• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Subpoenas Cloud Hosting Platform Over Copyright Infringement of One Piece Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:14 am Reply with quote
It's illegal and just because FUNimation's online streaming site has some problems doesn't change this fact.

I agree that legal anime streaming needs to come to all countries. However, even if that happened these sites would still exist. Even if a streaming service had no problems, people would still complain. They would still justify using illegal methods. I remember when the Simulcast came around and people in the US were refusing to use it because of FUNimation translating the word 'nakama', because of the Toei logo, or because it wasn't super Blu-Ray 1080 quality (understand back then there was no paid HD version). These are not reasons to justify going to illegal methods but people did it anyway, and they always will find a reason to snub anything legal sites do so they can continue to download the most HD fansubs for free.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
Funimation, and other streaming services, can't control streaming locations in many instances. Some countries are covered by wholesale licenses (TV, streaming, discs, etc.) while others would require separate deals and various other things that have been covered by numerous Answerman columns and industry interviews.

Regardless of validity of reason, people are always going to try to pirate. But getting mad when a pirate site has legal action taken against it is silly. It's going to happen, and there's nothing to stop it when it becomes a problem.

It's like Veemonjosh said, it didn't help the site's situation that people openly bragged about using it at conventions to CR/Funi/Sentai/VIZ staff, in tweets to company staff, and on forums owned and moderated by those companies. You don't take bread off someone's plate and eat it in front of them.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
So this long history of events still can't be discussed reasonably... Yes, Funimation's website as a whole, particularly their video player, has much to be desired (namely working). They've done so many refreshes and remodels to their site in the last several years, and it seems to mainly be a case of repainting a house with holes in the walls.

That being said, pirating material is wrong, and it's illegal. As a party holding rights under protected material (in this case the license for One Piece), failure to demonstrate protection of those rights means that not only could Toei pull them, from a contractual standpoint, but it could hurt their ability to argue for them in court in the future should the need to, under copyright law.

Yes, Funi's got problems with its site. Yes the entire system for distribution to countries other than the US is spotty at best, but at the end of the day, those are the rights of the copyright holder. It's their product. They're free to charge whatever they want for it, make it available to whoever they want, where and whenever they want; the same as if today you were to create the greatest product in history - it's yours to control how it gets out. Even if the means of getting it out is terrible and inconvenient, anyone violating that right to distribution should know and expect they will eventually get in legal trouble for it.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:45 am Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:
Seriously, this whole DMCA thing needs to be stopped! DMCA must be abolished for good!

If not for the DMCA, sites that host pirated material put uploaded by third parties would be liable themselves for the infringement. If you abolish the DMCA, you get rid of DMCA takedowns, but you also get rid of the Safe Harbor provision:
https://www.eff.org/issues/dmca
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
I suspect the end might be near for Kissanime. But that will just mean another three or four new sites will pop up to take its place.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:32 am Reply with quote
Digital Ocean is a privately held company, same for Funimation, so there's no public numbers available in terms of revenue, assets or capital. They appear to be quite a large business with data centers scattered around the world, at least per Wikipedia that is the case.

So, the particular server in question may not be in the US.

Being in the cloud business it's likely that, for Digital Ocean, Funimation's DMCA notice was just one of a number received on that day.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out, Popcorn anyone?

Mark Gosdin
merr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
In all likelihood, they're only doing this to appease Toei. There's a reason Funi named One Piece as the infringed property but nothing else.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
why do I get the feeling that almost all the salt in the forum right now against funimation are from people using kissanime or are from people just pissed about funimations streaming service or are just people jumping on the salt bandwagon for the sake of being in a group? Seriously they have the legal right to sue the copyright violator so they won't lose the rights to one piece after all they've already lost the rights to a bunch of aniplex titles they released due to either ridiculous renewal contracts that would've costed them money or because they couldn't renew them cause aniplex wouldn't have any of it
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:16 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:
Hey, we already have two people who know how to run Funimation's business better than they do. God I love the internet.

This thread is now a reality show-style competition to determine the next CEO of Funimation!

Here's my contribution: I think Funimation should only license good anime. No more bad anime! If I were CEO, and some guy said to me, "Hey, let's license an anime that's bad!" I would fire him. Or maybe just give him a stern warning, if he has kids to support. Also, maybe they should translate a little show called Dragon Ball Z? It's very popular in Japan, I bet people would like it here.

(Seriously, though, given the infamous resilience of the illegal streaming site in question, it'll be interesting to see if this leads to major changes for that site, or if it just goes nowhere)
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't get why people get so angry, another site will take its place.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:

I remember when the Simulcast came around and people in the US were refusing to use it because of FUNimation translating the word 'nakama', because of the Toei logo, or because it wasn't super Blu-Ray 1080 quality (understand back then there was no paid HD version). These are not reasons to justify going to illegal methods but people did it anyway, and they always will find a reason to snub anything legal sites do so they can continue to download the most HD fansubs for free.

Not wanting to pay for a subpar product seems perfectly reasonable to me. No one is under any obligation to support something just because it's the legal version when better alternatives exist.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
It's not like this was the only pirate site (I even know people who moved off of it, I don't use it so I don't know why), but this is 100% Funi trying to keep their Once Piece rights, nothing more.

I do agree that they're video player is awful, though. And they're still super slow to put all of their popular shows onto Crunchyroll.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Why would funi license an anime for a country where only 20 people would buy the bd? It seems logical to me why a small company specializing in releasing niche products would focus on five or so countries especially given the fact anime fans with very high speed internet, the newest iphones, cable service to watch the newest got and twd, and netflix and powerful video game consoles, ability to buy new games on release date, and see movies in theaters at premium prices, cant pay for 7$ crunchyroll. Every pirated episode is lost potential for theit bottom line.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I guess Funimation needed to make a another token effort at combating piracy to appease Toei. I suppose Toei's convinced themselves that if they could just stamp out piracy of the series, One Piece would be as ridiculously popular outside of Japan as it is inside Japan.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
It seems logical to me why a small company specializing in releasing niche products would focus on five or so countries especially given the fact anime fans with very high speed internet, the newest iphones, cable service to watch the newest got and twd, and netflix and powerful video game consoles, ability to buy new games on release date, and see movies in theaters at premium prices, cant pay for 7$ crunchyroll. Every pirated episode is lost potential for theit bottom line.

For me it's not a matter of money, I just simply don't care for streaming. I prefer to own the show, whether by importing the Japanese BD or as a downloaded file on my desktop. I don't have Netflix or Hulu either. Streaming has never been appealing to me, nor the idea of only having one option when it comes to watching a show.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5