difference between an 17 year old girl who looks 12 and a 12 year old who looks 17 being sexualized. I don't like the former but it's not technically crossing any creeper lines.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:43 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
I REALLY don't understand this extreme negative reaction. Having not seen this show yet/having read the description and doing some googleing as well as sampling some of the 1st episode on Funi this supposed "Fifth grader" actually looks and sounds like an ADULT and I saw no sexual content so what exactly is the source of the outrage? because he's supposedly a "Fifth grader"? To that I say there are TONS and TONS of shows out there with young girls who look and sound sub 10 years old in which there is plenty of sexual content/situations usually always involving a much older male character and sure there are complaints by some people but no where close to this universal "outrage".... seems like an extreme overreaction/double standard because its "Shota" and not "loli" If the series in turn goes that route and he is in fact is a 5th grader and extreme sexual situations happen then I'll concede to others who find it "disgusting" just as I would in the loli situation but this just seems a whole lot like the Free situation with a bunch of men calling a show disgusting because it's more targeted at a female audience and not them.... (Of course I'm not saying only men can find this show unappealing)

What are you talking about? Kodomo No Jikan was licensed and then pulled do to backlash. Lets not forget whole bunny drops ending in the manga, which I guess was also partly incest related. Oh and how about the exact same case gender switched ie Ryo Ko Bo, and the outrage that caused. There is no double standard here, most of the or a lot of the shows when its a young female and older is blasted, we didn't even get any of those shows in the US except for bunny drops and the anime didn't even get to the controversial section.

Honestly Ryo Ko Bo is honestly more tame because the Main Character is a high schooler and the main heroine is a middle schooler. Here its a high school girl with a elementary school kid. Not to mention there is nothing explicit in it, and it almost comes off as more one sided crush.

Also the fact that they look adult is actually worse because they act like little kids, Kodomo no Jikan actually explores this issue in a much more realistic way where one of the girls looks older because she developed faster, and don't play it off as comedy.

Personally I don't have an issue with this show, its not my cup of tea, Id rather watch something like Inu Boko if I want sheltered rich girl plus dashing hero boyfriend; but don't act like this show is somehow being unjustly targeted. If anything based on the fact its getting a US release and dubbed, its getting pretty lenient treatment compared to most other shows in its demographic.

The only show I can think of that really gets a pass is Dance in the Vampire Bund, but that's ungodly ironic because although it appears to be high school student with little girl, its actually very old lady wife husbandry a person she basically raised from a baby.

edit: Apparently the girls in Ryo Ko Bo are in the fifth grade, so I guess last year of elementary school.

Last edited by CrownKlown on Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sobe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Lol, this should be VERY interesting. The Japanese version already pushes the envelope. Twisted Evil Bring on the fighting fire with fire. Very Happy It's about time we get some ammo to fight back against all of the hentai anime the straight guys get.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
I like seeing series like this get licensed and dubbed just to watch the tightwads cringe and complain. Even reading this thread is highly amusing due to the clear bias coming from certain individuals. I've seen the first two episodes of First Love Monster and while its no masterpiece it's made me chuckle a few times. Different strokes for different folks and all.
BlueOla

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
I like seeing series like this get licensed and dubbed just to watch the tightwads cringe and complain. Even reading this thread is highly amusing due to the clear bias coming from certain individuals. I've seen the first two episodes of First Love Monster and while its no masterpiece it's made me chuckle a few times. Different strokes for different folks and all.

Yeah, I must agree here. People have nothing better to be offended by these days, so they get offended by fictional relationships. Laughing

I'm not saying this is a great anime, not even that great of a comedy, but it's just a parody of all those silly anime tropes. And yeah, there's tons upon tons of awkward sexual humor, but that's the sort of show it is - somewhat cringey play-pretend romance comedy. And I'd argue about the "romance" because the mains aren't even properly dating and it's mostly played off as a joke (which it, of course is). It's a silly show from the very premise, I don't know what y'all were expecting. xD

I feel like some people these days just need to find something "controversial" and bash it into the ground for some odd sense of satisfaction? Well, do as you see fit, it's fun seeing your SocJusWar instincts in action (because there's really no other way to call it).

Mind you, I'm not saying that you can't dislike it - I'm not a huge fan and it also slightly creeps me out at times, but at least I'm not blowing it out of proportion as though it's some huge global issue.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:53 am Reply with quote
But when it's Hentai and ecchi nobody will complain about it heck they will not even complain if a girl/loli is being verbally abused as a subject of a lewd fanservice, as long as it's boobs its fine but if it's shoujo everybody will always lose their minds.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:18 am Reply with quote
Akamaru_Inu wrote:
I feel so bad for those VAs. I mean, a job's a job and they've probably done much worse before, but good lord this was one of the worst things (in more ways than one) I've ever watched.

Well I also felt bad for those voice actresses who did the Maken Ki Ulti boob show Dub and that lesbian show called Cross Ange where the girl gets literally raped ofcourse nobody complains because its ecchi and its for the male audience, kudos to them...you know how embarrasing those lines were but this "Love Monster" is not even that sexually extreme, its just plain silly and was made for some parody kicks... not to be taken serious yet some people are leveling them to FBI level.... so others has the right to enjoy their boob grab cup of tea while the girls aren't?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:36 am Reply with quote
While I am not following the series, 20-year-old Bryn might be more vocally convincing at playing a high school girl than a nearly 40-year-old Yui Horie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2