• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Symphogear AXZ Anime Reveals New Cast, Visuals, July 1 Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh believe me, I'm definitely not counting on anything decent. And they very well could go with "they're both just guys who need 'female bodies' to use relics and stuff," but honestly, that's not even close to as bad as it could potentially be. Like, the fact that they both apparently had rather different personalities before could mean they're going with some really weird sexist/bio-essentialist stuff too and, ugh.

But nothing is totally confirmed yet, so there's still hope.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite interested in hearing how Cagliostro will sound with a male voicing him. Cool
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Oh believe me, I'm definitely not counting on anything decent. And they very well could go with "they're both just guys who need 'female bodies' to use relics and stuff," but honestly, that's not even close to as bad as it could potentially be. Like, the fact that they both apparently had rather different personalities before could mean they're going with some really weird sexist/bio-essentialist stuff too and, ugh.

But nothing is totally confirmed yet, so there's still hope.

Well, the website does say that they are "girls." Seems like if you magically gave a trans girl the body of a girl, she would just simply be a girl rather than a "girl." So yeah, I think not counting on anything and getting your hopes up is a good idea.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I suspect it may be similar to Michael from Rage of Bahumut, Genesis, which was a very androgynous character.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
I suspect it may be similar to Michael from Rage of Bahumut, Genesis, which was a very androgynous character.

Michael might not have looked super masculine, but you can tell he isn't female when you compare him to the obviously female angels so I don't think that really counts as androgynous since you can visually determine his gender.

I don't think this is just a matter of being androgynous either because Cagliostro at least has an obviously female body. (Prelati on the other hand, primarily due to facial expression, looks like a boy forced to wear girls clothing to me... might be alone on that).
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

If you look closely to director Ono (especially the current shitstorm he goes through thanks to YGO Arc-V) and main writer's track record and their weird tendencies toward characterization, I would say most of your assumptions may turn out to be true. Subtlety is the LAST thing these two staff give a darn about
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Studio: OK, we need to have some male charatcers for the next season.
Writers: Got you covered. 2 male alchemists to fight against.
Studio: That's perfect...
Writers: That were turned into women by a female alchemist that dresses like a man.
Studio: GODDAMN IT!!

But you have Genjuro, you need no other male characters at that point because he is one of the manliest things in the universe.

I have a couple concerns about this new season. 1: Where is my subtitle for season 4 because we have to continue this unnecessarily long run-on sentence. Which currently stands at "Meteoroid-Falling, Burning, and Disappear, Then In the Distance, That Day, When the Star Became Music Believe in Justice and Hold a Determination to Fist." You know now that I read it out loud, it now seems complete.

2: Who is Tsubasa being shipped with for this season. First was Kanade (who lasted an episode), second was Chris and third was Maria. It'll probably St. Germain.

3: Concerns one and two don't really matter, I'm just stoked for the new season of Symphogear. Wooh!!!
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
1: Where is my subtitle for season 4 because we have to continue this unnecessarily long run-on sentence.

Ah, but we already have that!

"By shedding many tears, the reality you face is..." isn't quite as great as "Hold a determination to fist" but it is the most grammatically intact subtitle so far!

On the topic of the new characters...yeah I'm pretty wary of this kind of stuff. Symphogear is a fun and occasionally trashy show, but it rarely deals with any topic more sensitive than "punch bad guys" and "friendship is good." It's also, for lack of a better phrase, "anime" as hell and anime has a pretty crummy track record for handling gender-swapping characters. I'm still excited for this season, but I can't say I'm quite as confident in it as I was before.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
sn't quite as great as "Hold a determination to fist" but it is the most grammatically intact subtitle so far!

Okay, I *really* need to finally start watching Symphogear, or at least watch up to whatever season has that subtitle.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
"By shedding many tears, the reality you face is..." isn't quite as great as "Hold a determination to fist" but it is the most grammatically intact subtitle so far!

I think it's cool in its own right in that it makes one wonder what kind of fate awaits them...
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Well I am going to be really salty and brutally honest here. I was very excited for this season to comprehend everything earlier. So after some understandings, I think I am going to skip this new entry. I am not down with the new cast especially with those two certain "girls". I just want to see cute girls kicking butts. Yeah, sorry for being too sensitive.
OpinionatedWeaboo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
Obligatory "GUNGIR DATTO?!"
I'm hyped for this. I did not dislike any season of this show.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:59 am Reply with quote
I'm really looking forward to see what incredibly crippling and psychologically damaging issue has been dominating Hibiki's soul for years so absolutely that it never even came up in any earlier season.
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:08 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
I can dream and hope that we're get an anime with two decent trans women characters.

This is Symphogear, we technically have an open lesbian lead yet it is clearly yuri bait for doujin creators to write about.

The show has always been an over the top "cartoon" so creating some sort of "accurate" depiction of ANY lifestyle is highly unlikely, be it school girl, military commander, or any other real life counterpart.

"technically".
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:56 am Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:
I am not down with the new cast especially with those two certain "girls". I just want to see cute girls kicking butts.

What new cast? Those are just the bad guys. The main cast is the same.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3