• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lucky Star Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:

If Lucky Star's style of humor is not your taste, just say that it isn't your taste; please don't pass that off as the absolute truth. Even boobies&underpants anime get more serious "if you like this genre, here is how it compares to others in it" reviews. This review didn't even mention Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star's closest and most famous predecessor.

As I said in my post, its closest anime comparison is Doki Doki School Hours but I rate that one higher because it has a clear passage of time for its "slice of life" component and a little more punch to its "unhumor". But Azumanga Daioh? That one's complete with gags, set-ups, characters arcs and plot. Why anyone would compare that to Lucky Star -beyond "Lucky Star should be more like this by having these things"-is rather unfair.

To Lucky Star. No, really; That's not what they were aiming for, otherwise they would have had characters rather than characteristics. Lucky Star characters can not change which is anti "slice of life". They even point it out by making sure Konata can't grow as either a person or as a character.

Now I'm going to have to look so if if I described as one.
I didn't because I never thought of it as one. It's too aware of itself as an anime to be a real slice of life series. In my opinion, of course.

I do think of it as a "cute girls doing things" series... wait, no I don't. An otaku reference series that tries too hard to deconstruct its comedy? That's it!! Humor may be subjective but when a comedy spends more time taking jokes apart rather than telling them, something went wrong.

Hmm. If any anime series needed the benefit of a laugh track, this is the one.

"I call it the relative bowl." [ha ha ha]
braket

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
I can see where Lucky Star isn't for everyone. It's like watching 22 minutes of Seinfeld

you are aware that every episode of Seinfeld's nine seasons ran for ~23 minutes, right
TheMorry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Anyone can explain this: How can a dub and sub who were both rated as B+ become D+ but yet the dub is called "solid" in the review? I only saw 2 episodes so far of Lucky Star, i picked up the DVD a few months ago from madman (Aus). I think the dub deserves more credit then a D+...
ralphyman

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Are you kidding? I loved this show!
Whomst

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
TheMorry wrote:
Anyone can explain this: How can a dub and sub who were both rated as B+ become D+ but yet the dub is called "solid" in the review? I only saw 2 episodes so far of Lucky Star, i picked up the DVD a few months ago from madman (Aus). I think the dub deserves more credit then a D+...

That section says "OVERALL dub" right? meaning the grade for the overall series if watched dubbed.
Same grade as the Overall Sub section means that the dub is solid enough to not worsen the material.

A solid dub for an overall bad show.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
My gosh, all of you are sheeps!
This show always mostly have good critics and reviews, but this Nick Creamer guy hates it all of a sudden it seems nobody likes it either.

I really wouldn't say that people are hating it now from being followers. Personally, I also didn't really like it that much when it came out. I bought all of the DVD singles and ended up eventually selling them on eBay. As a big fan of Haruhi and Azumanga Daioh, I felt that this would be an obvious series for me to love. However, I was left with a very underwhelming experience. I understood the references well enough, but that alone didn't make the series funny to me and I didn't find most of the characters particularly charming. Now, the second half of the series lifted the series up a bit when they had more focus on side characters, but overall it wasn't all that great to me.

If anything, I feel that myself and maybe others were being "sheeps" the other way around. With all of the mass popularity that was going on at the time of its initial release, it was hard to speak out about the show. I kept feeling like maybe there was something wrong with my tastes, especially when an old roommate of mine was absolutely nuts about the show. So I was mostly quiet about it, considered it a mostly-alright show (again, the side characters in the second half did make it kind of enjoyable), but aside from writing an entry nearly six years ago in a blog that almost no one reads, I never publicly talked much about my disappointment. But hey, maybe that's just me.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh man I'm with the reviewer on this one. I tried to watch it back when it was the hip new thing and was bored out of my skull. I just assumed it was some otaku thing I couldn't ever understand and never went back. Watching a girl eat a chocolate bun while her friends made small talk about the bun was not the height of comedic gold for me. It more reminded me of people who aren't very close awkwardly groping to find things to talk about to fill an awkward silence.

Did always like the opening though. It was cute.
WingKing

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
I seem to recall Zac saying somewhere that he doesn't want reviewers saying "In my opinion" or the like for those very reasons. Basically, it should be understood that these are only ever that particular reviewer's opinion and never meant to be the final verdict. A show might get its own review article, and then get an entirely different one on something like Shelf Life. If they were actually presenting reviews as being objective, there would be no reason to allow more than just one review.

As far as I can tell, 99% of the time the people who want a reviewer to qualify a review with "just my opinion" are either people who disagree with that review, or people who don't really understand the purpose of reviews in the first place. Reading film and television reviews has been an odd little hobby of mine ever since I was a kid, and I still have a habit of looking for at least two positive and two negative reviews of any film that I'm on the fence about watching. Thing is, what I always want to get most out of those reviews isn't the overall grade, it's specific information from the critics about what they liked and didn't like about the film. Because I already know my own tastes, so I can compare their reactions to how I think I'm likely to react to the same things, and that helps me make an informed decision about whether I'm probably going to enjoy that movie or not.

In short: I have no complaints about ANN's staff avoiding the "opinion" word (since it should be a given that any review is the reviewer's opinion without needing to be spelled out), but it would be nice to see more reviews of a show from multiple perspectives sometimes. The preview guides are great in that regard, but I'm thinking more about instances where the same person who did weekly episode reviews also writes the full series review at the end of the season - that's a great opportunity to provide a second opinion here on site by getting someone else to write the second review, instead of me having to wait and see if another site like THEMAnime or Nihon Review eventually posts their own review of the series to get my second opinion.

As far as Lucky Star itself goes, I haven't seen it, but I read the first volume of the manga earlier this year and frankly didn't enjoy it much - I didn't think it was very funny, and I got much the same feel from reading it as what Nick described watching the show to be like. Now that doesn't automatically mean I wouldn't like the show, since I wasn't a big fan of K-On! (the manga) either, but I loved K-On! (the anime), but if Lucky Star is as similar to its manga in its tone and structure as the way he describes it, then I'm guessing it's not for me.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:36 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
As far as Lucky Star itself goes, I haven't seen it, but I read the first volume of the manga earlier this year and frankly didn't enjoy it much - I didn't think it was very funny, and I got much the same feel from reading it as what Nick described watching the show to be like. Now that doesn't automatically mean I wouldn't like the show, since I wasn't a big fan of K-On! (the manga) either, but I loved K-On! (the anime), but if Lucky Star is as similar to its manga in its tone and structure as the way he describes it, then I'm guessing it's not for me.
After the first few episodes, the show turns up the wackiness a bit and throws in way more references than the manga ever had. I personally think the manga's better than the anime(though it takes a couple of volumes to hit its stride), but I can understand how its 'rest stop' feel might not be for everyone.
Omu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Always interesting to see how opinions can differ when it comes to humour. For me Lucky Star still is one, if not the best Cute Girls doing Cute Things humorous SoL-show. Maybe it's true that its humour was a product of its time but since that time was also my time I*ve got no problem with that Wink Actually there aren't that many KyoAni shows that I like (Most of the time KyoAni shows have great production values but a shitty story and too dumb characters) but Lucky Star is one of the very few where I would say that it really shows what difference an able studio can make.

On another note, it seems that I can finally begin to completely ignore Nick Creamers reviews. I think he was the author of all the ANN reviews I absolutely could not agree with this year. Most infamously his review to The Lost Village/Mayoiga.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
I definitely agree that this series was a product of its time: a much calmer alternative to J.C. Staff's frankly over-the-top Azumanga Daioh adaptation, whose success really opened up more "mainstream" western anime fans to slice of life shows. At the time, there really wasn't much slice of life being sold at Best Buy or other big box retailers. If anime wasn't your primary hobby, then you might not have been too aware of shows beyond what was broadcasted on Toonami and FunimationChannel. Viewed in that context, Lucky Star was a breath of fresh air for a lot of anime fans who wanted to know "what's next after Haruhi?"

Now, however, there are a ton of commercially-available slice of life shows, and people are much more inclined to try out lesser-known stuff through online streaming and RightStuf. US anime companies have done a great job filling out their back catalogues with older slice of life shows, many of which have held up a lot better over time than Lucky Star. In that sense, Lucky Star is very similar to shows like Haruhi and Code Geass: if you weren't around during the show's heyday, it's hard to see what the big deal is, and you're much more inclined to reach for something like Yuyushiki or Kiniro Mosaic if you want to watch some slice of life comedy.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
My gosh, all of you are sheeps!
This show always mostly have good critics and reviews, but this Nick Creamer guy hates it all of a sudden it seems nobody likes it either.

And also...
Quote:
As someone who never found this show funny I apprishiate

Laughing

the show did not really age well, for my it's like hokuto no ken, it was great abck in the 80s but nowadays, everything it did has either been done better or it's completely overdone so it can't really compete with new shows.
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
I re-watched the show about a year ago and enjoyed it even more than the first time. For me, it's still one of my all time favourites.
NobleKind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I haven't read much of Nick's stuff but his metaphors make me want to change that.
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:43 pm Reply with quote
For some reason humor anime rarely ages well. I thought Dragon Half was the shit when I was younger, went back to it a few months ago and realized it was nothing but everyone screaming for 40 minutes.
I feel Lucky Star is the same for a lot of fans, but replace *screaming* with pop culture references.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7