• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Aren't Master Tape Formats Used Everywhere?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
All those years springing for high end, high fidelity equipment and now there is a whole generation of people who listen to all their music on $2 ear buds attached to some sort of MP 3 player. Not unlike some guy buying a 65 inch 4K TV with seven channel surround sound to get one up on his neighbor who only had a miserable 55 incher. Meanwhile his kids are watching all their movies on a pad or a smart phone. Twisted Evil
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Records, what people now call vinyl, required a whole ritual of cleaning, de-static treatment, high end electronics and finger tip handling. That is if you wanted to maintain the sound. The hiss, pop and click sounds people refer to are usually evidence of improper treatment or poor equipment. They could produce superb sound. But that required expert recording, immaculate pressing and very high end playback equipment. Unfortunately that sound degraded somewhat with every replay. CDs got rid of all that in a year or two after introduction. Especially for popular music which is where all the business was anyway.

Does analog sound better than digital? I don't know, I never did hear any difference. I suppose if you have the "golden ears" people talk about or if you are good at kidding yourself there may be something there. For most of us, no, not at all.

That's the thing though: You're assuming these people are picking up vinyl because they want some sort of superior sound quality. Some of them would do that, and they would try to maintain them well. But those are not the sort of people to go shopping at a thrift store for vinyl. They would go to dedicated music stores or other miscellaneous retailers to buy them new. These people, the ones who would shop for vinyl in thrift stores, are the ones for whom the "hiss, pop, and click sounds," as well as a continuous low static, are part of the appeal. They're not going to maintain the vinyls in the way you describe. They're deliberately seeking out used vinyl because it's been worn and broken in by the previous users. (I guess it goes hand in hand with those film fans who prefer analog means of viewing because they want to see the grain, the scratches, and the various imperfections in the means of display. Or how artificial ruins were popular in western Europe in the 18th century.)

As for me, I'm not an audiophile, so I never heard any benefit to music recorded in analog means versus digital. All of my music is in digital formats.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
All those years springing for high end, high fidelity equipment and now there is a whole generation of people who listen to all their music on $2 ear buds attached to some sort of MP 3 player. Not unlike some guy buying a 65 inch 4K TV with seven channel surround sound to get one up on his neighbor who only had a miserable 55 incher.

Every time a neighbor (we live in the college district, and guess what's the first biggest dream any lil' college kiddie-winkle has when they move out of the dorms and gain independence Away From Their Parents?) turns up their stereo, I have the urge to comically lay into them, "Who even BUYS stereos anymore? What do you PLAY on them?...CD's? The radio?? It's all sound-bars and Amazon-cylinders now anyway!"

And then I have the urge to heckle them with that "Ruthless People" scene where Best Buys and stereo stores just wait for a college kid to start looking at the big expensive speakers... Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3