• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Scum's Wish

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragonsandphoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:47 am Reply with quote
So far the character that I relate to the most is Ecchan. I mean, some parts of her experience are so reminiscent of my own that I feel kinda sad now cause I don't really envision a happy ending for her.

The characters are what sell this show for me personally. They're all written so sensitively, and feel like actual people. I do hope the clever character writing applies to the teacher as well because her character types tend to be so poorly-handled. Basically I hope the show maintains the balance between flawed and sympathetic character writing until the end.

Another thing that i like about this show is its sensitive portrayal of sexuality. Since I come from a society where sexual feelings are encouraged to be repressed until adulthood, this is really important to me. The show doesn't shame the characters for feeling what they feel but neither is it interested in exploiting them for sensationalism like a lot of popular media do. I don't know why but I've mostly seen this in anime, granted this sort of thing is still rare.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:50 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
After watching episode 3 I think I've finally identified what series this one has been reminding me of so far: Koi Kaze.

Now that's intriguing. Does this show bear the same sense of quiet but palpable tension between the respective lovers and their wider circumstances? I'll never forget how the threat of something drastic happening in its final episode was almost unbearable despite its gentle pace.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
After watching episode 3 I think I've finally identified what series this one has been reminding me of so far: Koi Kaze.

Sure, there's no incest involved here, but the tone, the style of writing, the sexual frankness, and the emotions in play are very similar.

But the base event that cause Koi Kaze to happen as it did was because Chidori wasn't honest about her attraction to Koushiro, she just slept over at his apartment every chance she got. Mostly when drunk I believe so yeah, every chance she got.

And she only slept over, with none of the stuff that honestly should have happened. Oh, you mean honest about its sexuality only in regards to the incest? Or rather, how Nanako, the youngest, was the only one honest to her feelings?

You could almost swear the moral to that one was "all men and women have desires but only the truly immature act impulsively on them." Wait, was it? But that brings us to Flowers of Evil ground. Or...

Quote:
teenagers are wildly self-obsessed bags of confused hormones

People are wildly self-obsessed bags of confused hormones, some are just better at hiding it than others.

Would I watch Scum's Wish if it wasn't streaming on a double pay service? Sure, I watched Koi Kaze and the only reason I watched one episode of Flowers of Evil was because it was so ugly. Not emotionally ugly, just ugh-ly ugly.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:32 am Reply with quote
I am thoroughly enjoying this show. I know some have a problem with it not being "realistic" when others opine that it is, I find the emotions in this very relatable to that hormonal cusp of adulthood.

I would posit that many can relate to the messed up feelings for others, the poor decisions that happen as a result of our overwhelming feelings (everything from that time felt like a MUCH BIGGER DEAL than now) and the feelings of self-loathing that you have that you then try to find someone else to help drive those feelings away and make you feel " normal" again. This show does a spectacular job of articulating all those feelings.

I really enjoy getting so much background on the characters, it makes it easier to understand their motivations and makes me so much more invested in what happens next.
I find myself torn between wishing them eventual happiness and just wanting to immerse myself in watching these people fall to pieces.

I love the comparison to Koi Kane, it made me think about how many years it's been since I've watched that...I really need to pull it off the shelf and watch it again since it's such an excellent show! Koi Kaze however is much more subtle if I recall though for a good part of the show, which I appreciate, don't get me wrong. It doesn't let us into the minds as much as Scum's Wish does. Which isn't to say it doesn't come out, one of my favorite scenes is Koshiro being bawled out by his horrified coworker...

I thought this series alone was worth the subscription to Anime Strike, but I already had Prime, so it wasn't too bad, however I do wish this title were more available for all fans to see...
Well played Amazon...well played.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Akane is an evil (and horny?) witch.

Episode 4 was fantastic. Last week I was skeptical about Mr. Chapman's high praise for Scum's Wish, but this week I am totally buying it. I hope the show continues to be this great. And look out Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju, you might lose your place as best show of this season.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Akane must be crushed. She is the true scum of the title. As I said in the series discussion thread, it's bad enough that she's a narcissist. But a narcissist who can only derive pleasure from being desired by men when those men are desired by other females...? So that she can luxuriate in the douchebaggy pleasure of knowing another female's heart is being broken? Die in a fire, cow. It is my fondest wish that her broken corpse is trod under Hanabi's feet ... er, metaphorically speaking.
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
So I went for a month passing by this anime, I was sort of interested in the previous season but then I kinda got it tangled up with Seiren, Fuuka and some other romance anime that I went "eh, whatever, probably nothing important". And yesterday I saw someone saying that Scum's Wish explored lesbian love and I was "What the hell I thought it was a girl wanting to bang his teacher" and technically I was right but that other person was right too!

And in that regard, I've been having an ironic sort of blast with Ecchan's character and Hanabi. Because Hanabi has the same voice actress as Kousaka Reina, Chika Anzai (and she's SO GOOD), and she literally has the same kind of character setup Reina does, and I couldn't help but thinking in episode 4 "So apparently screwing up your closest girlfriend IS a way to cope with your teacher not loving you back!" Not any criticism against Euphonium, that's a totally different matter, just something I couldn't help thinking about.

Other than everybody is saying, I can't get over how gorgeous this show looks and how well-directed it is, not a single waste of any second. I have other thoughts about this anime but the post is already too long.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Huh, this is the first time I've come across an anime with character that is entirely motivated by netori, that is seducing someone else's significant other. I figured that Ecchan and Hanabi would eventually reach the same sort of point that Hanabi and Mugi did, but I have to admit that it happened way faster that I thought it would. I hope that this receives a big boost in manga sales cause there's just no way that the anime will sell much of anything with characters like these. Definitely enjoying it and looking forward to more. I appreciate that it depicts sensuality without being too... overt/mundane in its portrayal. It has just the right balance for me.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Jacob thinks virginity is kind of a stupid concept

Certainly seems that way when you are one...
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I am almost shocked that Jacob gave episode 4 only an A- rating. I was expecting an A+++ Wink
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
I completely agree with Jacob's analysis of Akane's character. On the surface she might appear to be the "happiest" character in this show, seemingly having completely embraced her scum-ness. But how sad must it be to not allow yourself to love (or be loved by) anyone, but let your entire self-worth depend on being desired by men other women are in love with instead? What's going to happen to her once she stops being desired?

I also agree that Akane's life might be a glimpse into Hanabi's future if she continues like this and they both seem to realize that.

Still pretty impressed with this show and hoping it'll be able to keep up this quality.
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:29 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, Minagawa seemed so nice before, It was surprising to realize she was actually a bitch! Great episode, I really like this series.

I have to ask tho, wasn't it said that the censorship in Japan does not allow to show sex in any anime series that air on tv? But here, they do, how's that?
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:33 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
I have to ask tho, wasn't it said that the censorship in Japan does not allow to show sex in any anime series that air on tv? But here, they do, how's that?

This anime airs on the noitaminA block, which always airs series aimed with a seinen/josei demographic (meaning, young adults and older). This show, while being rated 17+, still doesn't cross any particular Japanese TV boundary. All of the sex is implied, I remember that Campione! in its last episode had too an outright sex scene just by pure implication.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
Quote:
Jacob thinks virginity is kind of a stupid concept

Certainly seems that way when you are one...

...why? and that is a sincere question. I'm speaking as a virgin myself and I don't see it as a stupid concept.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What is the opposite of love? Is it hate? Maybe apathy?

No, it's selfishness. It's someone claiming to "love" someone else and only taking what they want; screw the other person's well-being. =_=

Quote:

The anime is an exact copy of the manga, which isn't any more graphic.

Also, Hanabi did not lose her virginity to Ebato. They didn't have intercourse.

Quote:
I'm speaking as a virgin myself and I don't see it as a stupid concept.

It isn't. Lol the world would be a better place if teenagers stayed virgins longer because of them aren't mature enough to handle sexual relationships anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 21