• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon I Choose You! Anime Film's Trailer Shows Ash, Pikachu's 1st Meeting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:10 am Reply with quote
CycloneJoker wrote:
[
It was never an accident that Ho-Oh was in the first episode. It was to drum up hype for Gold and Silver, which released a little under 2 years after the anime debuted,

This is strange for two reasons one being the fact that to my knowledge was never stated as the reason Ho-Oh showed up in the anime, two being the fact that since this happened the Pokemon anime no longer features Pokemon in them from games that have yet to be announced or shown until after the fact.

In other words it still looks like someone on the anime staff came up with an unusual pokemon that no one at gamefreak thought up and they just chose to go with it.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:

Agreed. It would have looked awful if they hadn't.

The snark went over your head.

I assure you it didn't.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
This is strange for two reasons one being the fact that to my knowledge was never stated as the reason Ho-Oh showed up in the anime, two being the fact that since this happened the Pokemon anime no longer features Pokemon in them from games that have yet to be announced or shown until after the fact.

In other words it still looks like someone on the anime staff came up with an unusual pokemon that no one at gamefreak thought up and they just chose to go with it.

The anime has cameoed Pokemon prior to their generation plenty of times, actually. Togepi, Bursyamo, Nymphia, and Magearna to name a few off the top of my head.Maybe Onvern too, I can't remember when Pansy first showed it off, but an often used hook to get Satoshi to the next region was introducing a next-gen Pokemon and telling him where its from.

-Stuart Smith
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
It's so sad to see that the movie will have worse directing and animation an any episode of the current animated series. I wish Yuyama would finally leave the franchise. Sad
Xavon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:48 pm Reply with quote
So they're gonna take basically the first couple episodes of the anime and turn them into a movie?

Are they still going to fry Misty/Kasumi's bike?
CycloneJoker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

The anime has cameoed Pokemon prior to their generation plenty of times, actually. Togepi, Bursyamo, Nymphia, and Magearna to name a few off the top of my head.Maybe Onvern too, I can't remember when Pansy first showed it off, but an often used hook to get Satoshi to the next region was introducing a next-gen Pokemon and telling him where its from.

-Stuart Smith

In fairness, I think their argument to me was that G/S hadn't been announced when Ho-Oh appeared, whereas others like Blaziken and Kecleon from R/S, etc did appear in preceeding seasons only after their games were announced and/or released.

Although, now that you mention it, I think the release of Magearna's movie, or at least the initial teasers and trailers did preceed the announcement of S/M. This may have also been the case with Zorua/Zoroark, Lucario and May's Munchlax now that I think about it, possiblly as well as others. While Ho-Oh was by far the longest between anime and game appearances, this is a practise that does still seem to happen. Maybe Ho-Oh wasn't designed to get people hyped for G/S in particular, since the release was still a ways off, but it was certainly enough to hype the possibility of a sequel with a new, very specifically designed Pokemon.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
All the nostalgia. I am definitely gonna have to see this.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Caciulacdlac wrote:
Hmm, maybe we will find out why Ash is still 10 Laughing

Comic book time.

CycloneJoker wrote:

It was never an accident that Ho-Oh was in the first episode. It was to drum up hype for Gold and Silver, which released a little under 2 years after the anime debuted, and were presumably revealed to the public some time before that. The reason it's so much more prominent here is simply because we know it's actual design now. Also, Ho-Oh has had one other appearance in the anime, appearing again to Ash after his 2nd(?) loss at the Battle Pyramid during Battle Frontier.

Huh, I had the impression that they never intended Pokémon to last past the first game. I mean, it's quite plausible they had some rejected Pokémon designs that would wind up in Generation II, but I didn't think they'd be planning for sequels so soon.

CycloneJoker wrote:
In fairness, I think their argument to me was that G/S hadn't been announced when Ho-Oh appeared, whereas others like Blaziken and Kecleon from R/S, etc did appear in preceeding seasons only after their games were announced and/or released.

Although, now that you mention it, I think the release of Magearna's movie, or at least the initial teasers and trailers did preceed the announcement of S/M. This may have also been the case with Zorua/Zoroark, Lucario and May's Munchlax now that I think about it, possiblly as well as others. While Ho-Oh was by far the longest between anime and game appearances, this is a practise that does still seem to happen. Maybe Ho-Oh wasn't designed to get people hyped for G/S in particular, since the release was still a ways off, but it was certainly enough to hype the possibility of a sequel with a new, very specifically designed Pokemon.

Though not a completely new Pokémon per se, Zygarde's 10% and Complete Forms were shown in the anime before Sun and Moon were announced. I remember quite well the common mistaken belief that there'd be another Generation VI game that would have these Zygarde forms in them. (It is possible that it WAS planned but it was scrapped for whatever reason and the forms were put into Sun and Moon instead though.
Adamanto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:47 pm Reply with quote
CycloneJoker wrote:

In fairness, I think their argument to me was that G/S hadn't been announced when Ho-Oh appeared

That's wrong, though. The games had been announced long before the anime premiered (though they were known as "Pocket Monsters 2" at the time), and so had four of the Pokemon that were going to appear in it.

Here's an ancient announcement of the anime that's so old they don't even have any actual info on it ("It appears that Red will be the main character"). See which Pokemon they use to represent "Pokemon 2"?

BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

-Stuart Smith

There wasn't really much of hook though where Ho-Oh (and Togepi who I forgot about) were concerned since we didn't really know about their being other regions at that time and had no reason to think so. Their appearances did make it clear that despite what the Gen 1 games and the Pokemon Rap showed that their were more Pokemon than the 151 we already new about.

Adamanto wrote:

Here's an ancient announcement of the anime that's so old they don't even have any actual info on it ("It appears that Red will be the main character"). See which Pokemon they use to represent "Pokemon 2"?

With all those Gen 1 pokemon you'd think Ho-Oh was a gen 1 holdover.
Adamanto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:04 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

There wasn't really much of hook though where Ho-Oh (and Togepi who I forgot about) were concerned since we didn't really know about their being other regions at that time and had no reason to think so.

But that's the thing, we did. "Pocket Monsters 2" had been announced for over a year at the time Togepi first appeared in the anime.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
With all those Gen 1 pokemon you'd think Ho-Oh was a gen 1 holdover.

There was originally 190 Gen 1 Pokemon planned instead of 151 (those empty slots are apparently the cause for the infamous Missingno. glitch). Possibly some or all of the other 39 were used as Johto's Pokemon.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one wondering that, with Ho-oh's Raindow Wing as an item that Ash now has, if they'll allow Ash to catch the bird in the future?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Adamanto wrote:

But that's the thing, we did. "Pocket Monsters 2" had been announced for over a year at the time Togepi first appeared in the anime.

And yet somehow some enterprising individuals managed to trick some gullible souls into thinking you could get Togepi in Gen 1. Plus they could've easily have reused Kanto in G&S instead of giving us a whole new region as Ho-Oh and Togepi showed up in Kanto in the anime despite as we would later discover they're Johto based Pokemon (or at least supposed to be).

Marimo0 wrote:

There was originally 190 Gen 1 Pokemon planned instead of 151 (those empty slots are apparently the cause for the infamous Missingno. glitch). Possibly some or all of the other 39 were used as Johto's Pokemon.

The plot thickens and gets more stranger but that kind of worked out for them (And us).
Baggie_Saiyan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:42 am Reply with quote
More Kanto nostalgic pandering? At least keep fat Pikachu. This just looks... Off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3