• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Death Note Creators Praise Netflix's Live-Action Adaptation

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
Guys, you can't just decide that the original creators' opinion is wrong just because it doesn't suit you.

Getting a creator or actor to defend a controversal product or change is very status quo in the industry. Appeal to authority fallacy is hollow and empty, and only works on gullible people.

Quote:
What do you get out of being so biased? You're just limiting the amount of stuff you can enjoy.
If one lowers their standards enough they can enjoy just about anything, this I can not deny.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:08 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
If it helps give their work a bigger audience, creators will support a live-action version no matter what. Of course, they have every right to lie or say how they really feel about it.

Indeed. Because saying negative things would be like shooting themselves in the foot, because they are getting a share of the profits. The only time I hear creators saying negative remarks ahead of release, its usually because they had no involvement.

Well at least we know they got Ryuk right, even adding on the creepy factor by x10. And given Netflix just lost a lot with Disney pulling out (moving to their own streaming service), there is much more pressure to get it right to bring or maintain it's customer base.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Puniyo wrote:
Guys, you can't just decide that the original creators' opinion is wrong just because it doesn't suit you.

Getting a creator or actor to defend a controversal product or change is very status quo in the industry. Appeal to authority fallacy is hollow and empty, and only works on gullible people.

Quote:
What do you get out of being so biased? You're just limiting the amount of stuff you can enjoy.
If one lowers their standards enough they can enjoy just about anything, this I can not deny.

Their target audience is people who don't know who the creators are, so it's not it's even going to help much.

'Hating something because it's different' isn't the same as 'having standards' lol
I could understand all the whining a bit more if there weren't already Japanese films, but there are. What do you want, for them just to completely replicate them with different actors?
InimitableUman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:30 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
Quote:
and while fans have expressed support for Willem Dafoe as apple-eating death god Ryuk, everything from the casting, the Seattle setting, and the plotting changes.

I've reread this sentence a bunch of times but I'm pretty sure it isn't a finished setting. While fans what? (I know what it's meant to say but still...)

anyway, i agree people should go into it with an open mind. Maybe the creator's enjoyed it, maybe they're lying. either way, it shouldn't impact your decision to see it, and nor should it change your enjoyment level. If you hated it but think "oh but the creator's really liked it apparently, so I guess I'm wrong", that's not good

Yeah, they definitely left words out. It makes it sound like fans are LOVING this movie.
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm gonna watch it. Its probably not going to be the best in the universe. Probably good at its best. It's an Adaption utilizing localization trying to cater to the largest audience that will be consuming it

I said I was going to remain iffy when they first announced it and I still remain on-guard, but I'm not disappointed in what I've seen from the trailers. I'll be watching it when it comes out unlike many other adaptions that have happened. Just a bit longer and we'll know for sure. I'll stay on my fence, though, until I actually sit and watch it.

On another tangent:
I mean really, you could argue all day about adaptions changing stuff but it happens all the time and has been happening for many many years. For example, I wonder how many people have read the book behind the Ghibli movie Howl's Moving Castle. Oh mah gawd the differences; the fact there is a sequel of the book is another thing as well.
IG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
SaiyamanMS wrote:
#810704 wrote:
The creators of Dragon Ball and Attack on Titans also gave their 'approval' to each of their respective films, and we all know how that turned out.

From what I recall, Toriyama never gave any clear praise to Dragonball Evolution with all his comments at the time being ambiguous in a way that could be read as either a compliment or condemnation. (Like how if you describe something as "that's really something else", it can mean either that it's incredible and unique or that it's total horse shit.) Ohba and Obata seem to have at least some genuine positivity here.

I don't want to bre rude or anything.But that artwork was created y the original creator in the article? I really doubt that if somebody really hated there film . They would make any artwork for it . They could be just polite,but still makig artwork ? Also the film crew said they were nervouse of showing the film to the creators ? Because they want them to like it ? Also the Japanese Drama series 2015 had a lot changes to it. Such as Light be a normal student, and Ryuk pusshing him at the begeningg
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
IG wrote:

I don't want to bre rude or anything.But that artwork was created y the original creator in the article? I really doubt that if somebody really hated there film . They would make any artwork for it . They could be just polite,but still makig artwork ?

It's not uncommon to produce promotional artwork, and staying in Hollywood/Netflix's good grace is benefitial to a creator who may want more work.

Regardless whether they truly love it or not, that doesn't mean other people have to.

-Stuart Smith
IG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
IG wrote:

I don't want to bre rude or anything.But that artwork was created y the original creator in the article? I really doubt that if somebody really hated there film . They would make any artwork for it . They could be just polite,but still makig artwork ?

It's not uncommon to produce promotional artwork, and staying in Hollywood/Netflix's good grace is benefitial to a creator who may want more work.

Regardless whether they truly love it or not, that doesn't mean other people have to.

-Stuart Smith

I'm not tryig to say people say people should like Here is the thing they weren't making promotional art for the film. That is fanart, and article with the quptes are from Japanese article . Why would they bother to say they enjy it to a Japanese fanbase . When this gear towards usa . It would be one thing if their comments were at a USA interviews. This is in Japan
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2