• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CDJapan: Avex Pictures Restricts Overseas BD, DVD, CD Shipments

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:14 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
While "anything is possible" (especially with lawyers), this an argument I'd really need to see to believe. Considering how hard Japan has been trying to fight reverse importation and (as others have said) how wide the variance is between Japanese prices and other regions for this kind of media, I really can't imagine ANY licenser putting that up as an argument to try to drive down licensing costs. Heck, US licensers have a MUCH better argument that Japanese attempts to prevent reverse-importing (namely, the delays they sometimes force on releases) is a MUCH bigger negative to buyer interest (preventing purchases during the "craze" period) than any people who actually buy the Japanese release. ESPECIALLY for Japanese DVDs which are still in a separate region from US players. (granted, BDs don't have that problem at least)

I'm married to an attorney who does contract & intellectual property civil litigation. I'm just going based on 25+ years of talking with her on this subject.

I'm just trying to point out what may be part of the corporate POV on this. Quite probably its not any one thing that has caused Avex to do this; more likely its just one move in a general effort to better manage (in their mind) their properties. Sometimes corporations do things that don't seem logical but are really aimed at some other aspect we're not even aware of as yet. Or sometimes its just because somebody on the board has a corncob stuck up their you-know-what. You can't assume that there's a logical reason for it, because sometimes (sadly, more often than not) there isn't. All I was doing was speculating what might be their reasoning, based in part on things I've seen elsewhere.

As for DVD player regions... considering how ubiquitous all-region DVD players are, I hardly think that's a barrier anymore.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:47 pm Reply with quote
So basically Avex doesn't want my money and I'm better off paying $200 less for Funimation's eventual Limited Edition BD/DVD that might have the bonus video sometime in 2018.

Pfft....fine by me. :/
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Ah well. As long as Aniplex doesn't have the license.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
KH91 wrote:
Before anyone complains about this, you should feel lucky that the folks in Japan even share their work with the rest of the world. Not that the titles mentioned are soul crushing or anything. Just a reminder.

Exactly. If Japanese licensors wanted to, they could've still retained the mind set that their anime series aren't marketable in the West and therefore barely license them out there. Animated TV shows from China and South Korea suffer through this.

If they do that, just go back to the old days then. Still waiting for Gosick to be released, so fan subs it is.
Haterater

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:41 pm Reply with quote
@KH91

Don't buy that. Screams terrible business sense and overall bad fan support when they decide to sell outside Japan again. Its like they want more piracy instead of serving their loyal fans. Better some money than nothing at all and bad outlook. Some Japanese companies and K-pop figured that out and don't do this, garnering fan support and sales.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Still waiting for Gosick to be released, so fan subs it is.

Why not import the Australian release?
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
As much as I'd like to jump on these brand new titles (especially that ice skating one) I've recently relocated with my family and the hospital I'm working at doesn't pay me as much as I'd anticipated they would. That and we are expecting our second child... I'll stick to streaming for now.

Congratulations and best of luck with the new addition to your family.
teferi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
epicwizard wrote:
KH91 wrote:
Before anyone complains about this, you should feel lucky that the folks in Japan even share their work with the rest of the world. Not that the titles mentioned are soul crushing or anything. Just a reminder.

Exactly. If Japanese licensors wanted to, they could've still retained the mind set that their anime series aren't marketable in the West and therefore barely license them out there. Animated TV shows from China and South Korea suffer through this.

This pretty much in direct contradiction to what's actually happening. I mean come on, the Answerman article this week is about how big a deal Crunchyroll is. They want foreign investment because it helps them make anime. We're not lucky that they're licensing anime out to the rest of the world. They're doing it because it gives them a stable source of funding.
Kosaka

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
The first sentence of the article currently says "December 14" instead of "February 14"; hopefully an ANN person can correct that.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Never thought I'd find my favorite retailer in the news. I wonder if this has to do with illegal sharing? Because if that is the case then it's messing things up for everyone else.

Hardly. I'm pretty confident most raws floating around are ripped and mostly circulating within Japan, if the ip addresses connecting in the swarms are anything to go by...

Which is also what makes this move so hard to understand, along the fact that there's none of the reasons for reverse-importation behind it when it was the other way around.

As Cutiebunny said above, if someone is ready to pay premium, you're one crazy seller to refuse. And it's not going to stop unlicensed stuff from appearing as those rips in Japan will inevitably leak to here in the west, having no such restrictions for themselves...

Thanks for that info. Good to know. I hope that this doesn't happen with other publishers because that could really hurt sales.
meganinja

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Soulpiece

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
epicwizard wrote:
KH91 wrote:

If they do that, just go back to the old days then. Still waiting for Gosick to be released, so fan subs it is.

Funny u JUST mention gosick, this happened https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/831684524102803457
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Still waiting for Gosick to be released, so fan subs it is.

Why not import the Australian release?

Are Australian DVD's the NTSC standard or the PAL standard?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Christopher Martinez wrote:

Funny u JUST mention gosick, this happened https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/831684524102803457

If true, winter is ending, and spring is coming; or is that just global warming....
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Avex is within their rights to do this I really don't have a dog in this fight as I was never one to import Japanese Blu Rays, CDs, or DVDs, Manga and books sure but not those other things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6