• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Go Developer to Fix Bugs That Make Pokémon Harder to Catch

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Personally I feel they must have fixed the bug. I noticed its was getting harder & harder to catch Pokemon or they would escape from the ball and dash away after one throw (which really pissed me off) but today catching Pokemon was much smoother.

And yeah making Pokemon harder to catch upset me more than no tracking. I barely got to use the tracking anyways so I can't say I missed it that much. Although sometimes when see a Pokemon I really want on the nearby screen it would be nice to know if it really is close. Otherwise it's just not worth the effort to go look for it since it usually ends in disappointment.

However if I finally saw a rare Pokemon I really wanted and I lost it because Niantic made it harder to catch yes that would upset me especially since who knows when or if you will see that Pokemon again.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:49 am Reply with quote
Yeah there are a lot of problems with Pokémon Go and although Niantic has tried to fix some of the bugs new ones just keep popping up. Also what I hate the most is that you have to walk like five times the distance just to hatch an egg. Evil or Very Mad
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:26 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
I don't think Niantic imagined the game would take off as much as it has and now they're trying to cash in a bit more by making people waste Poké Balls so they will buy them from the store. As a result (and also due to the tracking issue), the game's ratings plummeted and users are dropping off left and right.

While I'm of course posting my own speculation, I think the issue would have been publicly addressed more quickly were it really a bug. The fact that it took them 2-3 days leads me to believe that they thought they could ignore it at first but then the voices became louder and more abundant.

(Please excuse any typos as I'm typing on my phone.)

I see what you mean, and I understand your logic. That must have correlated with the increase in cases where I'm hearing people grumbling about replenishing at PokéStops.

That being said, I still stand by my stance that it was a bug, Niantic didn't intend for it to be that difficult to catch Pokémon, and that the slow response is just due to Niantic still being a small company. (Some small companies canreact to problems lightning fast, while some others are slow as molasses. It all depends on how they're structured, namely if there's someone on hand to receive complaints and concerns. I don't think Niantic has one, but they might have one now.) Pokémon GO is such a huge moneymaker for Niantic that they really didn't need to change anything. I think they knew they had a winning formula and wouldn't want to upset that.

meruru wrote:
Any way you look it, Niantic's dropped the ball (Hur.)

Either they made these changes intentionally, realized people hated them, then pretended they were bugs instead, or they released a build with a super obvious bug, which is a big no no in any type of software development.

It's very common in mobile gaming, however, due to its more grassroots nature compared to console or PC gaming. Combined with Niantic being a new company, Pokémon GO being only its second project, I can see huge bugs popping up in it.

meruru wrote:
While I agree that surely it wasn't ACTUALLY intentional, the alternative is their QA process sucks. Being a small company isn't an excuse for that. My company is small, but I'm confident we'd notice an obvious bug like nice/great bonuses no longer working as it's 100 percent repro and really freaking simple to repro.

When you're talking about small companies, particularly those that create software, like games, quality checking might not be something that's that high a priority on their minds, they might not know how to test a game properly, or they may not have the resources to dedicate someone purely to testing (and thus they'll have someone with in-depth knowledge of the game testig for bugs, which is bad). Sounds like you have a very efficiently run small company, but most small companies are not run by people who have that level of business sense.

Farsight Studios's games for Android, for instance, continues to freeze, crash, run at double, triple, or even quadruple speed, load textures improperly, or experience huge slowdown five years after they were founded. That being said, it's inconsistent between different Android devices. I can tell because Farsight Studios makes all of its bug reports public. That is, they show every bug report everyone's written to them. Actually, Farsight is an incredibly open company as to what it does (and it hasits own podcast), and I know they have one person who both ports games to Android and tests the Android version (they are built with PS3 in mind but meant for mobile--the reason for this is because most of the core team likes the PS3/PS4 the most but knows their games sell best on iOS and Android). They have a public relations person who works largely independently of the rest of the team, who seems to genuinely try to calm angry consumers down but gets ignored by the rest of Farsight most of the time. But overall, it is pretty evident to me that Farsight is really not all that interested in fixing bugs and glitches, but more concerned with releasing more games and more content. They're too busy zooming forward to dedicate much time to even trying to reproduce some of these reported issues.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2