• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Guardians of the Galaxy, Gravity Falls Writers in Talks for Live-Action Pokémon Film

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:52 pm Reply with quote
There goes the little hope I had for this movie, bad writers ruining a cherished franchise that has had declining literary value over the years.
Deoxy360

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
There goes the little hope I had for this movie, bad writers ruining a cherished franchise that has had declining literary value over the years.

I guess you didn't enjoy Guardians of the galaxy? But if they're making this movie like detective pikachu, then I think these writers are somewhat well suited for the role.
CrimsonDX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
No, just no. Pokemon does not need a crappy live-action version.
BinBouGami1234

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I think Gravity Falls and Guardians of the Galaxy are both great, so this increases my hope in the movie, even though I think making it about Detective Pikachu is still a really bad call.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I think this makes the movie have good potential. Interested in seeing the execution of this.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Alex Hirsch? Seriously? Somebody, pinch me, this has to be fake. Well, I'm more optimistic but that's it.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Gaurdians of the Galaxy is one thing, but I can put some trust in Alex Hirsh to make something that dosen't suck balls and actually be good. Plus he seems like he's at least a fan of Gen 1 which, while instilling some worries, is a bit better than "Ugh what are these, poe-key-mayn, things I gotta write about? Gotta pay the lights with something..."
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Man to the writer who gets stuck with this job; good luck, you're gonna have to pull a miracle out of your butt to make this work.

I watch with high interest and low expectations.
Sobe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:29 pm Reply with quote
PLEASE give Dragonball Z live action a run for its money.

We all know if anyone can pull off comedy twisted with parody, it's live action movies. Twisted Evil

Come on, tell me some of you aren't interested in how bad or good it actually can be. I really hope they actually get around to producing it. It'd be sad if it got cancelled half way through because they were scared it'd be another Dragonball Z.

I'm laughing my ass of right now too. Twisted Evil You can ALWAYS count on the parodies.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
On the plus side, this increases the chances of getting Danny DeVito to voice Det. Pikachu.
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I have medium hopes for this movie now.

L mxvw krsh lw'v qrw jrlqj wr eh iloohg zlwk flskhuv Vfbwkhuv.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Please not Ash. Please Not Ash. Please Not Ash! PLEASE NOT ASH! PLEASE NOT ASH!!!!!
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this can stop
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:57 pm Reply with quote
BinBouGami1234 wrote:
I think Gravity Falls and Guardians of the Galaxy are both great, so this increases my hope in the movie, even though I think making it about Detective Pikachu is still a really bad call.

I really think that's the only way it can be done and done well. If you try to do the anime it's not going to work very well, if you try to do the first games (Green, Red, Blue, Yellow - granted that's loosely based on the anime already) then you run into a Pokemon the Origin problem where it's a squeezed down adaptation.

The traditional trainer journey just lends itself far better to serialized story telling than something like Detective Pikachu can lend itself to a stand alone film.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Deoxy360 wrote:
Яeverse wrote:

I guess you didn't enjoy Guardians of the galaxy? But if they're making this movie like detective pikachu, then I think these writers are somewhat well suited for the role.

In addition, It'd say Gravity Falls is one of the best written shows on TV I've seen, period. Their humor is sharp and the details are meticulous. I think Alex Hirsch will allow Detective Pikachu to have the tongue-in-cheek, self-mocking tone it needs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4