• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Animator: Gundam Reconguista in G to Play in Movie Theaters in 2017

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pajmo9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I wonder if anything is going to be changed for the theatrical release?
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the theatrical versions of Reconguista in G will be like the theatrical film trilogy of the original Gundam series - not just re-edited, but in some places even rewritten in the name of being clearer and more cohesive.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Maybe now we'll finally get a 1/100 kit of the G-Self.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
The only reason to watch is for Aida.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Please...just no. You moved on from this confusing mess. Iron Blood Orphans is doing fine. Why did you have to go back?!
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Them doing movies is pretty par for the course so this getting one doesn't really surprise me. I mean even Age got them, and this at least has a tiny cult following among gundam fans who are highly likely to shell out for the discs.

KH91 wrote:
The only reason to watch is for Aida.

I was excited about Aida at the start, but she is a complete waste of space and does basically nothing the whole time so I definitely won't be watching for her again. They also wasted an opportunity with her pretty cool MS since she is a god awful pilot.

azabaro wrote:
I wonder if the theatrical versions of Reconguista in G will be like the theatrical film trilogy of the original Gundam series - not just re-edited, but in some places even rewritten in the name of being clearer and more cohesive.

Well, like First, G-Reco has a lot of content in the first half they can trim or cut entirely to make room. However, depending on the number of movies and the length, that might not really be possible. Recent compilation movies are ~100 minutes where as I want to say the ones for First are over 2 hours. If there are only 2 of them at 100 minutes, I think even the content they have will be rushed to fit.

Last edited by SilverTalon01 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Good luck with that. G started off well, with a lot of promise. But sadly, it devolved into an incomprehensible mess. I had a hard time keeping up with who was doing what and why. Never have I seen someone be captured and then used as maintanence crew. By the end I kind of figure who was doing what and why in regards to the factions. But not the charatcers. I have no freaking clue what Bel was thinking throughout the whole show. Oh, and while most people say that Aida is the only reason to watch this show, I think they are wrong. Raraiya Akuparl is a much better and useful character after she gets her memory back.

The only really cool thing about the show was the backstory of the titular Gundam.
spoiler[The G was a prototype that was not chosen for mass production because it wasn't deemed good enough. In reality, it purposefully underperformed in order to be thought off as weak so it could accomplish it's real mission: to find the two royal siblings (who may, or may not be actual siblings). They could have done so much with this, but it was just a throwaway story that was never mentioned again. Just another victim of the G potential murder.]
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Good luck with that. G started off well, with a lot of promise. But sadly, it devolved into an incomprehensible mess. I had a hard time keeping up with who was doing what and why.

I would say the problem is actually that it is empty. The series is basically Belri going around with his pals to check out different groups where he makes friends and encounter's that groups pro-war faction. The 'why' is just 'that is who they are'. The characters for the most part just have a belief so ingrained in them from first time we ever saw them that a single belief defines them. There aren't really any deep personal motivations or hard thought logical conclusions fueling things which I think results in a lot of the incomprehensible complaints.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Honestly I hope some other unit get the honor, the G self is nice, but some of the other kit are far more interesting. The Dahak, G-Lucifer, Gastima and gaeon are all more fairly unique.

Of course I doubt any of them even get a MG, even a 1/100 is doubtful (which would probably just be larger HG, like IBO has been getting).
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:40 pm Reply with quote
[Edit]: there's no need to shout at us. Errinundra.
dark13

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Belri is probable one of the most generically written MC I have ever laid my eyes on, he makes NPC Characters look like they have personality, that how badly written he is ,and its very disappointing when you realize Tomino made him, you know ? the same Guy who give us Turn A and Victory, how is it so hard to write a character like loran ? he is one of the main reason why I hate G reco with a passion its such a train wreck could have been so much more.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad for the poor actors who have to do a play of such a terrible Gundam installment.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Nah, even the released HG they like have no passion to make it. Use an ancient gunpla joint in 2014? Even 2013 Build Fighters HG are better than HG Reco. So the possibility is low to get 1/100 kit after the trainwreck of anime and low sales on gunpla merchandise.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
No high hopes here, maybe Yoshiyuki Tomino will be on his meds when he doing this one.
He really lacked focus in his story telling, it was awesomely animated but it wasn't a good effort.

I'm expecting a recapping and squishing of the original television show, which I honestly don't think will be hard to do given all the side-stories that were in it.
SantaBla

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
I feel bad for the poor actors who have to do a play of such a terrible Gundam installment.

Gundam has been terrible, since at least Wing. There's nothing to save here. It's a completely stale series that has gone on for far too long. (IBO is shittier than G Reco in ways that you can't imagine)

Now if only Tomino actually focused on making entertaining mecha shows, instead of making just another Gundam, then I'm on board. Let him make another series like Xabungle. That would actually be fun.

Lord Dcast wrote:
Please...just no. You moved on from this confusing mess. Iron Blood Orphans is doing fine. Why did you have to go back?!

Literally nothing happens: The Series

No thanks.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2