• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Does An Anime's Budget Affect Its Quality?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
It's crazy to me that studios like Production IG, Madhouse, A-1, Trigger, Shaft, and Wit who are known for their animation quality charge the same as some joke studio that has only put out poor quality animation. Or that like the animation director on award winning shows time and time again doesn't get to charge more than some no name guy whose only done middling stuff.

Production Committees can be complicated, and the amount the studio animating the show gets isn't exactly the same across the board, but there is much less variation than people often think. And directors are usually freelance, so they can charge varying rates if they so choose, but most would rather have consistent work, so they also aren't asking for ridiculously large sums.
Time is the more important thing here. Studios like the ones you mentioned don't have to worry about not having work because they are in the privileged position of being in demand thanks to their good work. Most of them are already scheduled well through 2018, and some all the way through 2020! A studio that does not have the reputation of these guys is going to be free and available much more often(and likely much more at risk of going out of business). They end up getting work simply because they are available in this market, but if work dries up a little, they will go out of business and the more prominent studios will continue to be fine.

Quote:
I can't imagine a studio going in and being basically told that there just isn't money to be made in Naruto, Dragon Ball, One Piece, and every other popular show. "Nobody is eating off these shows. Hell, I'd like a raise too but there's just no money to be had in anime."

The shows you just listed are mostly owned by the studios making them, so the studios, in this case Pierrot and Toei, do make a lot of money off of them.
And many other popular shows are the same deal, Bandai has ownership over Sunrise with Gundam, Love Live, etc. Production IG has financial stakes in Ancient Magus Bride, KyoAni has ownership over a lot of their projects, Bones is on the production Committee for a number of their big shows, etc.
It's not that studios are being told there isn't money to be made, or believe that for a second, but there is a lot of risk involved, so studios can't afford to own everything they make. It's a bad situation that is perpetuated by the production committee system, but it's not as easy as just charging significantly more than your competing studios(they might charge a little more, but it's not like an Ufotable show costs twice as much as a DEEN show, as many fans easily seem to imagine). That's how you quickly go out of business.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But these days, most late night TV shows are all coming in around the US$320,000 per episode mark. That's simply the going price at which most production committees have standardized. This is actually quite a jump from about a decade ago, when some shows were regularly coming in at under US$200,000. I haven't yet been able to get to the bottom of why budgets have increased so much, but I'm guessing it has to do with the sheer volume of production, and the fact that anime companies are so overbooked with work that they can afford to turn down an under-funded project.

Is that before or after taking inflation into account? I can't really be sure of it, but I get the hunch that US$320,000 in 2017 is not significantly worth more than US$200,000 in 2007.

revolutionotaku wrote:
I remember seeing the Colossal Titan in the second season of "Attack on Titan" & it looked like something out of an episode of "ReBoot".

As a fan of ReBoot, I'm not sure if you mean that as a complaint or a compliment.

fathomlessblue wrote:
This entity already kind of exists. It's called the Japanese videogame industry. The pay working for most game companies is considerably better, while the hours, although still horrific, is thought slightly less awful when compared to working in anime (outside of crunch periods at least). There's been a fair bit of buzz from seasoned professionals about how younger animators struggling to make ends meet are often poached or change professions voluntary in search of better career prospects.

Sometimes, it feels like the only well-animated 3DCG coming out of Japan is coming from its video games. I mean, they're producing stuff like Night of the Werehog just for promotional purposes, which to this day still runs circles around Japanese cinematic 3DCG in the fluidity and detail of how every character moves. (Then again, maybe I'm a bit biased because Night of the Werehog follows WESTERN principles of animation, whereas anime has always run on its own variations which don't necessarily translate to 3DCG so well.)
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:22 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Quote:
But these days, most late night TV shows are all coming in around the US$320,000 per episode mark. That's simply the going price at which most production committees have standardized. This is actually quite a jump from about a decade ago, when some shows were regularly coming in at under US$200,000. I haven't yet been able to get to the bottom of why budgets have increased so much, but I'm guessing it has to do with the sheer volume of production, and the fact that anime companies are so overbooked with work that they can afford to turn down an under-funded project.

Is that before or after taking inflation into account? I can't really be sure of it, but I get the hunch that US$320,000 in 2017 is not significantly worth more than US$200,000 in 2007

$200,000 in 2007 dollars would be about $234,472.80 in today’s dollars, so that isn’t enough to explain the increase in per episode costs. ($320,000 in today’s dollars would be $272,952.77 in 2007).
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote
Japan experienced deflation after the 2007 crash. Prices today are only a few points higher than in 2007, driven largely by the policies of Abe Government.

https://tradingeconomics.com/japan/consumer-price-index-cpi

The index has risen only from 97 to 101 over the past decade.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Huh, all right then. Everything around here seems to cost a good 50% more now than it did 10 years ago, but maybe the prices of things around here have risen disproportionately comapred to the rest of the United States.
reanimator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:05 pm Reply with quote
As budget is limited as it is, dividing that $320,000/episode to 150-200 people in a span of 3 months is not helping anyone in a long run.

In my opinion, there are way too many people working on a TV animation episode. Sure we the fans get to see prettier animations thanks to more of them, but it hurts prospects of new (and talented) people who want to join the industry and experienced artists not getting pay.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:59 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
As budget is limited as it is, dividing that $320,000/episode to 150-200 people in a span of 3 months is not helping anyone in a long run.

In my opinion, there are way too many people working on a TV animation episode. Sure we the fans get to see prettier animations thanks to more of them, but it hurts prospects of new (and talented) people who want to join the industry and experienced artists not getting pay.

As bad as the situation is, in particular for junior animators, there's no escaping the unfortunate economics of small, niche audiences combined with the ton of man-hours required for nice f-b-f animation. I think software like Disney's Paperman can alleviate some of the costs but only to a certain extent. Not sure if there's any way around this unless we want most of anime looking like South Park or Family Guy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3