• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Can't Anime Use Trademarked Names?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sparvid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Lawson was a sponsor/co-producer of Natsuiro Kiseki, so of course the characters shopped at an actual store:

Mamo-chan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Who remembers the budweiser can in Macross DYRL? Smile
DAngel17

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:38 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
Yowamushi Pedal made their own versions of Pepsi and Coca Cola, but I don't remember now what they were.

Bepsi was one of the versions they used in the anime .
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I remember Benny's from the A Certain series of course they also had some real product placement in the series too. Laughing
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I have noticed that manga, regardless of it's age in terms of it being something recent or a more classic series, tends to have more blatant trademark infringement than anime does. Prime examples are series that are based on sports or similar, which often rely on allusions to actual products or brands such as sports equipment and sponsors.

Capeta, a series about a young kid's aspiration to drive in Formula One is a good example. The manga-ka uses a lot of actual Formula One references for the covers and key artwork, but when this series became animated a lot of this toned down and everything is given faux logos or designations.

Some of the other driving series like Wangan Midnight and Initial D have more mentions of things like tuners and aftermarket parts more so in their manga than they do in their respective anime counterparts.

However there are some series that are more blatant displayed in animated form. Bakuon!! (the anime about motorcycles) comes to mind as a recent example, and it uses pretty much every type of product brand without changing or obscuring anything.

Still though indeed unless the brand is portrayed negatively as the root I don't really see why a particular brand or similar would be upset that their material shows up in something like manga or anime. Ultimately it's free advertisement.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:33 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
... My question is--why don't they just make up their own brand names for products that characters use? ...
Well, the Rewrite (VN by Key) anime prominently featured "Key" canned coffee using the actual Key logo. As for other non-products, Please! Teacher featured Pochy and a car that was obviously a Mazda Miata with a very similar-looking logo, Please! Twins featured Prech and Miss Moreno had a Conon camera. Then there are actual products: Raxephon had Ramune complete with bottle (I think deliberate), FLCL had Haruko's famous Vespa scooter by name as well.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:14 am Reply with quote
Speaking of Ramune, I wonder how many deals had to be made for all the candies in Dagashi Kashi?
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
Gari-Gari kun, a well known popsicle brand in Japan, often features itself in anime. Anohana and Blue Exorcist pop to mind where it shows up. They may change the name to some variation of it, but the iconic big mouthed kid still is in the packaging.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:53 am Reply with quote
Violynne wrote:
Trademarks are only for products and slogans and must be attached to a product or service. This means, by definition, they cannot be "intellectual property" (a term I wish everyone would stop using).

By definition, "intellectual property" doesn't exist. For starters, none of it it property. Secondly, IP is a non-technical catch-all term that envelops several completely different legal vehicles for securing limited monopolies. It has no technical definition, but most people consider trademarks as one of the 3 primary categories of IP (along with copyright and trademark).

If you need further proof that most people consider Trademarks to be a form of IP, try google, or wikipedia, or talk to a lawyer (funny thing, on a totally unrelated matter, I was speaking with a patent lawyer in Shanghai this morning, and we were bemoaning how horrible IP ENFORCEMENT, PARTICULARLY TRADEMARKS AND COPYRIGHT is in China. She (the lawyer) referred to trademarks as IP).

Also, WIPO, the world IP organization, defines IP as "blah blah blah such as eg, eg, eg and symbols, names and images used in commerce." http://www.wipo.int/about-ip/en/

So yeah, while I wish Justin wouldn't even use the term, if he's going to use it, he's using it just fine.

But yes, we do agree on the fact that the term IP should be forever banished from popular vocabulary.

In regards to your second point, that you can't get sued for including a trademark in a film/anime... read this: http://www.scriptmag.com/features/legally-speaking-depends-trademarks-film

Just because you have a copy-left leaning (as do I), doesn't mean you should be making false claims about how laws are currently viewed, enforced and applied in our litigious society. The real world, and how you believe the world should be, are two different places.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:18 am Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
But yes, we do agree on the fact that the term IP should be forever banished from popular vocabulary.

I don't disagree, but unless copyright, trademarks and patents are outlawed worldwide*, or a different handy catch-all term for all of the above takes over, it ain't gonna happen.

*I am in favour of this happening. I don't seriously expect it, though.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:17 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
At least in the USA, there might not be as much an issue if it became a generic trademark.

not quite. i'm afraid when it comes to generic names, they (the US trademark committee & Hollywood) will be extremely bitchy about it which is why anime in general are way too scared to even use them at all.

Quote:
Trademarks supposed to be unique, and can't be too similar to already-existing generic names or commonly used phrases and symbols.

afraid its inaccurate of sorts. if that was the case then universal pictures let alone the US trademark committee wouldnt be nitpicky about the detective conan manga. for one thing the name conan is extremely commonly used as a first name and its an already existing generic name that have been used for a very long time. but somehow the trademark and "in all of its wisdom" says using the name conan infringes of universal pictures conan the barbarian franchise which is downright and utter BS since conan edagawa aint even a fricking barbarian and it's because of universal's BS is the reason why viz media & Funi was forced to call the manga and anime series cased closed.

personally both japaneese and the US license holders for detective conan should have told universal to "jump off a cliff" (i would have told them that's VERY NSFW) and used the detective conan title instead of submitting to the whims of the hollywood machine cause i am sure they (universal) have no claims of copyright infringement since both franchise are completely different and the name is definitely not unique at the slightest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:20 am Reply with quote
I watched Megazone 23 this year that was full of these kind of things and there where legit you often see more in older stuff indeed.
Mitsjol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:50 am Reply with quote
Here's a list of fake brands in anime if anyone is interested.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:18 am Reply with quote
Unless I've missed it, I can't believe no one's mentioned the ultimate (?) example of The Devil is a Part-Timer! -- "MgRonalds" and "Sentucky Fried Chicken"!
peno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:59 am Reply with quote
Speaking of this, I actually remembred how many times I saw real JR East logo in anime, who take place in Tokyo or neighbouring area (which, be honest, is most of them). I guess JR East is easily approachable by anime creators since it's in Tokyo, where majority of anime studios is based and also it's great advertisement for them to be in so many anime titles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7