• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuri!!! on Ice Anime Gets Brand-New Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:52 am Reply with quote
That feeling when you know that the announcement of Season 2's in the tip of the announcers toungue but he says that it was a compilation movie, lol Laughing

YOI's stage highlight was definitely the drama part, the Chihoko incident was green-lit, drunk!everyone vs. wasted Yuuri, everyone was shouting in their seats.
Pandeinos

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
Alexis.Anagram wrote:
I really enjoyed YOI but I don't really feel that the format would adapt to film especially well, and I'm especially concerned that Sayo Yamamoto's frenetic style of direction would feel even more strained and aggravating in long form. It was the periods of extended focus on skating routines that really made the show manageable imo, grounding and contextualizing scenes in the "real world" which were otherwise emotionally slapdash and unfocused. Like, I could have never bought into the central romance without seeing it develop as it did in congruence with Yuuri's skating, but to me that was a journey that had to take place in episodes, progressively over time.

I just wonder how they'll manage this movie: I'd love to see something more relaxed, something that breathes and lets the characters stretch their legs and really fill in every scene. I never felt like I had the opportunity to savor an episode of YOI; more like I was always panting as I tried to keep up.

Huh, first time I've seen someone else complain of serious pacing issues. (I liked but didn't love YOI, largely because it felt too crammed with stuff.) But I thought the dedication to fully animating the skating routines, whilst impressive, was the source of the problem not the respite. With only 12 episodes, they just couldn't afford to let these sequences gobble up so much runtime. I thought that many of the 'real world' scenes had sound ideas behind them, but they'd been left so little space to breathe. (Well. Cutting half the subplots and side characters would've helped too.) I haven't seen any of Yamamoto's previous work, is this a common problem for her?
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
^The last TV series director Sayo handled was the 22 episode Michiko to Hatchin which was more episodic than YOI was and she made her debut with the also episodic A Woman Named Fujiko Mine. Haven't finished Fujiko Mine but MH did have issues with the titular duo fighting, splitting up, and then racing to find each other multiple times. For me, that was fine since overall tone was similar to telanovella/soap opera but, I will agree that YOI main issue was the time: sport >character exploration. Keep in mind that Sayo is a MAJOR figure skating fangirl so the massive amount of skating was on purpose. In an interview (I'm on my phone so I don't have the link) either her or Kubo remarked on how they wanted as much time devoted to the performance and decided to use the characters monologue in mid performance as a shortcut to tell the audience their goals/back story.

Personally, I hated how the side characters are given little to no screentime (even Yurio!) and, had the series been 20+ episodes, it could have balanced the figure skating, side characters, and the relationship of the main trio much better. But for an original screenplay, they did better than I expected (Ping Pong had better pacing and side character exploration with only 11 but had the luxury of being a manga adaptation).

If the film is the finale, then I want to see how the deal with a shorter time frame or if it's just a side story then hopefully season 2 will have an expanded episode count.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3