• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Network Streaming Website Switches to Cable, Video on Demand Only

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad for subscribers my experience using Anime Network was so horrible I canceled after the two week free trial ended and PayPal failed to work for some mysterious reason despite my information being current and up to date.

Along with the "buggy" crash happy video player the website used and the hard to read subtitles. I had subscribed originally try and watch Matoi the Sacred Slayer but never got to finish it because of that and apparently I didn't miss much

The website however did have great customer service though and I did finally get to finish season one of Ro-Kyu-Bu!, watch Rurouni Kenshin: New Kyoto Arc, and the Mahoromatic OVAs. Hopefully this works better for them
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:22 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Which cable provider did you have, if you don't mind me asking? TAN is available on all of the major ones, including Comcast, Spectrum (Time Warner/Charter/Beighthouse)and DirecTV. I know they fell off of some smaller cable systems, and some had replaced it with the Funimation Channel (prior to them shutting down.)

But the availability of dubs and rotation of shows really depended on which provider you had and which package they offered.

Is the DISH Network not one of them? That's what I'm subscribed to and have never found The Anime Channel any time I checked. I have the middle package as I wanted to get channels not normally available on the default package like Discovery Family, The NASA Channel, The Cooking Channel, Boomerang, and GSN (though some have moved to the default package since then). Is it only available on the upper package, is it request-only, or is it not available on DISH at all?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:21 am Reply with quote
Well at least this has made me go through Anime Network's catalog with a fine toothed comb. I realized they have Grave of the Fireflies and watched it for the first time just now. I'm going to watch Royal Space Force, Amagami SS+ and finish Nadia (watched most of it on Hulu but put it off and then it expired). I was going to watch Dennou Coil but then I realized it wasn't available for streaming...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote
Taking into account all the alleged cable cutting that is happening in US broadcasting as written by several articles about it, is this such a smart move? Wink
switchgear1131

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:06 am Reply with quote
if this article had not introduced a new service it would have been great. ANO was simply the worst and whenever they got a show I wanted to watch it was a bad day. Frequent delays, that outdated yellow font. I would like to see amazon or CR/Funi buy them out just t get their licenses and rid us of this poor excuse for a service. That and netflix simulcasting would make for a good day, they ruined Little Witch's prime spotlight with their binge watching BS.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:31 am Reply with quote
So I guess this means Ro-Kyu-Bu will not be available in America at all now unless it show up On Demand again.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:46 am Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
So Anime Network isn't doing streaming anymore? And Hulu is removing dozens of Sentai titles. Amazon is looking even more like the new home for Sentai titles.

With the Amazon double paywall and the binge watching of Netflix, it looks the most anime-catered site Sentai could work with would be CR. Then again, there could be a conflict of interest with the CR/Funi partnership. They could always go with YouTube as YT is comparable to Netflix in terms of available countries to stream to.
CatSword

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:31 am Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
So I guess this means Ro-Kyu-Bu will not be available in America at all now unless it show up On Demand again.

Ro-Kyu-Bu! is actually available on Hidive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Which cable provider did you have, if you don't mind me asking? TAN is available on all of the major ones, including Comcast, Spectrum (Time Warner/Charter/Beighthouse)and DirecTV. I know they fell off of some smaller cable systems, and some had replaced it with the Funimation Channel (prior to them shutting down.)

But the availability of dubs and rotation of shows really depended on which provider you had and which package they offered.

Is the DISH Network not one of them? That's what I'm subscribed to and have never found The Anime Channel any time I checked. I have the middle package as I wanted to get channels not normally available on the default package like Discovery Family, The NASA Channel, The Cooking Channel, Boomerang, and GSN (though some have moved to the default package since then). Is it only available on the upper package, is it request-only, or is it not available on DISH at all?

No, Dish Network dropped them along with a few other channels some time ago. They've been pretty vocal about not paying for channels for sufficient viewership, and I'm not sure that they support subscription VOD channels at the moment. And their Sling service has very limited offerings.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
I'm pretty sure that creating a bidding war for the streaming rights to all of these titles is the exact reason this is being done.

The streaming rights are clearly their biggest asset right now. He who controls the anime spice controls the anime universe.

The service that can put together the broadest, most diverse selection of titles under one roof will probably get the customers. Anime fans for the most part are not adverse to paying for their fix; but they want as big a selection as they can get. At the moment I count 8 different streaming services with at least some exclusive content (i.e., sites with titles available on their site only), and it appears more might be entering the fray. That's a lot of options chasing our anime $$$$, and for most fans that's too many. Mergers will be inevitable, and chances are it will start with the bigger fish (like Amazon) gobbling up the smaller ones (like HiDive/Anime Network) to add to their exclusive catalogue.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
No, Dish Network dropped them along with a few other channels some time ago. They've been pretty vocal about not paying for channels for sufficient viewership, and I'm not sure that they support subscription VOD channels at the moment. And their Sling service has very limited offerings.

I see. I have never seen this channel available as part of the DISH service at any time, even when I'd have the guide set to all channels including ones I don't have access to. (And I have deliberately looked for it in the past, albeit infrequently as I can never seem to find it.)
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
this is odd..
Cable cutting has pretty much gone mainstream... The numbers don't lie and you just painted yourself into a corner.

As for yet another paid anime service.. nah I'll pass.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

I see. I have never seen this channel available as part of the DISH service at any time, even when I'd have the guide set to all channels including ones I don't have access to. (And I have deliberately looked for it in the past, albeit infrequently as I can never seem to find it.)

I think you're misunderstanding a bit. Anime Network was never really a channel on Dish. It was only On Demand programming. It wouldn't show up in their channel line ups, only when searching through programming on either Pay Per View or On Demand.

I've never had Dish, so I can't say exactly how it was set up in the past. I just know that it was there for a few years, as they had a content listing on TAN's site and Dish subscribers would give updates when they received, or didn't receive content. It's probably been at least three or four years since they were on there, though I can't remember exactly.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:05 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I think you're misunderstanding a bit. Anime Network was never really a channel on Dish. It was only On Demand programming. It wouldn't show up in their channel line ups, only when searching through programming on either Pay Per View or On Demand.

I've never had Dish, so I can't say exactly how it was set up in the past. I just know that it was there for a few years, as they had a content listing on TAN's site and Dish subscribers would give updates when they received, or didn't receive content. It's probably been at least three or four years since they were on there, though I can't remember exactly.

Ah, I thought it was an actual channel and not simply a video-on-demand service. (I don't actually use VOD services, so I would never have seen it.)
the green death

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I feel only ANO losing their streaming site would cause all those "Quit Crying you Big Baby!" ads to delete themselves from being hard wired at the front of Sentai discs. So so obnoxious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3