• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Choose Your Classic Streaming Reviews

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
This is a feedback thread for our Classic Streaming Reviews poll, which you can find here:

animenewsnetwork.com/survey/700/

Concerns, questions, feedback in general, post it here, and thanks for participating!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Voted mostly for shows that do not yet have an American release or older shows that I don't think got a fair shake on ANN. For that reason I voted for Chihayafuru, Tatami Galaxy, Gunslinger Girl (there is a LOT to talk about here and in the past ANN never gave it a decent look), Skip Beat (soon to be available!), and I had one left over so I went with Excel Saga, an oldie yet goodie episodic comedy that would be fun to read about. If Nerima Daikon Brothers had been a choice I would have voted that over Excel Saga since I think that show (especially the dub) is cruelly underwatched and underappreciated.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't sure what to vote for so I just voted for Mahouka (Mwahaha!) and 4 other random shows.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
It was kinda hard for me to decide on a fifth one, but my first choice was Ergo Proxy.
JoeQ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Come on, you know it's gotta be Heat Guy J! Also voted for Excel Saga, Gurren Lagann, Mushishi and Samurai Champloo.

These shows will be covered by people who haven't seen them yet, right?

Cam0 wrote:
I wasn't sure what to vote for so I just voted for Mahouka (Mwahaha!) and 4 other random shows.

Why. Why would you ever.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
JoeQ wrote:

Not necessarily. We'll take whatever approach we think best suits the material, with the staff we have available. If that's "going in blind," we'll do that. If that's "intimately familiar with the material and can offer an in-depth analysis of the episodes," we'll go with that. Just depends.
JoeQ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
JoeQ wrote:

Not necessarily. We'll take whatever approach we think best suits the material, with the staff we have available. If that's "going in blind," we'll do that. If that's "intimately familiar with the material and can offer an in-depth analysis of the episodes," we'll go with that. Just depends.

Oh, okay. I always enjoy blind watches, but analysis would be cool too, particularly for the more nuanced/dense shows. Nick's take on Paranoia Agent was great.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I love this idea! I'm voting for shows that have a cultural cache and/or are known to be particularly good that I have yet to watch, especially if reviews would make them easier to understand:
1. Bakemonogatari--A dense, talky show with a lot of symbolism that is very hard for newbies to get into but has an ardent, obsessed fanbase. I wish I could just watch the first prequel movie that is presumably easiest to understand, as it starts the story, but AoA made it virtually unavailable to all but the most ardent collectors. I know that if I want to understand the story based off the TV anime, I'd need help since the timeline was messed with to appeal to its light novel readers (that's my understanding, anyway). Reviews would help a lot!
2. Tatami Galaxy-Another dense, talky show filled with symbolism--so dense that when I tried to watch it, I kept having to rewind or pause to catch all the subs, which is hard to do on a stream. But it's not on disc (to control the pace and slow it down) and their's no dub. I love the director and the original novelists other adapted work, The Eccentric Family, so I really want to watch it. Having a reviewer go over its themes and symbolism between episodes would really help.
3. Fate/Stay Night (2006)-not as dense or as talky, but filled with lore from both the myths and literary traditions it borrows from and the sprawling video game franchise it's a part of. I've already seen Fate/Zero and Unlimited Blade Works. Fate/Zero was excellent, UBW was ok, but it definitely made me curious about the franchise as a whole--and there's a lot more Fate/___anime imminent, so now would be a good time to catch up!
4. From the New World--I heard it's really good, and I need an incentive to watch it. Weekly review discussions are a great incentive!
5. The Rose of Versailles--If Rebecca Silverman would be able to bring her knowledge of French, history and literature to an analysis of this show, we'll all learn a lot! I love her reviews and this seems right up her alley. Plus, again, a great incentive to watch a classic!

Is there a reason Utena and Haruhi aren't eligible for Classic? Haruhi just became available again on streaming this year, and Utena may not be on CrunchyFun, but I'm pretty sure it's available on Youtube, Viewster and/or Crackle. They're both 10 year old + classics that are dense and could benefit from episode reviews. Are they too popular?
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Voted for Kyousogiga - one of the best original anime I've seen in five years
Read or Die (TV + OVA) - I've been meaning to finish this series ever since I found the first OVA years ago on Youtube
Skip Beat - One of my all time favorite shoujo manga and still proud that Pied Piper had successfully gotten an English dub for it
Tatami Galaxy - this might be difficult since the rapid fire dialogue and the vivid colors might throw me off but, I would love to rewatch this with a well-composed review
Wandering Son - which still hasn't gotten a BD or DVD licensed. I think Fantagraphics weren't able to finish the manga either. Sad Either way, the only anime that takes transgender issues as serious drama and would love a respectable review from it.

Would have added Fushigi Yugi because I need a solid excuse to rewatch my Media Blaster box set but now I'll just slowly tackle that after work. ;P
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote
I hope that something that really has its claws in me wins attention.

Kyōsōgiga is a really interesting series and I suspect that it's director, Rie Tanaka, might prove important in the long run. She's left something worth remembering in this series, at least.

It might be an outside chance, but I'd relish seeing Noir given this treatment. It's very often a vexatious series, I see defects and frustrations in it, but it's had a tight grip on something deep in the heart of me, as the song goes, since I first watched it thirteen years ago. It has a very personal, intimate character and appeal. I've never let go of it and it has never let go of me. I time and again think that I should watch it and try to write as near to definitive an assessment of it, perhaps more importantly of my feelings toward it. (Don't get excited, not that there's much risk of that, these sorts of notions lie idle on my docket for mortal eternities and this one falls somewhere below moving to Philadelphia and reading the complete works of Jeremy Bentham; perhaps it's best to let somebody else submit to the labor)

Damn me, but I just barely avoided voting for Heat Guy J.

Agent355 wrote:
5. The Rose of Versailles--If Rebecca Silverman would be able to bring her knowledge of French, history and literature to an analysis of this show, we'll all learn a lot! I love her reviews and this seems right up her alley. Plus, again, a great incentive to watch a classic!

I endorse this idea. The Rose of Versailles is a remarkably important and stirring series. I believe that it could be an exceptional experience, at least from time to time, to have a live and present evaluation and sharing of experiences about it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:50 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Damn me, but I just barely avoided voting for Heat Guy J.

But surely it was the most obvious choice, for old time's sake!

One hindrance to covering older series is that their streaming coverage tends to be somewhat more restrictive than current simulcasts, especially for Funimation shows. At least the likely victor will probably lie on many of our shelves already.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Is there a reason Utena and Haruhi aren't eligible for Classic? Haruhi just became available again on streaming this year, and Utena may not be on CrunchyFun, but I'm pretty sure it's available on Youtube, Viewster and/or Crackle. They're both 10 year old + classics that are dense and could benefit from episode reviews. Are they too popular?

We didn't do the world's most thorough sweep when coming up with titles, ha ha. We just scanned through CrunchyFun's free library and grabbed anything that stuck out. So we didn't check Youtube, Netflix, Viewster, etc., and we may have missed some prime candidates on those services or even Crunchyfun itself. We can keep them in mind for next time if this attempt at bringing Classic Streaming back goes well.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
It was kinda hard for me to decide on a fifth one, but my first choice was Ergo Proxy.

I voted for Ergo Proxy as well. Last time I rewatched it I followed along with the commentary at AnimeSuki where a couple of members provided some good analyses of the symbolism and literary references involved. If this makes the cut, I look forward to another perspective on what can be a difficult show to decipher at times.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
phia_one wrote:

I voted for Ergo Proxy as well. Last time I rewatched it I followed along with the commentary at AnimeSuki where a couple of members provided some good analyses of the symbolism and literary references involved. If this makes the cut, I look forward to another perspective on what can be a difficult show to decipher at times.

It's good to see that other people are interested in it. It's been years since I watched it, but I found it was fun discussing it with other people.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Took a bit of deliberating but I voted for:

Kyousougiga: An alltime favorite since it first aired, and criminally overlooked since it got a late simulcast. Plus, what better time to revive discussion than when it's (finally) getting a US release?

From the New World: Loved the ANNcast discussion, and with how distinct each episode's direction is, especially in the first half, I think there's a lot to be gained from an episode-by-episode breakdown of it.

Symphogear: this one's mostly just me craving any new Symphogear content. Season 4 can't come fast enough.

Wandering Son: Like Kyousougiga, it's a long time favorite and deserves so much more attention. Far as I can tell it never got a full review on ANN, and with no home video release this may be the last shot at getting more discussion for it.

Noein: This one's messy, but I ended up really enjoying it and connecting with what it wanted to say. It'd be cool to see a deep dive into it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1