• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is Anime Streaming Consumer-Friendly Right Now?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiflan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
As for the comparisons to the music industry, I don't think that's very accurate here. Most "artists" in the world of music are responsible for most of the work--they write, perform, and record their works. Animation is very different:

An animation studio is a contractor. They are hired to do the work the production committee pays them to do. It's no different than hiring a contractor to build a new home. The contractor has nothing to do with the design of the home, the artistic vision of the architect, or anything else really. All they do is execute the job according to the plans provided. In that regard an "animator" working on our favorite new show is not any different than a plumber or electrician who is hired to work on a building. The animators themselves aren't particularly creative. They draw someone else's character designs, just as how a contractor builds someone else's building design. Do people complain that the plumbers and the electricians don't get their cut of the money when there is a big sports event or concert held at the stadium they worked on?

At best you might consider animators to be in a similar position as session musicians. Yes, they are doing a creative performance to some level, but it's limited. They are simply executing someone else's work.
Saidah Gilbert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Shiflan wrote:
Saidah Gilbert wrote:
Perhaps anime streaming needs to be like cable TV?

I'm not sure what it's like in Trindad and Tobago, but in the US cable TV is very expensive compared to Anime streaming services. For the price of a cable TV subscription you could subscribe to ALL the anime streaming services and still have money left over.

There are only about three anime streaming companies that I can access here in Trinidad and Tobago and even those don't let me access everything because of region licences. If I subscribed to all of them, it would cost as much as cable does per month in my country.
I didn't realise that cable was so expensive in the US. Y'all probably get more channels than are included in packages down here.
Nate148

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
jakewil85 wrote:
Netflix - simulcasting and standalone anime subscription

While I can see why their lack of simulcasting may be a problem, I'm not really seeing why Netflix would ever do standalone anime subscriptions. Netflix doesn't do standalone subscriptions for anything else it has. There's no reason it'd make an exception for anime.

Daizo wrote:
In terms of subtitle styling, Crunchyroll has always been the leader of the pack, but they've also been hopelessly behind fansubs since their inception. Sentai is basically the only other company that tries to do some sign styling, while with everyone else it's pretty much a joke. No-one certainly seems too interested in reaching higher in this regard, even when they're hardsubbing the signs into the video and could really do anything (including reaching the level of fansubs).

This is something I find kind of interesting about anime fans: They go all out with fonts and colors and such. Among foreign film viewers, they don't care one bit about that, and many would even find it distracting as it calls attention to itself.

Personally, I prefer my subtitles to be as plain as possible. I want to forget I'm reading something at the bottom of the screen. I've seen some fansubs for stuff like One Piece where they'll actually animate the letters and such, and it always got annoying to me because it felt like they're saying, "Look at us! We made these subtitles!"

Daizo wrote:
Beyond this, something I feel the article didn't address enough was the fact that even in the current situation with multiple services, there are ways in which things could be improved without completely overhauling the system. Namely, by actually letting people digitally buy series. And by buy I really mean buy, ie. giving the users DRM-free downloads. The European anime company Wakanim recently expanded their service to Scandinavia, and beyond offering the usual subscription service for watching stuff online, they also let you actually buy series digitally at reasonable price (1€ per episode or 10€ for a cour, ie. 10-13 episodes depending on the series). The video quality is also really good, beating out even Amazon. So while it might be a bit annoying that they've nabbed some local licenses from Crunchyroll (which I have a subscription to), at the same time I'm actually glad for this when it comes to series I really like and want to own, because Wakanim enables this and actually delivers good quality products (well, they do have plenty of room for improvement in terms of subtitle styling, but seriously the video encoding is really nice).

Something DRM-free AND pay-to-own would terrify the content owners though, as there's theoretically nothing preventing you from creating copies of it and sharing it with everyone you know. How did the anime companies let Wakanim get away with this, and how has Wakanim remained profitable in this way?

Halko wrote:
Going down that path will just mean that there will be no more indie success stories. Your either double platinum or not selling a single record and homeless.

Hope is not lost for the indie scene, but for a totally different reason: Unique to the music industry, or at least stronger in it than any other medium by a longshot, is a "fight the man" kind of mentality, and this includes supporting local and small-level bands and musicians and, inf act, buying physical albums from them. It's strong enough that indie groups can survive and be profitable (or at least not homeless), though they'll have problems breaking out and upwards. (Some bands aren't too interested in that though.)

I honestly don't know what the future of the music business will be though. Perhaps they'll be centered around licenses as songs get used in other media. (I can't make heads or tails out of Spotify's business structure, really. I thought they'd be supported through ads, but apparently not?)

Wakanim is owned by Aniplex
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Justin wrote:
That's a lot of services to subscribe to, especially for the young and broke (as anime fans tend to be),

My view is that this is the most important matter to which to attend. The relative decline in younger persons' incomes renders the emergence of new paywalls all the less palatable. Crunchyroll show adequate clemency with their free tier, perhaps in part out of a desire to be seen as being considerate, though the industry's newer mainstays are not so alike in compassion.

With such companies' business models being as they are, the empirical aspects of moral appeals against fansubs lose much of their force.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PulsarSmash

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Amazon: The double paywall is silly. If youre paying for Prime, you should have access.

Netflix: the occasional simulcast would be nice, but I dont think asking them to do a discounted anime-only service is realistic. Netflix is not a niche product, its a mainstream one (like Amazon). Their priority is catering to the general viewing public, not to hardcore otaku. If they come across the occasional show that they feel has crossover potential (like a Little Witch Academia or a Seven Deadly Sins) than it makes sense to have that as part of their lineup.

I honestly prefer Amazon's service to Crunchyroll for one reason: they simply have more shows I actually want to see. Crunchyroll has a ton of content but a lot of it just isn't my bag. Amazon has more of the exclusives I want, plus they have a great selection of movies. Quality over quantity.
Daizo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
This is something I find kind of interesting about anime fans: They go all out with fonts and colors and such. Among foreign film viewers, they don't care one bit about that, and many would even find it distracting as it calls attention to itself.

Personally, I prefer my subtitles to be as plain as possible. I want to forget I'm reading something at the bottom of the screen. I've seen some fansubs for stuff like One Piece where they'll actually animate the letters and such, and it always got annoying to me because it felt like they're saying, "Look at us! We made these subtitles!"

To clarify: I also don't like these kind of "attack effects" or other animated nonsense with the dialogue (however, there is a time and place for certain minimal effects even for dialogue, eg. giving a fade to a line that matches up with an onscreen fade). What I was talking about was sign typesetting, ie. how translation for on-screen text it handled. Generally speaking, the ideal for typesetting is for the translation to blend in as much as possible with the original to minimize distraction and reproduce the effect of the original in the target language viewer. For example:

With good typesetting, not only does onscreen text become more clear for the non-Japanese viewer, it also ends up being less distracting since it doesn't clash with the original. Official subs have been notably lackluster in this department, though - with companies like Funimation and Aniplex, you generally get unformatted walls of text at the top of the screen at best. Crunchyroll tries the most, but they're limited by their usage of softsubs and the capabilities of their subtitle renderer. Sentai also tries to do it and hardsubs the results, but sadly their styling sensibilities are pretty... lacking.

Also, as for why you mainly see this with anime and not (foreign) films in general, it's because anime is pretty unique in terms of how much it actually ends up using on-screen text, as well as how relatively easy it is to replicate said on-screen text in a translation due to the limited nature of the animation.
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Everyone thought streaming was going to be the answer and the days of the cable bill were going to be over, but companies caught wind of this attitude and are now trying to make streaming just as expensive as a damn cable bill. Confused The only advantage compared to cable is really being able to watch the content whenever you want on any device you want.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hardgear

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Your efforts are worth what people will pay for them, no more, no less. Do you have ANY IDEA how many restaurants, stores, book series, manga, TV shows, etc that I LOVED but will never get more of because my personal interest was not enough to sustain them? I bought JAPANESE laserdiscs back when they were like $100 for 2-3 episodes and STILL saw series that I was following evaporate. So telling me musicians still need to tour rather than being able to earn a living wage just on royalties doesn't do a damn thing to earn my sympathies.

THANK YOU! I'm glad someone else said exactly what I was thinking.

If I ever happen to become a billionaire, I'll never allow something I like to disappear again. But I doubt that will ever happen lol. For now what money I can spare is well spent on Patreon as far as I'm concerned.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Theoretically, in the long term, all three companies will be better off for it, even if it may arguably never be as good for the consumer as the "golden age" of Crunchyroll having everything in one place. In practice though, I doubt that will happen.

I'd like to believe that Amazon will eventually stop using the double paywall for anime at least and that Netflix will start simulcasting. The problem is that unlike Crunchyroll, these two companies are not focused on anime nearly as much. I don't see them changing their business models just because anime users are used to Crunchyroll's system and price. Furthermore, any disadvantage caused by the increase in price and inconvenience can be rectified by getting all of the good shows with their increased capital. If Crunchyroll loses the three-way standoff, the otaku consumer is the one that suffers the most, crushed by the low standards the mainstream have for the Amazon channel and Netflix.

I guarantee that more people will start pirating as pirating is far more convenient than paying a double paywall or waiting for Netflix. Crunchyroll had a fee, but it at least made it easy to pay and easy to watch anime. Doing it legally as opposed to illegally wasn't a huge hassle. That's not the case for Prime or Netflix.

On a slightly related note, I suspect something similar will occur when Disney and various other companies start their own streaming services to compete with Netflix. If it gets overly expensive and inconvenient to do it legally, the consumer will either not do it or do it illegally, both which affect the companies involved in the same way in the end. Or return to cable I suppose, which would be funny.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I wish that every simulcast streaming company would put their shows on steam - maybe it sounds stupid to some people, but I love the fact that I pay for shows that I WANT to watch. I don't want to give any penny to help produce shitty animes that I don't like.
This is why I love a Steam's anime distribution system. You love Kemono Friends? Buy it and watch. Tanya the Evil? Here it is. Oh, you don't like new Berserk anime? Welp, just don't spent your money on it.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Another reason for my above comments is that I think the "future" is a return to the past. The one thing the music industry has going for it is people still appreciate it as a "performance" medium. In many people's minds nothing beats the "fidelity" of a live performance, and thus a musician can ALWAYS (assuming they have anything people want to hear) earn a living performing. Yes, it's convenient when they can live off of NOT performing (ie. recordings) but if not, they can just go on tour. If they don't like that, then they shouldn't choosing PERFORMING as a career.

I remember listening to a podcast in which Ed Robertson (Barenaked Ladies) say something like that, that they do WAY more tours now than they used to, both because they're not making nearly as much money as they used to, but, which is more interesting to me, the demand for live tours from them has increased. He says that what's considered a good selling song in the 2010's is literally about one-tenth of what would've been good-selling in the 90's, but the tours are making up for that in terms of financial viability, albeit not completely. (They're still getting a good deal of royalties though, especially from "One Week.")

It does make me ponder about the increase in demand for live performances though. Me, I think it's also the effect of an increasingly online world: People just get stir-crazy and want to get out more, and you might as well do it to get an experience that cannot be replicated at home and can only happen at one location at a time.

I think another reason for the troubles in popular music is similar to what happened for television: It's become increasingly fragmented and specialized. It used to be, for television, that you'd watch what's on ABC, NBC, CBS, and Dumont. Since there were so few choices, television programming was aimed at wide, general audiences, and huge amounts of the US population would be watching a particular show. This made it easy for a TV show to be a phenomenon and tremendously profitable. With cable, there came many, many more channels, and television became narrowcast. A show like Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives would never have gotten the viewership of something like See It Now even if it was on one of those core broadcast channels. That is, television became more oriented towards niche but dedicated audiences (not unlike most anime coming out today), which is less profitable but a primary way to survive with so much competition in other programs.

With music, I'm seeing something similar: Over the 2010's, for the first time, there is no particular genre or style dominating the Billboard charts. I mean, within the span of 12 months, we went from the #1 hit as "Happy," an homage to feel-good early urban funk with hints of doo-wop, to "Gangnam Style," a rap song in Korean centered on wordplay to a heavy stomping EDM beat. This means one of two things: Either 1) music listeners are up for pretty much anything, or, more likely, 2) there are many small factions centered on a genre or style competing with each other for the top spot.

Daizo wrote:
To clarify: I also don't like these kind of "attack effects" or other animated nonsense with the dialogue (however, there is a time and place for certain minimal effects even for dialogue, eg. giving a fade to a line that matches up with an onscreen fade). What I was talking about was sign typesetting, ie. how translation for on-screen text it handled. Generally speaking, the ideal for typesetting is for the translation to blend in as much as possible with the original to minimize distraction and reproduce the effect of the original in the target language viewer. For example:

With good typesetting, not only does onscreen text become more clear for the non-Japanese viewer, it also ends up being less distracting since it doesn't clash with the original. Official subs have been notably lackluster in this department, though - with companies like Funimation and Aniplex, you generally get unformatted walls of text at the top of the screen at best. Crunchyroll tries the most, but they're limited by their usage of softsubs and the capabilities of their subtitle renderer. Sentai also tries to do it and hardsubs the results, but sadly their styling sensibilities are pretty... lacking.

Also, as for why you mainly see this with anime and not (foreign) films in general, it's because anime is pretty unique in terms of how much it actually ends up using on-screen text, as well as how relatively easy it is to replicate said on-screen text in a translation due to the limited nature of the animation.

(images removed for length and loading)

I see what you mean. I think having it blend in that way, like with Kill la Kill, is still kind of distracting, but I guess that comes down to what I've been used to. With me, it's because the subtitles are up there, floating around with the rest of the image. Best-case scenario, at least with the Kill la Kill case, is to replace the Japanese text with the letters themselves, but I know that's largely not possible due to it taking way too much time, money, and resources. (Viz's more popular manga does that, even with the big sound effect kana plastered over impact shots, which I enjoy.) That second example is definitely quite bad, as the words are superimposed over the Japanese text itself, and seemingly with no consistency over where they're located.

I can see how doing it in that Kill la Kill way would actually be MORE subtle than having small yellow or white text in Arial at the bottom or top edge of the screen for some people, though I'm not part of that group. Also a good point in that it's easier to do something like this for anime than for live-action, which would require a Hollywood-level special effects or film restoration team to pull off.

I suppose one analogy to it, which I think I used before, is the pot you put your plant in. If you want to grow a bright and vivid plant, like a poinsettia, are you going to pick a pot with a lot of details and patterns on it (the fansubs with with those effects and elaborate fonts)? Will you pick a pot with a bright color that complements the flowers* (those subs you pointed out that match the style of the onscreen Japanese text)? Or do you pick a plain, unpainted clay pot (the simple foreign film subtitling standard)?

* And I know the bright red (or various other colors) parts of a poinsettia plant are its leaves, not its flowers.

CatSword wrote:
Everyone thought streaming was going to be the answer and the days of the cable bill were going to be over, but companies caught wind of this attitude and are now trying to make streaming just as expensive as a damn cable bill. Confused The only advantage compared to cable is really being able to watch the content whenever you want on any device you want.

Cable used to be really cheap too, but then the TV channels skyrocketed the fees that the cable and satellite providers had to pay to show those channels. The reason streaming is still cheap is that the content producers aren't charging them as much. It's only a matter of time until they do and streaming will become MORE expensive than cable and satellite and/or even more full of advertisements. (Remember that the original draw of cable was its lack of commercials too!)
moogrin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't love shows being spread across many platforms but I can live with it, if only those platforms worked. I subscribed to Funimation for a few months from the end of last year through early 2017 for a few dubs I wanted to watch, and the whole time I was beset by technical problems. I emailed funimation about them a bunch of times and sometimes got no response at all, or sometimes got "we'll get back to you" and then they would, four weeks later. Some of the problems never got fixed and others took months to fix. It was a terrible customer experience. I canceled my subscription.

I currently have a subscription to Crunchyroll I'm thinking of canceling when it comes up for yearly renewal in January. The Crunchyroll app on my Roku hasn't been working right for probably over half a year now. Again I emailed their tech support about this, and while I actually got reasonably timely responses from them unlike Funimation, nothing they suggested fixed my problem and I keep having the issue (slow loading times and some shows won't ever load at all). It's weird because before whenever this started their app worked great. And it still usually works okay on my PC although I get some weird bugs depending on browser. Basically I want to support Crunchyroll but I hate paying for a buggy service that causes me endless headaches. Paying for streaming should make things CONVENIENT and allow me to easily watch on all my devices.

Netflix ticks me off because I've had issues with buggy subtitles from them for years. Sometimes a whole subtitled line just gets dropped and doesn't appear on the screen. This happens with non-anime foreign language media as well. For this reason I avoid watching anime on Netflix if I can find it anywhere else.

The Amazon double paywall and the fact that they're Amazon (being such a huge company with questionable business practices) kind of annoys me but honestly, I would pay for it if they got enough good shows and didn't have the bugs that make all these other platforms frustrating to me. Although I don't know how good their UI/etc is right now. I did have just plain Amazon TV through Prime once in the past and I wasn't wild about the interface then, I found it really hard to search for things, have a queue etc. But maybe they have improved since then.

So really I would just like something that actually works and is easy to use on all my devices and gets at least a good amount of shows I am interested in. Which currently doesn't seem to exist.
Halko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Halko wrote:
Now this whole argument here is total bullshit. Your essentially saying that creators should not get paid appropriately for their work.

What is "paid appropriately"? There's 2 musicians, 1 makes millions off of 1 song and another gets paid $100/night to play a gig. If you're ABLE to sell yourself to the tune of millions, bully for you. But don't whine to me that "the industry" is in a death spiral and you're not making money hand over fist from back end sales that you haven't put effort into.

Your efforts are worth what people will pay for them, no more, no less. Do you have ANY IDEA how many restaurants, stores, book series, manga, TV shows, etc that I LOVED but will never get more of because my personal interest was not enough to sustain them? I bought JAPANESE laserdiscs back when they were like $100 for 2-3 episodes and STILL saw series that I was following evaporate. So telling me musicians still need to tour rather than being able to earn a living wage just on royalties doesn't do a damn thing to earn my sympathies.

And the difference between those two musicians is that one is selling millions of records and the other is selling hundreds. Saying that the guy selling millions of records should make the same as the guy selling hundreds is flat out retarded. Royalties are by definition a portion of the profits. The more profits the more earned by royalties. What your doing by removing most of the traditional sales is cut even more of that from the people that need it more which are the smaller guys.

Yes people will pay what they think something is worth but when your pricing unlimited access to hundreds of thousands of songs for $15 a month guess what the average song is worth. Almost nothing. Its crashing its own market. Its got nothing to do about invoking sympathy. It has everything to do about doing what you can to survive and if this trend continues too long there will be a crash.

Remember the anime bubble in the US a while back? Bad choices repeated for too long leads to shit like that. You can cry and bemoan about how whatever you like has gone away but at the end of the day they failed because they probably made mistakes. Either they failed to draw customers failed to keep customers or failed before they started by not even having a market to sell to. That doesnt mean that the ones that ARE successful suddenly are evil tyrants that dont deserve their earnings.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the followup article! Though I think you hit the nail on the head with the Spotify argument and the biggest reason why Netflix and Amazon could be the death of the anime industry in the west.

Basically in this day and age, companies (especially streaming/entertainment companies) need to find ways to actually make money. And as we've seen with every streaming industry, increasing prices (Hulu), or splitting up the content to multiple services (music exclusives), do NOT increase the money being made. The biggest reason I hate Amazon with a burning passion is they were the champions of this. For the last 20 years, they have only had a handful of quarters where they actually made money yet they became this giant super corporation where it doesn't matter if they make money. They can just keep going further into debt or not make a profit and it does is it puts their competitors out of business.

Netflix isn't much better as they can't turn a profit either, but the idea that certain companies get a pass when it comes to actually being financially viable is the reason why small companies continue to close at a rapid rate, and there are less small companies being made now than in the last 40 years. Your Spotify example is another great example of how it's destroying the music industry in many ways because it can't turn a profit. And honestly consumers don't benefit from that either as eventually their content is lost because the creators cannot provide it financially any more.

So what is the solution? I have no idea. That's the biggest issue we need to solve. Japan has the unique idea of other products making up a lot of the cost and maybe that's one solution. From everything we can tell, Crunchyroll seems to be making money. Whether that's because of their store, advertising, convention, or other physical merchandise, or that maybe they don't have ceo's who make billions of dollars, who knows? But the fact that they live and die off of anime revenues makes me more than happy to support them. They have already shown for the last 5 years that the more money they make, the more they focus on anime. Whether by promoting it more, making sure consumers get more access to anime, or bringing over obscure titles that would never be licensed otherwise. It's the same reason why I like supporting Funimation, Rightstuf, and (previously) Sentai. I know by supporting any company whose primary income and investment is anime, it's doing the industry well. As they are doing everything in their power to keep the industry a float. Netflix and Amazon? They don't care about anime, they never cared about anime, they never NEEDED anime to survive, so they'll continue to operate making no money in order to starve the industry out of competitors.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I think one issue is that the competing streaming companies haven't gotten cheaper as they've had to split their catalogues with competitors.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9