• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anime Director Yamakan Apologizes for 'Disabled' Otaku Comment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Yazu13 wrote:
It takes massive stones to insult the very people who give you a job.

For some people though, that's exactly the sort of thing they want in people they admire. I don't think Yamakan makes the sort of entertainment that brings in people like that though. He isn't Johnny Carson or Trey Parker.

Dr.N0 wrote:
As a real disabled otaku, I must admit I am more than a little pissed few seem to see much of a problem associating disabilities to an abnormal state. Sorry if I am biased, but that seems to be the more controversial point of his all-around insulting post.

Personally, I hadn't made mention of that because I felt it was obvious that he's being incredibly insensitive and insulting by comparing ACTUAL issues people have that they have no control over with people's personal preferences over a solitary activity. One is an issue people are dedicating their lives to overcoming, the other is watching TV shows.

Somehow though, this comes across for me as pretty par for the course for this man.

Chrono1000 wrote:
It is always impressive when someone insults their audience, realizes they used a poorly considered insult, and than doubles down with a different insult. What he doesn't understand is that the reason that some Hollywood celebrities get away with is that they work for huge corporations that can do damage control afterwards. Also even the worst Hollywood celebrities don't insult 100% of their audience and that level of hubris is rare.

Another thing is that westerners are not afraid to call out celebrities on social media if they get a big head and behave out of line. Happened to Mel Gibson, happened to Justin Bieber, happened to Axl Rose. Then the news jumps on these reactions and everyone finds out about it. Of course, whether they apologize and avoid making the same mistake twice or they double down and get even angrier about it depends on the person...though the latter tends not to find quite as much work in the future.

I mean, these Japanese fans aren't afraid to call out Yamakan on social media either, but I don't think this is going to be something that comes up on their news. Maybe it should. It'll give him the humble pie he needs.

FenixFiesta wrote:
Let us be frank, "watching cartoons" if you want to be taken "seriously" usually isn't considered a mature action in General Western or Japanese society, unless you are an otaku or a "former" otaku watching Anime/cartoons beyond even high school age can be taken as being "immature".

The question of the day is what is he really trying to apologize for, insulting his potential audience? making the insult in the first place? inferring the insult could be hurting those unrelated to the comment?

There's never been a cultural shame, at least in the United States, for watching the primetime animated sitcoms on FOX and the like ever since The Simpsons hammered a hole right through the Animation Age Ghetto. (Problem is that there hasn't been any other show since that's changed the popular notion quite as much.)

Velshtein wrote:
Maybe I'm weird or something, but I don't find myself offended by Yamamoto's comments.

There's been a failure to recognize the characteristics of the older anime watchers whom Yamamoto has likely been exposed to. Notice how he uses "people who watch anime past an appropriate age" and "otaku" as synonymous. Perhaps I am too optimistic, but I would expect forum posters on an anime site to be familiar with the meaning of the term "otaku" in Japanese culture versus how that term is used among Western anime fans. Otakus, as the term is understood in Japan, are not seen in a positive light by the average Japanese person. They are roughly the Japanese version of what we call "neck-beards" in the West. So Yamamoto's comments more or less reflect the sentiments of your average Japanese citizen. You might as well get angry with most of Japan while you're at it. As an anime director, one can imagine the amount of dysfunctional/unhealthy otaku he has witnessed throughout his career.

So if you ask me, the outrage expressed in this thread is misplaced, and based upon a failure to understand the types of unsavory people he has likely been exposed to.

It depends on his exact definition of "otaku," but I would bet there are plenty of hardcore fans who live and breathe anime but work normal jobs and behave professionally, politely, and courteously when in public. Heck, there are plenty of "neckbeards" here in the west who are like that too, in spite of the stereotype of maladjustment and awkwardness (though there are plenty of those too).

I've been studying fandoms for quite a while, and one pattern I've noticed is that as fans of something age, they really DO mature. By and marge, they'll reach an age where they find it silly to get mad at other people for not sharing the same opinions, where they learn how to live life as an adult and allocate time and money between what they're fans of and making a living, where they can give thought about how they come across to other people and see things through other people's perspectives, and maybe even where they can give back and take part in what they're a fan of. I didn't think it'd happen for a long while, but we're actually seeing this with the Sonic fandom of all things: Over the past 12 months, I've been seeing a greatly increasing number of YouTube comments on videos of Sonic playthroughs and feedback on Sonic fansites that are well-written, well thought out, and provide genuinely helpful advice, insight, or context, whereas prior there would've been way more "you suck" comments or profanity-saturated insults.

Similarly, while I can't speak for the state of otaku in Japan, I've seen a vast improvement in behavior in anime convention attendees in the Unites States. Remember back when the teenagers, who got lost in the fantasy world of a convention, barged into someone's wedding at a nearby hotel and wrecked everything they could find? Those teenagers have since become functioning adults and see that as an old shame. (Just don't get some of these people too drunk or you're going to get "One Punch Man Was Here" again.)
hikura

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Does he realize that the very people who he is insulting is buying his material? Last time I checked it's not a good idea to bite the hand that feeds you.
Plus it's kinda insulting to pick on people who are disabled. He would not like it people did that you him. Maybe he should be given the same treatment as he doled out.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Velshtein wrote:
Maybe I'm weird or something, but I don't find myself offended by Yamamoto's comments.

There's been a failure to recognize the characteristics of the older anime watchers whom Yamamoto has likely been exposed to. Notice how he uses "people who watch anime past an appropriate age" and "otaku" as synonymous. Perhaps I am too optimistic, but I would expect forum posters on an anime site to be familiar with the meaning of the term "otaku" in Japanese culture versus how that term is used among Western anime fans. Otakus, as the term is understood in Japan, are not seen in a positive light by the average Japanese person. They are roughly the Japanese version of what we call "neck-beards" in the West. So Yamamoto's comments more or less reflect the sentiments of your average Japanese citizen. You might as well get angry with most of Japan while you're at it. As an anime director, one can imagine the amount of dysfunctional/unhealthy otaku he has witnessed throughout his career.

So if you ask me, the outrage expressed in this thread is misplaced, and based upon a failure to understand the types of unsavory people he has likely been exposed to.
do you really think that comparing disabled people to the most negative otaku stereotypes isn't offensive? it's one thing to point out there are otaku that fit those negative stereotypes, but you can do that without equating them to disabled people. people who are physically and mentally disabled already have to deal with enough stereotyping that they don't deserve as it is.

but admittedly my perspective here is a personal one since I am an all around geek who greatly enjoys anime (and has quite a collection of DVDs and even some old VHS tapes I've never had a chance to upgrade yet) who is in their latter 30's and grew up with chronic illnesses that have progressed to the point I could fit some of those negative otaku stereotypes by virtue of my illnesses keeping me mostly stuck at home, currently without a job, and socially awkward from having far less chances for social interaction with my peers both growing up and even now. I am disabled, but equating my interest in anime (and other geeky things) to a disability is highly insulting to me.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
What I don't understand is, for all the insults and hate for Otaku, why Yamakan keep making late-night anime worthy? Miyazaki and his oldman cynicsm hating otaku was "fine", at least his works are aimed to general audience. But has he even have "anime aimed at general audience" in his resume?
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Mew Berry wrote:
No, really, I want to know what Studio Pierrot did, of all people/companies.

Their adaptations of "Naruto," "Bleach," "Twin Star Exorcists," and "Tokyo Ghoul." Need I say more? If their adaptation of "Black Clover" is actually good, I'm going to eat my shorts.
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Mew Berry wrote:
No, really, I want to know what Studio Pierrot did, of all people/companies.

Their adaptations of "Naruto," "Bleach," "Twin Star Exorcists," and "Tokyo Ghoul." Need I say more? If their adaptation of "Black Clover" is actually good, I'm going to eat my shorts.

Ah, see, I didn't watch their shonen adaptations growing up and I haven't seen the more recent series you mention either (although I have heard negative things about them so I still see your point). I've liked most of their series I've seen, but I suspect I've probably been watching different ones than you have, so I guess it's all subjective.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why manga doesn't suffer from the same prejudice in Japan? Well, I was reading a book by a sociologist about manga that a Japanese authority said something of the sort: "40 year olds shouldn't read manga, they should read books because manga tells them the information with pictures and that is too easy".

Anyway, it is really weird for someone in 2017 to say something like this even more for a creator of anime aimed at adults to say something like this. I have a theory about that: I think that Japan has a deep sense of inferiority regarding itself relative to Western culture. Hence, the Japanese themselves think their own culture is inferior and therefore think that the people who appreciate Japanese culture are inferior.

Animation and comics are something very Japanese since it they are mediums that do not exist in the west to a comparable extent. Therefore, it is an inferior medium for inferior people: since their Western overlords don't care about comics and animation the colonized Japanese should also conform to their tastes. Literature and live action, being Western cultural mediums, are regarded as superior mediums by the Japanese since their overlords like those mediums.

This mentality has created its own problems. It is perhaps the main reason why the amount of manga and anime aimed at mature adults, such as Hyouge Mono, is a small fraction of total Japanese output.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
There's never been a cultural shame, at least in the United States, for watching the primetime animated sitcoms on FOX and the like ever since The Simpsons hammered a hole right through the Animation Age Ghetto. (Problem is that there hasn't been any other show since that's changed the popular notion quite as much.)

There is no cultural shame in Japan for watching stuff like Sazae-san and Miyazaki's movies either. The cultural shame from anime partly derives from the fact it is heavily sexualized and partly because it takes itself seriously. Or do you think nobody in the US would feel shamed if they masturbated to Lisa Simpson?

Think of something like Evangelion, that is something impossible to exist in Western culture since it combines: animation with underage eroticism with thematic sophistication and with heavy drama. In other words, it is animation that demands from the viewer to be taken dead seriously. Western animation like The Simpsons does not demand to be taken dead seriously: it is a just a "cartoon".

And that is the problem with Japanese anime fans: they take seriously an art form that Western culture does not. Since the Japanese regard themselves as inferior to the West and wish to be close to Western culture they want to conform to Western cultural standards And anime fans are by definition rebelling against that conformity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:20 pm Reply with quote
For all the hate Yamakan seems to have towards otaku, he seems to have no problem producing anime made for late-night viewing. I think he's letting his ego ruin his judgement a bit...
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Isn't this the genius who crowdfunded his anime movie from Chinese fans and then started ranting about the "merits" of the Japanese invasion in WWII?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3